1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

33 points and 8 assists

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jan 5, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Only one other player has ever averaged over 33 points and 8 assists (Harden's current per game averages) in a single season and that was Tiny Archibald with 34 and 11. If Harden can get his points average to 35(good chance if he keeps this form) while still maintaining his assists with when Chris comes back, he will have a historic season.

rhee, RayRay10 and RyanB like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually don't want him to average that many points, I want CP3 and the rest of the team to contribute instead of using Harden like a mule. He's doing all of this out of necessity due to injuries.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Everybody seems so worried about his MVP status, and for good reason, but Im worried about how we play as a team and that Lurree O'Bean

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditto

5. rockbox

The x-factor for the O'bean is CP3. Harden is raising his point average by increasing his 3 point attempts. That doesn't require that much more energy or doesn't abuse the body.

6. donkeypunch

The double teaming and the extra focus on him does take a toll though.

rocketman84 likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan averaged 32.5 ppg and 8 apg in 1988. I get it, we don't round up when trying to come with statistical accomplishments, but really lol.

DavidRocket likes this.
  8. rockbox

I just did a search for 33 and 8 on bb reference. That season did not show up.

9. rockbox

True, but the double teaming happens less when CP3 is on the floor also.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bringing up Tiny Archibald annoys me. Harden gets "this era" talk by TNT, yet

Archibald averaged 46 minutes per game.​

That shouldn't even count. That was also the apex year for the ABA, so NBA wasn't even all that.

33 / 8 has never been done in an era that was actually real.
    • The most MPG ever played by a player since Archibald logged 46 MPG, was Elvin Hayes at 44.5 the following year. At 44.5 mpg, Archibald averages 32.8 ppg.
    • He's almost a full point below 33, when you calculate based upon Iverson's most minutes, which is most since the ABA was dissolved and Magic/Bird came into the league.

#10 heypartner, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    BigMaloe likes this.
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Agreed, I expect some boring games when everyone returns. We might even witness some of the most boring games ever if James stays in HARGOD mode.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Harden wins the MVP, it means the Rockets did great this season

I fail to understand why everybody thinks it's one or the other

13. donkeypunch

Its not a 'one or the other' debate. Its having him healthy and energized for the playoffs, instead of chasing individual numbers.

14. fattz

fattz Member

But without the individual numbers there maybe no playoffs. (We are in the West)

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

We should all get used to Harden being unappreciated. No matter what he does in his career or how many championships he wins, he will always be underrated and the media will always have some narrative about why he isn’t quite as good as the all-time greats. Similar to Hakeem, who receives the “Well Jordan wasn’t playing” narrative when anyone brings up his championships. We aren’t New York/LA/Boston, so this will always be how he is perceived by anyone outside of our fan base. F*** em’ all.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Frankly...the Rockets need home court through the playoffs if they're going to win the championship. That was evidenced last year.

I want Harden rested and ready to go as well but we simply don't have that luxury with how many injuries we've had. He has to be doing this, at least right now.

17. donkeypunch

Sure, I get that, but when CP and EGo get back, I dont want to Harden to be putting this much toll on himself.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you think harden avging 27 and 6 will guarantee the rockets make the playoffs?

19. donkeypunch

LOL. Do you even think before you type?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Harden is not 'Tiny' by any means, he is ThiCC 2.0.