1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3-Team Trade (Cleveland, Milwaukee, OKC)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

am i missing something? Why? He's not better than rafer.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

eh...still not better than the Houston Rockets....the trade is meaningless.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Good deal for both teams. Bucks trade a good player who never seemed to have enough of an impact to make that team a winner, they needed a complete overhaul from their personnel last year. Now they can hand over the starting PG position to Sessions, its a gamble, I'm a little leery about low draft picks who have a good year becoming stars but it needed to be done.

Mo Williams is the best PG Cleveland has had in several years, makes bone headed plays but is a definite upgrade over Delonte and Larry Hughes.

If I was Delonte West I would start taking a few Rosetta Stone language courses because the Cavs have forced his hand to go overseas. I would not take that qualifying offer over going overseas if I could get a Josh Childess or Boki deal.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

this is a steal for the cavs. williams gives them a much needed scorer to play with james, at the expense of bench quality guys in smith/jones.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Isn't it strange how Mo Williams is labeled as a "shoot-first point guard", yet Rafer Alston is generally viewed as an unselfish facilitator.

Compare their numbers... Mo took a hair over 1 shot more per game than Rafer. It's bizarre. And for that he absolutely killed him in shooting percentages and outassisted him to boot. :confused:

His contract isn't great, but Cleveland is going all in to keep LeBron. Good talent upgrade for the Cavs I think.

6. hubie_30

hubie_30 Member

to me mo williams is like another mike james hes an OK point guard but hes not among the top like the article says

7. Pete the Cheat

I've also noticed that the title "shoot-first" seems to accompany players who can'y play a lick of defense...

Mo, Damon Jones, Sammy Cassell...just an observtion

8. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

I dont think this trade is going to help the cavs much, they need to stop kidding themselves and trade for a legit 2nd scorer. All the trades they make seem to be just shuffling players around without actually improving their roster.

9. DVauthrin

mo williams is better than smith and damon jones. this is an upgrade for them, even factoring in west's departure.

10. dtowninyourtown

I didn't say he wasn't better than what they had, he is somewhat of an upgrade. He just isn't what I would consider a legit second scorer. I just don't think this will help them as much as they think it might.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True,but they don't have the assets to get a better 2nd scoring option. Mo Williams is the best that they could get IMO.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Desmond Mason being traded back to the 'okc' team for the 2nd time really made me chuckle.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I disagree. He is much better and a more mature player than Delonte West. This is a solid step forward for the Cavs. I don't see how exchanging Joe Smith and Damon Jones for Mo Williams can be viewed any other way. This is like turning moldy radishes into lemonade. If West takes the qualifying offer, all the better for the Cavs.

By itself, this doesn't necessarily make the Cavs a championship contender. But if they had Mo Williams against the Celtics, I betcha they would have won that series and gone to the NBA Finals.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

seems to be a decent trade all the way around...i think ridnour is a better fit for the bucks right now...williams helps the cavs out greatly and mason is going to help sell tickets in oklahoma city for sure

15. DVauthrin

This is what I responded to, as it does actually significantly improve their squad.

16. dtowninyourtown

Oh i see. Yeah I mean I guess it does improve their roster a little but I still see it as more of just shuffling players around. I may change my mind when the season starts and I see Williams actually play some games for them but right now it just doesn't seem like he will make that big of an impact on that team.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Thankfully some reason and sanity made its way into this thread. I was pretty confused after reading the first few responses on the first page.

This was a good move for the Cavs. No, Mo Williams isn't Chris Paul, but they have to do everything they can to keep Lebron and that means getting him some help on the offensive end. That offense has been a joke. As a fan of the NBA, let's hope they can turn Wally's contract into another scorer to aid Lebron.

18. FFz

FFz Member

cavs got owned... even lebron can't wrestle the ball from mo williams.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great pt, while Mo's shooting percentages are great, he has the ball in his hands so much in the bucks offense, which is normall so stagnant because Redd and Mo hatch it so much

he certainly is an upgrade over anything the Cavs have had at point guard since Mark Price and helps Lebron as he can create his own shot and penetrate and create for others, but it will certainly be interesting to see how he meshes with Lebron

20. FFz

FFz Member

I like what the Bucks are doing. They're getting rid of trash and at least getting something back. Mo was a cancer last year to that locker room.

Many of ya'll don't know but he refused to run the offense the coach wanted to run. That bucks team had such a huge chemistry problem and you have to wonder how much of that is Mo and his ball hog.

Watch any ANY game of the bucks where Mo was playing and turn to the 4th quarter. The only players that got the ball were Mo and Redd. Thats just because after they bring it across the court the ball wouldn't see anyoen else's hands. Those two are the biggest black holes in the NBA right now.

Congratulations to that new Bucks GM. He's done a fabulous job so far except for the whole Joe Alexander thing.

He's at least changed the culture in the locker room from a me first to a team first with players like RJ and Ridnour. Griffen is just the kind of vet they need too.

On the other hand we'll get to see that thug Desmond Mason 3-4 times a year now. I wonder if he has the balls to punk yao and rafer with Artest on the team. I wouldn't mind artest getting suspended a few games for knocking out Mason with a solid right to the temple.