1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2k civilians dead in Gaza with little attention, famous actor commits suicide whole world mourns...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OlajuwonFan81, Aug 12, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What an epic fail of a thread - there are about 20 different topics here on the war in Gaza alone. Every day day there are hours of coverage on the news - OP has chosen 'teams' and his side is losing.

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Why should I care about the Palestinian deaths?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

People are struck most by what they see most or know best. 99.9 percent of Americans won't spend time in Gaza, won't face Israeli tanks in the streets, or will even really personally know anyone that has been affected by it. Robin Williams has been acting since like the 70's and his work is everywhere to be seen. He's one of the genius actors of our time and a lot of us grew up watching him. We can relate a lot more to him than what is happening in some other part of the world. Let's face it, innocent people are killed and maimed all around the world every day. Yet all of us get more angry about things in our own lives than we do much worse things that go on around the world. It's just natural.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

The sad fact is that American generally don't, and aren't going to, care very much about what's happening with Israel/Palestine. After 60+ years of conflict, it's just become white noise to most folks. "People are dying? Meh, what's new?" Shout and stamp your feet all you want (on either side of the issue), it's not going to change anything from the perspective of the average American. At this point, I honestly don't know what will...

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's funny how OlajuwonFan81 compares 2,000 (Muslims killed by Israel (in defense to Hamas terrorists)) to 1, but ignores it completely when he is reminded that there is also (at least) 200,000 (killed by Muslims) to 2,000.

He just completely ignores it, although it is so painfully obvious how his own argument backfires.

(Aside from the fact that his argument doesn't even make sense since Israel/Gaza has been getting tons of attention, both here and on the media - a lot more than the gruesome murders committed by Muslims in Iraq/Syria.)

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This is a very valid point. Thanks for sharing.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You can jump to your conclusions all you want. I couldn't care less. I suppose if I mentioned ISIS then you would completely understand and you would have no issue?

I think what ISIS is doing is a tragedy.....and the people that are suffering in Iraq is terrible. Muslims killing other Muslims is unacceptable and I for one am appalled by it.

It is the people on this message forum that blame Muslims for every problem in the world or blame the people of Gaza for their suffering that have an agenda. I decided to bring up an example of 2k casualties and you automatically assume I have some type of agenda. Shame on you. It was an example of how this society deciphers what is important and what is not.

Shall I just go down the list of all tragedies that are occurring in the world in order to prove to you that I do not have an agenda? Will that satisfy you? Give me a break.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Except you are bringing up this news as proof that people don't care when in fact the opposite is true. This news you think no one cares about has dominated cable news and has multiple threads on the first page of this forum.

You are just wrong.

And lol at you not being biased. Clearly you are.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If you call siding with the people of Gaza bias then so be it.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the thread. I'm not going to apologize for feeling bad because Robin Williams died. I'm also not going to sit here and give the OP a list of posts where I mentioned the sad plight of the Palestinians. So I have a suggestion. Why don't you go downtown, OP, or to a street corner, or somewhere on your campus, if you are a student, where you would be noticed, OP, and start marching around carrying a sign declaring your feelings about what you perceive to be a lack of attention by Americans to the tragedy in Gaza. In other words, instead of sitting in front of your keyboard in the air conditioning, do what I did during Vietnam and get on the street and protest. Put yourself out there. Don't lecture me about how I am supposed to act about something you say you care about.

It's a large world out there and a lot of people are suffering.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

How do you know I haven't gone and protested or written to my congressmen? Why would you jump to the conclusion that I haven't?

Isn't this a message forum....a place where we discuss different ideas and perspectives on things? You consider it being lectured I consider it a different opinion on what takes precedence. If you care to discuss this or debate that an actor committing suicide is just as tragic or deserves just as much merit as 2k civilians being killed in Palestine then by all means lets have a discussion. W

Who cares if I am in an air conditioned room while typing? What does that have anything to do with this. I suppose I could join the United Nations and help actively but that is my weakness. Until then I feel I have a right to voice my opinion regardless of the A/C temperature in my office.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What do you have your a/c set at?

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Everybody is selective in what is viewed as a danger. Everybody loves "Shark Week" on Discovery Channel. "Freshwater Snail Week" was not a big draw.

Muslims Americans and Conservative WASP Americans have different opinions about exactly who the shark is, and which group is the mosquito.

Also, when my Grandmother died, I cried, and cried, and then cried some more. When the grumpy old man down the street (same.general age) died. I felt bad for about 30 seconds and promptly moved on.

#53 Ottomaton, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/19insert-word-here-differences-between-time-magazine-us-and

It's America
    and
    It's American

Rocket River

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's unfair to try to compare the significance of one human death over another.

Robin Williams dying isn't any sadder than children dying in Iraq, but I don't feel much connection to Robin Williams and he got to live a pretty great life despite his problems. But I can understand how a lot of people feel an attachment to him as they grew up on him or whatever.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

U fight for Hamas's cause.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Siding with the people of Gaza is not the same as siding with Hamas.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How about we come to a three-fifths compromise?

19. downbytheriver

Oh really? Do you have a source for that 200 k number? Didn't think so.

It's not hard to understand. Williams was someone who touched many of our lives, therefore we felt close to him. Random civilians in Gaza well.. the world keeps on turning. Can't drown in the world's problems , life is too short. Even when you say you feel bad after a catastrophic ecent, how many of you mean it? How many are pretending just because it feels right?

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Your last sentence refutes your own disdain.

Shall we all just go down a list of all the tragedies in the world to prove to you that we prioritize appropriately for your approval?

Give me a break.

It is in no way a statement of priority in my opinion. It's one day, let the man have his moment, the tragedy you speak of, and those that mourn it, will endure. Yes, the things you bring up are tragic, but thinking no one cares is an exaggeration. Yes, people are mourning for Robin Williams. Acting like -the whole world- thinks that is more tragic than your cause is an exaggeration.

Terrible terrible things happen the world over. Being angry because people don't prioritize it to your liking at any given moment is a more than a little misguided in my opinion.

Your point is made, but really all you had to say is that some perspective on such things should be considered, and even then the timing would suck if you ask me.

That said, no one that is mourning his death is comparing it to the rest of the world's atrocities and prioritizing it over them. Some things are too much for people to express their grief, or to even relate to when their lives are so far removed from it... especially in such enduring, tragic, seemingly unfixable circumstances. While, expressing loss regarding those that people feel a personal connection to is a natural thing.