1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 Good Things So Far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I know the season has just begun with only 2 games under our belt, but here are 3 good things I've noticed so far that has me feeling great about our chance this season.

1. Dwight Howard has improved his post positioning a lot this year. I noticed he is consistently getting set in the post early and closer to the basket as a dominant big man should. Perhaps, the workouts with Hakeem are rubbing off on him. This is solid improvement especially the footwork on his baseline move which has gotten him powerful dunks and easy throw downs.

2. James Harden is making excellent passes and picking up nice assists. We all know Harden is the best in the league at driving to the basket and clogging the lane, but I have never seen him make so many great zip passes especially across the court to open shooters. This is exciting to watch especially when Harden breaks a defense down at will.

3. Trevor Ariza is the perfect role-player for us. He can knockdown the open 3 and bang up inside and cleanup for easy put backs when needed. I think as the season progresses, his contributions will dictate how well this team does.

Again, these are small improvements that I feel will pay great dividends later in the season if we continue to play good sound basketball.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, the Big Three-za look good. Now we hope to see more from Bev, Jones and the bench

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Best thing about Ariza so far that Parsons lacked, he rebounds. This is THE MOST underrated part of his game that doesnt get much attention. Why is it important for our guards/wings to rebound? Because Dwight is a shot-blocker. Most of the time he feels he has a chance to block the shot and he goes for it, which takes him out of rebounding position. This is what killed us last year, defensive rebounding. We know Harden doesnt crash the board, neither did Parsons, and Beverly tries but he is too short. Jones is not a good rebounder so he needs help, and Ariza is doing just that. Anyone that says we downgraded is out of his mind.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Should clutchfans allow ghettocheeze during the season??? :p

I think the biggest improvement is the fit. We needed better shooters and so far, so good. It's easier to make the right passes, when you know guys are hitting.

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

One thing I especially like this year: at least so far we are not overplaying our guys. No player averages 34 minutes so far. I know we haven't been in a close game and that's a big reason for that, but last year I always had the feeling McHale let our guys in far too long even in blowouts. If we can keep the averages of harden, Ariza and Howard closer to 35 than to 40 minutes Id feel a lot better.

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Feels nice to see defense once again. When you subtract Parsons/Lin with Ariza and more Beverley that's what you get. Tarik Black hasn't been too shabby either. I really like Trevor out there, always poking his long arms out playing the passing lanes and superb lock down defense. Mchale seems to have improved as well with his substitutions and timing of his timeouts. All in all, a great start thus far.

I'm loving the new look Rockets. I'd rather see us be able to stop an opponent for once rather than trying to outscore them night in night out.

Lets go for 3 and shut them haters up.

7. MONON

MONON Member

I really can't believe the OP didn't mention 4. defense. IMO, that's why we now have 3 blow out wins. Yes these teams will be top 5 in the draft next year, but we are incorporating new players into the mix. Last year we would have stumbled in at least one of these games. Defense is so refreshing to watch, especially when the Rockets play it.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Can't argue with 3-0, but this Rockets' roster, like some previous ones, looks to be one player away from being a legit threat in the West. But the season has 79 games left, so we shall see.

9. baubo

baubo Member

To me, what really surprised me is how well they're playing as a "team." Everyone knows their roles, knows their shots. Almost... dare I say it... well coached?

It's easy to say easy schedule and all, but Boston beat Brooklyn, Jazz beat the Suns, and Lakers were much closer against the Clippers and Warriors than against us. I won't read too much into our wins, but it's hard not to be excited. We do need a 3rd piece though. But we're in position to get one at the deadline.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tarik not to shabby? He has been average.... 2 points and 2 boards his average but his first year I will give him a pass most of the time

Let's be honest, If 2 points and 2 boards is not shabby I do not know what is elite production for you (12 pts and 6 boards probably)

Good production - average 8 pts and 6-7 boards for a rookie

Elite production - 20 and 10

11. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

If you just look at numbers, but I think that you're missing the point. It's not just about numbers at all. What he's saying is that he hasn't looked lost defensively and has often been in the right position to make plays, which I agree with for the most part.

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

One underrated aspect so far is Jason Terry's post passes to Dwight. We finally have somebody who can do them right. Almost every other Rockets hesitates with the post passes, James barely passes to Dwight for a post up, but Terry gets them pretty spot on to Howard.

That said, would still like to see more Howard-whoever pick and rolls rather than his post up moves.

1 person likes this.
  13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

What Im impressed with so far is the team defense. Adding Ariza was huge for this teams defense, he almost reminds me of a Bruce Bowen (not quite the one on one defender though) with his defense and the ability to spread the floor with knocking down 3s. Parsons was better on the break and could create a bit more on offense, but Ariza's a better fit overall for this team (can't believe Im saying that).

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This team is improved.

We play defense.

That didn't happen last year.

I think our wing defense has improved 10-fold.

15. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

This. Defense will be THE major improvement from last season. All others are secondary, less important.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't worry. When we lose a game, people here will blame coaching no matter the circumstances. It never fails. Every loss is McHale's (or, for a short while, Sampson's) fault and if only we had an average coach we'd go 82-0.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Harden has been incredible at creating good looks this season for other players.

18. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Terry and even Canaan's growing confidence is starting to add to the arsenal. I guess we tend to forget that Canaan was brought in for instant offense. I'm starting to see him step into his shot confidently when Harden is getting all the attention particularly on fast breaks.

19. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

If Terrence Jones can shoot anywhere above 33% from three it's game over for opposing teams

20. NotChandlerParsons

So if we had Pop or Carlisle or someone like that, we might even go 100-0 :eek: