1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3DS or NGP?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Jan 27, 2011.

Tags:
?

NGP (PSP2) or 3DS??

1. NGP (PSP2)

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. 3DS

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Neither, I will stay in the portable gaming ghetto!

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I'm going to skip all the specs and focus on the main parts.
    [​IMG]
    3DS - Cpu - 2 x 266MHz ARM11, Gpu - PICA200 133MHz, Dual screen (touch + 3d screen), three cameras (one inside + two outside), motion + gyro sensor, backwards compatibility with DS/DSi games.

or

[​IMG]
    NGP aka PSP2 - Cpu - Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9, Gpu - SGX543MP+ (quad core), 5" OLED touch screen, rear touch pad, dual analog, front and rear camera, three axis gyro + accelerometer, gps, 3G, bluetooth. B/C with PSP games from PSN, PSN minis, and PS1 classics.

Looks like both will have pathetic battery life, three to five hours. Both will have wifi. NGP possibly offering online gaming anywhere with 3G while the 3DS offers glassless 3D. Assuming both are around the same price point $250-$300, which one are you going to purchase?

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm a tech geek, so to me they both are pretty awesome with the nod going to the NGP. 3D is very cool, but I've grown a little tired of the kiddie games (why I sold my wii). Truth be told I chose option 3 in the poll; I have an iphone, that's the only portable games I play. Anything else, I have my 360 for.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like the PSP was a flop, so why would the NGP be any better?

4. itony

itony Member

is there a gaming lineup out for either yet?

5. tested911

tested911 Member

It really depends which has the easiest hacks :) You know to "Test" the games before I buy it.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

3DS has quite a few:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

Some of the ones announced today for NGP:

edit: Oh yeah, I think I might try to get both. Though probably after some combination of price cuts, revisions, and great games being available. But definitely interested in both. Tech guy in me might be a bit partial to NGP (specs make me drool, especially OLED screen), but I really want a 3DS too (well...for <$250...and probably <$200).

1 person likes this.
  7. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This is a bad assumption. Basically you listed the tech specs of the PSP2 but I don't think you have any comprehension of them. They utterly smash all of the $500-$600 mobile devices currently on the market (ipad, high end cell phones without the contract subsidy, etc). The top end unreleased next generation cell phones and the next gen IPAD will only have two core ARM9s, whereas this has a four core. The GPU gap is even bigger. In short, the PSP2 is more ahead of the tech curve than any mobile device ever released. There is no way that they sell it for $50 more than a shrunken gamecube with two screens. It will be $400 minimum if they're willing to take a large loss, but $500 is possible.

I will definitely buy the PSP2 as long as it is $600 or less. I currently have a 3DS preorder that I haven't decided if I'm canceling or not. The launch lineup is pretty bad. Pilotwings is the only game I'm really interested in but I hate the cartoony look compared to the realistic colors of Pilotwings 64. Normally I'd be all over a Ridge Racer game but I can't get excited over it on the 3DS because it looks no better than the Ridge Racer that launched on PSP many years ago. Ultimately I won't know until I can try the system out since so much hinges on the 3D. With so many people having headaches from it, there's no way to tell if it's usable without trying it yourself.

8. chow_yun_fat

I don't see why it's a bad assumption. The CPU + GPU are somewhat customized, but they're both based on extremely widespread, common chip designs. Other than the CPU/GPU + OLED screen, everything else is dirt cheap to manufacture (3G, rear touch pad, wifi, dual analogs etc). Just because the Iphone 4 sells for $600, doesn't mean it cost that much to manufacture. The cost of a Iphone 4 is $190 and the Ipad is $260. $300 with a slight loss seems possible imo.

#8 chow_yun_fat, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Neither, I prefer gaming at home, not on the go...

When I had my gameboy color I would only play Pokemon at home anyway.

10. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

The NGP specs look amazing, but I'm not spending 400-500 on a handheld (You know its coming)

Meanwhile the 3DS is affordable and actually does something new

Plus the 3DS has a better future line-up

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It would all depend on the price. For me, I'm more interested in getting a smartphone than a gaming device. And no.. I don't want that Xperia Play crap. Tons of phones that are better.

12. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I believe those are materials and manufacturing costs, which are nowhere near the total costs. And the PSP2 is much more advanced than either of those devices. Not sure why you think this thing will be cheap when it has way more in terms of the most expensive components (CPU/GPU/Screen). My guess is that we're talking $400ish in materials/manufacturing and closer to $500 total cost to bring it to market

13. chow_yun_fat

Right, but don't you think the costs will decrease by the time it's released? It's scheduled for 2011 December, which is almost a year from now. Selling the NGP for $399 would be DOA. $299 or less is ideal and $349 is stretching it.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If you really think they're going to sell the PSP2 for over $300 you're an idiot. If you think people will buy it for more than $300, you're an even bigger idiot.

The original PSP was a huge failure, I have to believe Sony won't make the same mistakes twice.

1 person likes this.
  15. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Think about exchange rates and the strength of the dollar, bro.

16. chow_yun_fat

The 3DS is 25,000 yen ($301.85) in Japan and $250 in the U.S. :cool:

17. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You totally missed the point...the dollar is slipping big time which will cause a console that is still a long way off to have a higher price point than it otherwise would have, especially one that is expensive to make. Nintendo can absorb the slipping exchange rate much more easily because it makes a profit on the hardware.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Neither, I'll still be gaming on my DS for as long as possible until I see some <$200 prices.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Neither for now. 300 is too much for a portable gaming system. Also idk...I think cellphone games (Angry Birds anyone?) accomplish what Portable gaming used to. Quick entertainment on the go.

Personally I don't want to play some epic adventure game like uncharted on a 5 inch screen wearing headphones while in the waiting room for the hospital for example. I rather play something simple, addictive, and fun.

Just me though.

20. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

65 million sold is not a huge failure for PSPs. that's more than the PS3 or 360 sold. it's just that it's completely dwarfed by the DSs numbers, 144 million.

this is an easy choice: 3DS. the PSP2 is going to suffer from the same problem the original did: the games. it's just gonna be a bunch of half-assed ports with a couple good, unique games sprinkled here and there. the 3DS is gonna have far better games than the PSP. i weep for the children who got PSPs for their christmas presents instead of DSes. poor parents got sucked by the slick black and sony brand name.

anyone that buys the PSP2 is just going for specs (useless without the games) and style (useless without good hair).