1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Dem Debate - Jul 30-31, 2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RayRay10, Jul 21, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Also @Rashmon I don't disagree with your general theory that the majority of Democratic voters in this election will be "anybody but Trump"ers, just like it was "anybody but Obama"ers in 12 and "anybody but Bush"ers in 04. (For an unhappy moment think back to how those elections turned out for the opposition party)

I know I am in the minority with my stance about not supporting Dems I don't trust to make substantive change. I was never under a different impression to begin with. However, as we inch closer to Super Tuesday we will see more people just like me start to find their breaking points of support as the contrast between candidates grows more obvious and the backstabbing starts.

Rashmon likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Beto has these constant pauses and odd inflections. He's also bouncing as he talks. Can't stand it.

Delaney just seems whiny, agree. He's really missed his mark.

Klobuchar seems so nervous as she talks, like she's shaking, but probably isn't really.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And all those in healthcare doing insurance paperwork.

This will come up. Candidates that support M4A with no private option needs to address it.

Freedom dividend would help.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Should be down to 10 by September's end

Rocket River

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

"Adapt" or even perhaps "Learn to Code"

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Seeing a few of her video talking to her supporters in small setting, I think that's just how she talks.

Beto's pattern sounds fake, but he's been consistent so I guess that's just how he is also. He also used to talk at 100mph and my brain couldn't keep up. Someone must have told him. Now he's slower and I can breath while hearing him.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

exactly.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My top 3 from last night are the texans and the dude from hank hill show. I will admit i only watched a few minutes though. Tonight i am interested to see booker, kamala and tulsi.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Nook, joshuaao, ThatBoyNick and 2 others like this.
  13. jcf

jcf Member

A lot of small employers offer health insurance for a couple of reasons: a) attract and retain good employees; and b) be able to purchase good insurance for owners as well (assuming it isn't a passive investment) and have it partially tax deductible. It is not charity but it isn't 100 percent directed at the employees either. Look at lawfirms, accounting firms, etc.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. justtxyank

Very much this. The economics of the employer based health system are lost on most people.

This idea that employers would just turn around and whatever they were paying for your benefits into your salary is ridiculous.

joshuaao and jcf like this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

that's just one proposal and there will always be private insurance.

you have yet to address anything else I said about those jobs.

16. justtxyank

OK I'll address the other points about jobs.

1) CMS will certainly need more employees if they expand Medicare to everyone. However, those jobs are pretty low paying gigs. CMS service jobs are low paying, low skilled. You are replacing highly compensated white collar jobs with post office jobs basically, and not nearly as many. That doesn't account for any of the sales, underwriting, etc. Just service.
    2) They can't just go into other lines of insurance either. Some can surely, but the entire industry can't just shift into another field. The industries are wildly different, the markets are wildly different, the size of the industries are different, etc.

As for there always being private insurance, again, that isn't clear here. The debate on stage is about that right now.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

If that person did not understand it's her job to explain it to them.

I still have questions and would like a straight answer.

My issue is with the blaming media, this was not a gotcha question it's a question that will be asked throughout the nomination.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I agree that there's valid questions about where those benefit savings would go, but I think it's inarguable that it would be a shot in the arm to business as a whole (and employees!) because healthcare is such a dead weight on the legs of businesses in terms of hiring and on employees in terms of occupational fluidity/mobility. It's very easy to see how giving businesses more hiring power/resources and giving employees more freedom/leverage would increase earnings all around.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree with most of this but that is a long way from eliminating tens of thousands of jobs.

Also even in Canada and Great Britain they have private medical insurance.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Can't speak to the depth of animus conservatives might have felt in 2012, but I'm not familiar with any incumbent or party nominee who was so widely considered to be so dangerous and so evil that he should be replaced by practically any available alternative. Trump is special.

The alternative -- that Americans are held hostage forever pouring in money to preserve the jobs of an industry that doesn't deliver good value -- doesn't sound all that appealing either.

RayRay10 and biff17 like this.