1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2PAT & PARSONS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thegary, Nov 10, 2012.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morris is playing as a three and is playing well IMO. Why do you want to move him to the four? He is too small to play the four.

How is he better suited to come off the bench? What does this even mean?

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Technically, you are being a homer thinking we should be focused on possible (but unlikely) trades for guys that are just established names instead of thinking about the young players already on the roster.

And I am not sure if you are being sarcastic but your use of the bird in the hand parable is wrong. The bird in the hand (which is worth more) is what you already have (i.e. the players you already have on your roster like Parsons, Morris, Patterson) the 2 in the bush are ones you don't have but are thinking about trying to get but it isn't guaranteed.

3. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

I feel like Morris has been outplaying parsons all year . He needs to be our starting 3 because he would immediately give Harden another scorer to take the pressure off of him, Parsons isn't comfortable being a scorer so he passes a lot of shots up. IMO at some point this season T Jones will be our starter at the 4 but until then he needs to be The Backup 4 coming off the bench because he brings Blocked ****s and rebounds and the ability to finish around the basket. Once TJones gets his shot falling I think he could be special for us. I think parsons is more suited to run with our second unit because of his Defense and hustle. Since Douglas pushes the tempo more Parsons would be more comfortable in the transition game

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Most of the games he's played he has been playing at the 4. Last night, he played at the 3 because Miami has Lebron James at the 3 and Morris has the most similar body type capable of keeping up with him. Most games he comes in and plays the PF position with Parsons or Delfino playing the SF position. They still have him in the corner like a SF because that is how our PFs have been coached until recently.

He can play the 4, it is just that he doesn't have the physical tools to win most match ups due to his reach and coming into last season being told he'd have to transition to the 3.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

it means what it means. A guy like Manu is better suited coming off the bench. You need an explanation for that? I think Pat would be more effective coming off the bench, giving us an offensive spark. Maybe he has mkre comfidence and hits his shots at a better rate coming off the bench playing against other back ups.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have only see him play the 4 when they go with small ball, which essentially just eliminates the center position and adds another SF into the lineup.

Manu is going to be Manu whether he is starting or coming of the bench, he isn't better suited either way. It has nothing to do with the type of player he is. San Antonio just chooses to bring him off the bench to balance thier scoring, since Parker is a great wing scorer as well.

Pat is not an offensive spark by any means. His primary contributions are great PnR defense and solid man defense. His points are almost exclusively set up by penetration where he gets an open midrange shot or clean up. Relegating him to the bench does nothing for us, as our two primary penetrators are in the starting lineup, and his defensive prowess is wasted on bench players.

His confidence is irrelevant. He either gets open shots and makes them, or he misses. To be fair I am ignoring his once or twice a game attempt at a post up play.

Needless to say, I disagree with your assessment that Patterson is better suited off the bench.

7. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I want morris to play 4. He is an inch taller than Patterson anyway. Also there is one line-up the rockets could use that would probably score 50 points in a quarter.
    Lin, Harden, Parsons, Morris, Smith.
    The defense is atrocious but the offense would dominate. I would like to see that line up if Asik ever gets hurt.