1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[38th Pick] Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 23, 2011.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2wrrcnxFw10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. amaru

amaru Member

I think he is a waste of a pick.

Hopefully I'm eating crow in a few years

3. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Parsons was the SEC Player of the Year.

Remember the last time we drafted an SEC POY?

AirLanghi faints

4. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

god damn it's amazing how many negative people we have on clutchfans.

lets just wait till he starts playing and not pretend we are all experts.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't expect much from second rounders, but it would be nice if he turned out to be a solid role player.

6. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Its a second round pick who cares if he ends up sucking. But hey if he pans out great!

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

A second unit of Dragic-Lee-Parsons-Motiejunas-Hayes will be quite interesting

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

According to Clutch and Jonathan Feigen, the Rockets traded the 31-40 protected portion of their 2012 second rounder (the 41-60 portion was traded for Chase Budinger's draft rights in 2009) AND $1.5M cash to get this pick back.

Uh . . . I'm pretty sure that the Rockets feel strongly enough about Parsons to give him a roster spot next season. Unless Marqus Blakely and Marcus Cousin are both amazing in training camp and there are literally NO roster spots left, Chandler's making this team. Too much invested in him to spend that much to have him for 2-3 weeks only (remember, with the lockout, there's no summer league, off-season voluntary workouts during which to work with the kid).

Parsons was also a guy projected in many mock drafts to go in the later part of the first round. He's got unusual size for his position and a unique skill set. Pretty good value pick.

9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I've only seen him a handful of times. Seemed like a jack-of-all-trades--master-of-none type, that didn't look to me like his game would transfer to the NBA well. But I trust DM.

Big thing I'm wondering is... How the heck did the guy win SEC Player of the Year? The SEC is not exactly the MAC.

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Not understanding your use of "portion". Are we on the hook for 2 future 2nd's now, or was this just bookeeping legaleze?

Thanks in advance.

11. lalala902102001

This guy fits the classic profile of "good college player; never gets on court in the NBA". I hope I'm wrong but I think it's a waste of a pick.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Pretty boy. hehehehehehe

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he's refering to the draft position. 30 teams, 30 picks in the first and 30 in the second. 2nd round picks would therefore be 31-60. In this case they split up the 2nd round into two portions, 31-40 and 41-60.

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In an interview on NBATV, McHale talked about Parsons a little and said he can see over defenses. He said he reminds him of Budinger. Seriously. Parsons seems like a pretty good player, but for a 43 win team with glaring holes, drafting players a lot like the ones we already have doesn't make much sense. I won't hate too much for now, since I fully expect them to sort this roster out a little better before games start.

15. Rocketfanatic2

I think it's a good value pick. Great size for his position. We should wait before calling it a wasted pick.

16. Houston_Rockets

Bud 2.0 but more balanced on both ends, that will come handy when we trade Budinger as a small part of a package for a Big time player this next year

PeAcE

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sure, no problem. This is pretty confusing stuff. (NOTE: This is something the Rockets likely could not have done with a first rounder. It's more common with second rounders.)

Back in 2009, the Rockets traded a "top-40 protected" 2012 second rounder (and cash) to the Pistons in exchange for the draft rights to Chase Budinger. This meant that, if the Rockets' finished with one of the ten worst records in the league (meaning that they'd be picking between 31 and 40), they did NOT need to send the pick to Detroit and could keep it for themselves. The pick owed would then become a (top-35 protected) 2013 second rounder.

So, with that in mind, the Rockets decided to take that "protected portion" of the 2012 pick for picks #31-40 and traded it to Minnesota (plus cash) for the draft rights to Chandler Parsons. This means that, if the Rockets have one of the ten worst records in the league (meaning that they'd be picking between 31 and 40), then Minnesota will get that pick. HOWEVER, if the Rockets finish with the eleventh worst record or better (something I think is likely), then the pick obligation to Minnesota would presumably be extinguished, and the 2012 second rounder would go to Detroit.

Bottom line: Either Minnesota or Detroit gets it in 2012. If Minnesota gets it in 2012, then I believe Detroit likely gets the pick in 2013 (protected only #31-35).

(To further complicate matters, the protection on the pick owed to Detroit burns off by 2015; and the Rockets owe another second rounder to Atlanta--from the David Andersen acquisition--the year after they give Detroit their pick, and that pick has DIFFERENT protection on it. Like I said, confusing stuff.)

1 person likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the explanation. It seem the bottom line is that 2nd round picks are kind of an renewable resource. As long as you have cash, people would sell one to you or at least trade you one for a future 2nd rounder. So, not worried about the debits that the Rockets owe to any other team. If they really wanted a guy in the 2nd round, they can most likely find a way to get him.

19. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

He is not as good offensively as Chase, but is not horrible. Will be a better defender than Chase, but that's not saying much.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Who is this go to scorer at the 3 that you have slotted for #38? Bertans? Leslie? Hanga?

LOL