1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

30 games to go..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

52 games in and we are 35-17. Even with some disappointing early season losses, countless injuries, a disgruntled big man and a unanimous feeling the Rockets haven't been performing up to their talent level; 35 wins before the All-Star break with 30 games to go, the Rockets are in a great position. Maybe even be one of the best seasons in team history. Not bad for a team, considering it is year one, all the obstacles we had to overcome and playing against a very tough Western conference.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about the Rocket's chances to overpass the Spurs and grab the 2nd or 3rd seed, and now its starting to seem like a real possibility especially with the Spurs losing tonight in Detroit. Its still going to take work but the Rockets seem to really be gaining momentum and health (knock on wood). No one is going to catch OKC and the Clippers look even more dangerous with CP3 back and Blake Griffin's emergence.

So, I'm asking how do you think the last 30 games will go? Can we pass the Spurs? The Blazers? The team record for wins is at 58 so for this team to achieve that we would have to go 23-7 to finish, which will be hard but possible. I think we will grab the 3rd seed behind the Clippers and OKC. We will finish with a record of 56-26. What do y'all think?

With anything, let's keep winning! So good to have this feeling of actual contention in Houston basketball.

2. BullRider

BullRider Member

this team is getting me excited about their prospects!!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>At 35-17, this is the second-best record in Rockets franchise history at this point of season. Only 1993-94 team (38-14) was better.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/433078204677382144">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. YourSecretLover

Our goal is to get home court advantage in the 1st round but I feel that number 2 seed is up for grabs.

Portland is coming back down to earth
    SA has huge injury/fatigue issues
    LAC are the LAC

OKC will probably end up with the 1st seed. Durant is too good.

Overall, I don't expect a championship in our first year having Dwight but the WCF are a huge possibility and I wouldn't be too upset if we actually loss in the 2nd round, everything after the 2nd is just gravy to me.

4. bmd

bmd Member

If Portland loses to OKC tomorrow, which is possible if not likely, Rockets will be 0.5 games behind Portland. Then the very next day, Portland plays @ the Clippers.

So on Wednesday, if the Clippers beat Portland, and the Rockets beat the Wizards @ Toyota Center, then the Rockets jump to the 3rd seed.

Rockets could be the 3rd seed by Wednesday.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As OP mentioned we've had numerous injuries, team needing to gel and the Asulk situation so nope we haven't seen the best yet for this team.

With the trade deadline looming what will Morey do? Will he go all in capwise and agree to say take on Wallace to get Rondo? Maybe just a couple of tweaks like acquiring Spencer Hawes or Iman Shumpert? Will Asik seriously be kept through the deadline? Maybe Morey just moves Lin and Asik for cap relief now to make a run at Bosh or Dirk and we end up with large expirings like Granger or Kris Humphries.

Until the trade deadline it's tough to speculate. With no major moves I say the Rockets take the division and either the #2 or #3 seed.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's funny because next time we lose, people will act like the sky is falling and we're a first round exit.

We have played much better since the start of 2014. I'm enjoying it.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

After the ASB, the Rockets must rev the engines and take off. No excuses. No let downs, loss of focus, or laziness (hear that James?). Time to "let it rip potato chip." Stretch run, let's do this. I want to see them rolling into the playoffs on a hot streak balling at a high level. How bad do you want it?

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The Rockets are currently 1.5 games behind the Blazers - if the Rockets beat the Wiz on Wednesday and the Blazers lose both games against the Thunder and Grizzlies then the Rockets would be tied at 36-17 but by virtue of the Rockets currently holding the head 2 head tie breaker they would be ahead of the Blazers

At that point though the Clippers would be 37-18 so there could be some weird 3 way tie thing but I am guessing it would just got by actual winning percentage.

9. pkothari1013

pkothari1013 Member

That's insane that with that record, we're still 5th in the West!

10. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I think we will end up with the 4th seed against Portland who will drop to 5.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think we end up as the second seed, but we'll give OKC a run for their money. It's hard to maintain that level of play when your 2nd best player isn't contributing as expected.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think 3rd seed is a real possibility and home court advantage is likely.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I Remeber b4 the season Most cf were predicting us to win in the low 50's or worse and maybe like 20% were at 55 gms or more. That's what I said b4 the season. 55 wins. It was honest, it was objective

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think 55 wins is realistic and it's what I predicted as well. Give or take a win or two.

15. bmd

bmd Member

Yep. And I made a mistake. If the Blazers lose tomorrow, the Rockets will be 1 game behind. Not 0.5.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

We have 21 games against teams that have worse records than us. If we go like 16-5 against those teams and 5-4 against the elite, we should be in great shape.

17. Penetrate&Creat

Just deepen our bench and Rockets will be one of the scariest teams in the league, if the aren't already.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We're not a real 5th. We have home court. Just match up seeding means clips would be our opponent.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

No one is going to catch OKC, Durant will not allow that too happen. And LAC might be the Clippers but if Griffin keeps his production with Paul coming back, they are pretty scary. Other than that the 3rd seed is wide open, if the Clippers take the 2nd.

Playoff wise, I want to be in the WCF, no doubt. Getting there would make this team a success in a lot of people's eyes but I think different. I definitely think we need to get home court and pass the first round. If we don't, that will be a failure. In the second round, depending on who we play against, I just want us to play a tough series, if not win. But of we get to the WCF, who knows? We might get hot and get to the finals haha.

20. ribbit

ribbit Member

I'm worried about the March schedule, though. Rockets will face IND, LAC, POR, OKC, and MIA twice in March. Plus, another LAC ending the month of FEB.

But 20-10 seems doable en route to a 55-win season.