1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

300 lbs of explosives stolen near Austin!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 10, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Explosives stolen in Williamson County

9/9/02 6:54 PM
    By: Jitin Hingorani

The Williamson County Sheriff's Office along with Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, DPS and the FBI are investigating the burglary of more than 300 pounds of explosives from a Georgetown business.

At around 5 a.m. Monday, authorities say two people in a dark SUV broke in to Austin Powder, a business that sells explosives to construction companies for blasting purposes.

The Williamson County sheriff says the thieves stole 11 30-pound gel tubes of an ammonium nitrate mixture. They also stole documentation that could transport these explosives across state lines.

And given that the anniversary of Sept. 11 is just days away, authorities say this incident sends out a red flag. Still, FBI Special Agent Donna Cowling warns, "There is no information thus far that says this is any way, shape or form related to any terrorist activity whatsoever."

“We all would hope that these aren't people who would want to use this in some way because it is the anniversary of the World Trade Center, but I would be lying to you if I didn't say yes, that we do have a heightened concern and awareness right now," said Sheriff John Maspero.

Just to give you an idea, an Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms spokesperson said one of these tubes of ammonium nitrate could blast a crater one foot deep and 7 feet in diameter.

If you have any information about these missing explosives or the theft, authorities ask you to call the Williamson County Sheriff's Office at (512) 943-1300.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Major drives an SUV, doesn't he?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow, this ain't funny. Don't those fools have any security worth mentioning? Not good at all.

4. Major

Major Member

Major drives an SUV, doesn't he?

Yes, I do! But it's a light SUV, not a dark one. :p

Seriously, though, this is some messed up stuff. My first guess would that its not Al-Queda terrorism though. Al-Queda's MO doesn't seem to be busting into places and stealing stuff - they seem to try to stay a little more under the radar.

Hopefully, they'll find this crap soon.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with this...but...what if they intend to use it VERY soon?? that keeps them under the radar within the time period from acquisition to detonation. don't mean to sound pessimistic...

6. Stevie Francis

i realy hope they find it too. I mean there are som many places were seting of those bombs could be horrible. I really hope that nothing happens on 9/11.:(

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

THEY should be arrested...for negligence (and idiocy if it was illegal)!

How stupid can you be with terrorists running around. :mad:

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Of course not...I'm sure they want 7 tubes of ammonium nitrate so they won't actually have to dig in order to build their swimming pool. Geez.

I hope they find that stuff soon...because whoever took it likely has bad intentions.

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

UPDATE!!

Police: Man in custody in explosives investigation
    Associated Press
    GEORGETOWN -- Williamson County Sheriff's officials have arrested a man in connection with the theft of 330 pounds of potentially explosive fertilizer.

The explosives, reported missing Monday, have not been recovered, but the man in custody is assisting officials in locating them, said Sgt. Mike Lummus of the Williamson County Sheriff's office.

"He certainly has information," Lummus said. The man has not been charged and his name has not been released.

After questioning the man placed in custody Wednesday night, Sheriff John Maspero said he believes the theft was a "local job."

"We feel extremely confident that this has nothing to do with terrorism," said Williamson County Sheriff's office spokeswoman Wendy Denson.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"He certainly has information," Lummus said. The man has not been charged and his name has not been released.

Oh no! This man is being held and not charged and his name is not being released! This assault on civil liberties by Williamson County must stop!