1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. gate470

gate470 Rookie

David Lee doesn't have near as many fans as the players ahead of him. It's about the fans voting in the players they want to see.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is where you cannot rely on numbers. Howard hasn't been playing well at all. Absolutely no lift, very poor on the defensive end & getting manhandled by guys like Rasheed Wallace & Harrison Barnes. Bigs don't fear Howard anymore close to the rim. He isn't healthy at all (no explosion whatsoever) and guys are taking advantage of that, particularly guys who he used to embarrass back when he was healthy. He likely won't be healthy until sometime next season in my opinion & it is a question mark if he will ever be as good as he once was before.

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Okay for the sake of education I'll break it down the logic of your statement then and then be finished with this discussion as again....this isn't the forum for it:

"Lin surges on the hardcore religious nuts vote, creeping up on CP3...can CP3 pull an Obama?"

the logic of your statement assumes Lin is getting an extraordinarily large number of votes from what you call "hardcore religious nuts" implying there are a significant number out there to make a difference in Lin's standing.

If you're now implying that the reference for "religious nut" is only for a very small few "extremist" out there and none should take offense then these "few" shouldn't really have any impact on Lin's voting by comparison to all the other "normal" religious people who vote for Lin that would (statistically speaking) outnumber the few extreme "nuts".

It all comes down to how you define "hardcore religious nut" and how people of deep faith interpret that post.

Your initial post implies that if you are "religious" and vote for Lin because he is a Christian (like them), they must fall in the category of "hardcore nut" since they most likely constitute the majority of Lin's votes as you suggest. If you're distinguishing "normal" religious people from the "hardcore nut" then statistically speaking they wouldn't have any real impact on the voting then would they since there are only a few. Hence the implication of your initial post.

All this being said, I am a devout Christian. I am about as "religious" as they come in that I'm a theologically trained minister who leads and trains other people for ministry. I share the same beliefs as Lin and we come from the same Asian American subculture. But I've never voted for him in the All Star ballot because he doesn't deserve it.

I understand your statement is not meant to imply an association between people of faith and "crazy", but the way your logic is setup it creates an unintended association between people who are religious and voted for Lin (and/or not Obama) with being an extremist nut.

This might not be the way all "religious" people here take it.....but that's how I could easily take it to mean. Any way point being....I'm just asking you to try to be mindful about throwing those words around as it can derail a discussion very easily and turn a thread into an uncivil place quickly.

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Try this..

14ppg, 7rpg, 2apg.. and his team is currently not in playoff contention.. Does this player deserve to be an all-star?

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Meh, Lakers are sucking and that's all I care about. :)

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

What ramifications that teams will start gunning for him. That is silly & overly sensationalistic. He received a lot more attention last year from opposing teams & his confidence was fine. And if his confidence did suffer from it well then he is kind of being a bit of a b*tch & needs to grow a pair.

Now that I think about it I remember last year Kobe's nose broke in the All Star Games. James Harden better stay as far as possible away from Dwayne Wade.

7. torocan

torocan Member

I wonder how much the All Star vote for Houston players is being hurt by the lack of a CSNHOuston deal?

It definitely can't be helping that so many fans can't even watch the games...

8. Mock

Mock Member

I don't understand how the J-Lin fans are not voting for James Harden aswell?

You would think hey im gonna vote for jermey line oh yeah im gonna vote for his colleague to who is the 4th leading scorer in the league and who is actually better to

VOTE FOR JAMES HARDEN AND LAY OFF THE J-LIN VOTES

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

It's different though, outside of NY, players around the league adore him and his story. If he gets voted in, that could change and players might want him to start "knowing his place." Especially if he gets it over Westbrook and Tony Parker.

10. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Maybe you should quit complaining, put your money where your mouth is and vote for James Harden yourself? There are 4 ways to do it everyday...

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Whether it effects Lin's play or not who knows but one thing for sure is he will receive a lot more pressure and backlash if he makes it.

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

Aww Lin...I guess it's true that China doesn't like you or you would be in the million votes by now.
    It's okay...underdogs don't make the All Star Game. But you're an all star to the 75% who voted you as their favorite player on Clutchfans.

All the American and China Lin detractors can just go play in the corner sandbox with each other. The irony.

13. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

If Comcast had a deal set with Dishnetwork, DirectTv, UVERSE, perhaps Lin and Harden would be leading, thanks alot Comcast!

14. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Too late now for that.

He has a big chance of getting in by coach's vote.

15. Luckystrike

Luckystrike Member

Hmm i think that is why the starting lineup is being voted by fans ., if the nba just want the best of the best they can just ask the coaches and players themselves, who should be in.

I dont have problems with lin being the starting line up., if thats the fans want it
    (But i disagree with that)

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

That's some pretty weak-minded logic. You're assuming that Lin wouldn't be able to handle it if players try to make him 'know his place'. As if there isn't already a huge target on his back, and hasn't been his whole life. Did it ever occur to you that he already gets other players' best shots and he's still doing fine? Jeremy's a big boy, I'm sure he'll be able to take care of himself.

17. Jedster

Jedster Member

Your post doesn't even make any sense. You're asking Jeremy Lin fans to STOP voting for Lin and vote for Harden in bold? Meanwhile you're arguing that Jeremy Lin fans should vote for Harden while voting for Lin.

Harden is the best player on the Rockets. There's no denying that. But face it guys, Lin is the lightning rod for attention...good or bad. If he wasn't, you wouldn't even be talking about him.

18. manning

manning Member

i don't think that all the chinese people will vote for Lin. :rolleyes:

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm hoping the trend holds and Lin just misses the popular vote and Harden is put in by the coaches. I would be straight embarassed to see Lin in ASG and Harden out.

20. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Jeremy Lin alone is what got the Rockets more nationally televised games. (Since Harden wasn't traded here yet of course). The games that most of the Rockets fans are able to watch are because of those nationally televised games. If how played last season with the Knicks is the reason why he's getting so much attention, then so what?! If he ends up on the All Star team instead of Harden, then so what?! Let's just be happy the Rockets are relevant now & that we'll have atleast one Rocket in the All Star game... Stop being greedy... Jeremy Lin might make the All Star team because of how great he played for just 20 something games... Some might say that's rediculous... I say this is the NBA... Where AMAZING happens.

We have an ALL STAR!!!!!

I'm thankful.