1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As bad as their team is, I think most of it is due to poor coaching throughout the year. I believe Kobe and Dwight are definitely top 12 players in the western conference. I don't subscribe to this whole idea of putting someone in the all-star game because their TEAM is great. There are always star players on teams that don't execute well.

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure I used word "grammar" correctly, and I think that the logic in that one sentence I posted is in keeping with what you're saying about the fan vote vs the coaches' selections, but thank you for taking the time to provide a considered clarification of your ideas around "fan meritocracy" and "talent meritocracy". I think we can agree that it would be great to have the Rockets represented by any of our players at the upcoming ASG.

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

Dude, you wrote some really great posts, but I think the people you're trying to convince...it's clear they don't care/want to understand for some reason or another.

It's like the election of politicians. Every time some person gets voted in, the voters from the other side can't believe it because they think their guy is more qualified, and it doesn't make sense to them that the other guy can be so popular. And therefore, the other side must be full of stupid people. Then you'll have all sorts of comments about how people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

It's just the resentful side of our human nature.

1 person likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Awesome post.

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

Go back and find some old threads if you disbelieve me. There were a lot of people here that got their panties in a bunch over Yao making the All-Star game over Shaq, complaining about the "Asian" vote, etc...

6. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Grammar is the usage of the English language. You probably profiled me just because I am defending Lin and used grammar because that's the usual ammo people like you use. I know 5 languages. Perhaps we can converse in another language and I will devalue your opinion based on your 'grammar".

7. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Right on. Moving the goal post when things are not going your way is a sign of the 'good old days".

8. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

And the funny thing is I am not even a LOF. Just being objective. I am a Rockets fan.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

both Dwight and Kobe are Allstar b****es and great individual players...
    While Kobe is a subpar team player when his teammates are not shooting well
    Dwight disappears almost entirely except for his rebounding

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

...Shane Battier is an All-Star? When did this happen?

11. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain that I did not devalue your opinion. In fact, I was only trying to clarify what you said for Apollo33's benefit. I did not even offer an opinion on your opinion. I only said that your grammar was a little convoluted, which seemed to result in Apollo33's confusion about what you said.

Here's my post for your reference...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by apollo33
    wtf coaches know who the fan favorites are more than fans, I feel like I'm being trolled

My response...
    Icono's grammar is hard to dissect, but I think he's saying that fans may not necessarily pick the best and most deserving players, and therefore the coaches picks can act to counterbalance that.

12. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Haha, that's good point. Seriously, if all Asians voted for Lin he would be in already.

But I remember someone posted a link to a Chinese forum that the a lot of them were also voting for Kobe and CP3 too.

The fact remains that Lin is popular because he's fulfilled the American dream and that inspires geeky underdogs like us (well some of us at least) :grin:

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Shades of 2011, when Yao Ming was selected to the team through fan voting despite playing in just 5 games while averaging a paltry 10 points and 5 boards.

In 2011, the commissioner found a clever way to circumvent the embarrassment and controversy by appointing Kevin Love to the team as an "injury replacement." But a clear message should have been sent two years ago: Fan voting needs to go.

Sadly, it didn't. The league kept the voting system in place, reasoning that the problem would resolve itself with Yao Ming's retirement, and that fans from that point on would at least vote for all-star caliber players who would make the team anyway. What difference would it make if they started or not?

Well, here we are again.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Everyone vote for Jeremy Lin! We are Rockets fans and the all star game will be held in Houston! We get no love from the NBA so lets do it our own way! Vote for Jeremy Lin and snatch that 2nd starter spot from CP3. Paul will make the team either way anyway.

15. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

So let me get this straight. Before the NBA became popular in Asia, fan voting was valid, but now that it is popular in Asia, the voting system is flawed and should be changed. What makes you think Chinese fan votes are worth less than your own?

The starting five for the ASG is nothing more than a popularity contest. If it were based on merit, the coaches would select the entire team.

16. Roxs

Roxs Member

To all of those that think fan voting will go away, my advice is to not hold your breath. Every year, someone complains - not just forum posters, but national sports pundits. Never is there talk about changing the fan voting. Instead, the league asks, "How can we get MORE FAN VOTING??" That's why we have internet voting, mobile voting, and global voting. Things that used to not exist a decade ago.

It's not just NBA. All major sports have fan popularity voting. Why? Because these leagues would not make money without the fans.

You need to be more pragmatic about the All-Star Game. The league makes tons of money with this promotion, there's absolutely no reason why they would change that. I personally would love a merit-based ASG. The ASG would mean more to me, but I understand the realities of why the sports league make it a popularity contest and I understand that it's better for the sport to do it the way they do.

Jeremy Lin may not yet be a star in your eyes and to a minority of people here, but he is one, apparently, to a lot of other people. In this star-driven league, the league will always promote their stars.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

The selective outrage by some is hilarious to me.

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The distinction is that nobody really cares who starts for these teams, it's always considered honor enough just to be on the team itself. The players the fans were voting for WERE all-stars anyway, so it was a fun, uncontroversial thing. If the fans wanted to indulge themselves by preferring one all-star level player over another, what harm could that really have?

Of course, we now know the answer to that question, since up until now, the only player to ever be selected to the team through fan voting while having no business being on the team at all was Yao Ming in 2011. History may repeat itself.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That's funny, because the notion that Jeremy Lin voters are voting for him based on his play on the court over his ethnicity is hilarious to me.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Ricky Rubio is getting votes & he has barely stepped on the court. Amare Stoudemire is getting votes he has barely played. Deron is beating out Jrue. KG & Howard beating out Omer & Tyson Chandler. Bynum getting votes & he may never even play this season. The list goes on. Like I said the selective outrage is funny.