1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 trade ideas for a PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drpepper, Jul 3, 2007.

1. drpepper

drpepper Member

First, I'd like to say that all of these PF's have been mentioned in potential trades this off season.

And since the possible trade scenarios thread is gone, I had no choice....

1) Houston sends Sura, Rafer, Vspan, and Head to Denver for Camby and Von Wafer.

Houston gets a vet PF with great rebounding, blocking, and some good range that they covet. With 3 years remaining on his contract, he can also play C, and we get a 6-5 combo guard with time to develop. Houston needs to rid some $$ and roster space, not to mention players at the PG position, and sends them one of the young top 3pt shooters in the league last season. Vspan pretty much wrote his ticket out of town, Rafer becomes expendable with the Brooks and James additions, and Sura is obviously just cap filler.

Denver gets some major cap relief from Camby's contract(8mill, 8 mill, 7.6 mill), which free's up some space in their crowded frontcourt, some legit outside 3pt shooting to make defenses pay when they double Anthony, and some PG depth and security since they're sure to lose Blake this off season.

2) Houston sends Rafer and Head to Indiana for Jeff Foster.

Again, Houston gets a legit PF that plays hardnose defense and has an offensive game to speak of. He's a good veteran to have in the lockerroom, won't demand alot of playing time, and can hit the outside jumper in coach A's system. He's a Texas guy, 6-11, and can play C in spot minutes.

Indiana knows he'll probably be the odd man out with the recent additions of Ike, Murphy, and O'Neal all demanding PT. And with two years remaining on his contract, Indiana would be wise to use that cap space in areas they need like PG and shooters. Rafer and Head could contribute right away.

3) If these attempts fail, Sign Jamal Sampson to a 1 mill deal, and give the rest to Amir Johnson. With the MLE being at approx. 5.6 mill, that 4.6 might be enough to keep Detroit from matching.

Either way, these trades are made to keep our MLE in tact to bring in A. Johnson with most/ all of the MLE. :eek: :D

We have to start thinking about our future, Amir would have been a top 10 pick in the lotto this year.

2. drpepper

drpepper Member

actually 2 trade ideas and a possible FA sign. Thread Label is misleading.

3. AkeemTheDreem86

These all look pretty tasty... The Pacers are just loaded with PF's, we're loaded with PG's...

4. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

In total agreement about Jeff Foster, also like Amir Johnson and Jamal Sampson far more than most other available trades/FA possibilities that exist.

We've got to rid ourselves of at least half of our 44 Point Guards along the way... :D :D !!

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Camby was a big part of the nuggets success last year. The guy was a rebounding and blocking machine who can play PF or center. I think they could do better than trading him for our excess baggage. If they would for some reason want to just dump him because of his contract, they might be able to do it for a 1st round draft pick and possibly take on some salary for a year if forced too. Plus, i doubt they wouldn't want us or anyone in the West better than they are getting their hands on him.

6. AkeemTheDreem86

But the thread-starter makes a good point about the hole Blake leaves behind, a hole that would be delightfully filled with Head...

How sweet would our frontcourt be: The offensive giant (literally), the reigning DPOY, and the pesky perimiter packer...

We can Dream, can't we? After all, We Liiiiiiive in the City of Dreaaaaaams... (Cue Talking Heads Song)

7. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Yeah trading him to someone in the West might deter them, but they definitely were talking about dealing him. If the don't they will be far into luxury tax territory this season. As far as salary relief goes, we could send them Sura and VSpan. They can buy out Sura for 1M (injury exception) and mutually release VSpan of his contract so he can go cry in Greece. That comes out to 4.784M in immediate cap relief. We could also throw in Snyder whose contract expires after this year at 2.4M. Sura + VSpan + Snyder for Camby works. Throw in a 2nd round pick if they want (not a first).

8. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

these deals suck

Why would Denver take 4 of our guards for Camby...why?

Does Jeff Foster have the range Houston wants from a PF since Chuck doesnt give them that????

Why is giving Amir Johnson a inflated contract a good idea? The guy is a unproven kid in the NBA.

The Head for Cook trad idea was better than this garb.

9. AkeemTheDreem86

Salary dump. I think Sura's contract and V-Span's (after he returns to Greece) will be dropped. Any CBA experts awake?

10. redgoose

I agree it's nice to dream. However, I would imagine the Nuggets trying to dump Nene rather than the DPOY who was their leading rebounder and shot blocker. Camby only makes slightly more than Nene.

11. drpepper

drpepper Member

Nene makes 11, 12, 13, and 14 mill each season. They're married to that! Denver is already at 77 mill to commited cap. Of course they'll try to move him. This deal would make alot of sense to both teams. If they want Snyder or a second pick, whatever. They will move Camby this offseason, trust me. Thats all thats coming out of denver, and our deal gives them immediate cap relief.

12. FFz

FFz Member

No one wants reggie evans anymore? The guy is stuck behind nene camby and kmart...

13. drpepper

drpepper Member

Head for cook? Are you a Laker fan trolling here??? Go back where you belong troll :mad:

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

Sorry, I don't want any player on the team that does reach arounds while guarding players in the paint....

That guy is sick!

15. AkeemTheDreem86

Hey, I'd take Nene too. They are loaded with bigs: Camby, Nene, Najera, Sampson, Evans...

Nene would be great along side Yao, methinks. And he can play the 5!

16. drpepper

drpepper Member

Nene makes WAY TOO MUCH. why do I even bother.....

17. redgoose

You guys know that we're not the only team that is interested in a quality PF/C like Camby. That could possibly narrow it down to at least 20 teams. There are plenty of other teams that could figure out a way to get Denver cap relief by trading Denver junk as well. Especially the ones already under the cap. Again, if they're gonna trade him, it won't be to a team in the West better than the Nuggets are. :( We maight as well make the same offer for Garnett while we're at it.

18. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

We can offer 4.784M in immediate cap relief with Sura and VSpan (assuming he wants released). I doubt there are very many teams (if any) that can do that. They would either have to be under the cap, have a good-sized trade exception, or somehow have players that would immediately not count against the cap as we do. The only team I am aware of with a large trade exception is Golden State (~10M trade exception from Jason Richardson trade). Teams with cap space probably want to sign a big name, young free agent and not trade for an aging PF/C.

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

Where is Chris Wilcox's option ? :)

If I had to I would do the deal number 1

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

GSW can ofer better cap relief than the Rockets with a 10M TE. They are also more in need of frontcourt help than the Rockets.