1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd All star Returns in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 27, 2012.

1. sew

sew Member

All-star game should be based on merit, IMO.

But IT IS a popularity contest, which is why the entire weekend has become a joke.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I thought they already did that with the one child per family.

3. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Is that the right thing? The current system is not based on stats, but popularity. Lin played by the rule so if he gets the votes, I'd be pissed if he refused it.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I doubt Lin's number have much to do with China. If it is, he would be the top vote right now.

5. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

I hope both Lin and harden will be voted in. It is their home court, there should be some advantage.

6. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

So it appears that some fans here are worried that if Lin got voted in (which is unlikely, given that he's 10% behind Chris Paul), than Harden may not get the coaches' pick because you can't have two Rockets taking up spots.

I understand the love for Harden (I love him too), but to bash Lin and his fans and China for something that is not even happening? SMH....

7. just a word

just a word Member

Well in theory that's actually fairly simple; all they would have to do is either make the poll only google-based or only facebook/twitter-based.

But apparently the NBA made a special effort so that you can vote via Weibo and QQ, which are major social networking sites in mandarin-speaking countries/areas.

Given that, I'm frankly surprised that Lin isn't being voted higher, but apparently there's a big uproar overseas on whether or not people should vote Lin in "because he's been sucking". No joke; they're pretty much having a mirror of the conversations that's been going on here. To hear my dad tell it, most/alot of people overseas are actually against voting Lin in.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

9. zdrav

zdrav Member

What? A bunch of Americans bashing China for no good reason? Unheard of!

10. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I think there should be a limit to # of times you can vote. I'm sorry but I don't have time to vote everyday (I have voted multiple times though). Should be 1 vote IMO. Harden should be a lock.

11. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

It is interesting to me Lin is leading by similar (if no larger) margin over harden in the clutch fan most favorite voting. We are seeing some consistent popularity level data...

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I highly doubt Lin is getting in this year. However, if Houston gets to the playoffs and goes deep, along with great plays by Lin, he's chances for next year is going to be that much greater. The All-Stars is nothing more than a marketing tool.....plain and simple. Having Lin, Harden, and Asik with pretty good showing will equate to more showtimes for Houston...so if you are a Houston Rockets fan you should be gracious!

14. ada32

ada32 Member

I'd pissed off.

I will write to his pastor in CA and David Stern to complain about his refusal to play in All-Star!

15. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Lin was a class act in handling his invitation to the Rising Stars Challenge. So much wisdom for a 23 years old:

"Anyone who checked on the Rising Stars Challenge to get a glimpse of the player who's shaking up the NBA had to look fast. Lin was done after throwing a lob to Blake Griffin in the first half and dropping a reverse layup in the second, toweling off after an exhausting eight minutes.

...Lin explained he asked for limited minutes because "I didn't want to play a back-to-back-to-back" -- meaning two games with the Knicks and then the Rising Stars -- but it went deeper than that.

Careful about the cult following he has generated in a short time, Lin simply didn't want to show up the other players, most of them young and eager to create a buzz for themselves. Besides, two weeks ago Lin wasn't even on the radar for this game, designed to showcase the league's up-and-comers."

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/shaun_powell/02/25/team-chuck-wins/index.html

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I only counted like 3 lof bashing and 1 china bashing. Most of the thread is Lin fans defending. o_O If you want to see real bashing, go to realgm, media, or twitter o_O

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Then you would get over it and continue to support Lin religiously. Nothing will change.

18. ada32

ada32 Member

I know. I know. The reality is 75% of NBA Basketball players are Black.

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

So Lin felt awkward attending the Rising Stars challenge, during Linsanity.
    Now his "fans" want to put him into a even more awkward situation with more media focus and scrutiny, while he is playing basketball at a level that is no where near Linsanity.

How bizarre.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

And most of them happens to be good at basketball.
    Maybe I misunderstood your post but it seems like you are suggesting that other races are not represented equally?

Well name me 3 good Asian players right now, go.