1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2k civilians dead in Gaza with little attention, famous actor commits suicide whole world mourns...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OlajuwonFan81, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one said that

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they play a role, sure, but I really blame the terrorist government they elected.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Does it surprise you that the "crux of the thread" would be a strawman?

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not sure why the OP is fixating just on Gaza? What about Syria and Iraq? Plenty more people are dying there. What about what ISIS is doing going around decapitating everyone they can or shooting indiscriminately? You didn't mention that so you must only care about people in Gaza because it was of Israel's doing?

I guess you see what I did there.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

If there is any takeaway from this post its that here are lots of crappy things happening around the world. Getting consumed by one thing and only focusing on that makes you lose a greater picture of what is really going on.

What Israel did and the world reaction to it was quite horrific. What ISIS is doing is also horrific. Picking sides like some have done is wrong. If you are fair you would have seen both as brutality but even that depends on perspective. Many see Israel as defenders of Jews, ISIS is seen by Sunni's in Iraq as their defenders, both doing heinous things due to their religion. Its complicated. Nothing is truly black and white. That complicates things for people and makes them want to see things clearly so they pick one thing and obsess over it and lose the bigger picture....just my two cents.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You are comparing apples to oranges.

You decided to compare the death of Robin Williams to Gaza with the direct point being that 2000 people dying received less coverage than Robin Williams death.

First, I don't agree with your premise, the Israel/Palestinian conflict gets PLENTY of coverage. It has been a steady news story for decades and has been debated ad nauseum here and many other places.

Indeed, I would argue that the Israel/Palestinian conflict has received MORE attention than warranted when compared to other conflicts and the death toll.

Rather than making a VERY pointed thread on the internet, why don't you figure out why the only people that care about Muslims less than infidels is OTHER Muslims.... because it isn't Christians, Jews or athiests doing the most damage, it is Muslim on Muslim violence.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How many pages did those Palestinians Israel threads go here in the D&D?, more than the Robin Williams one

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Why don't you turn on the news, read your twitter or facebook feed or just go out and see what people are talking about.

You will come to the conclusion that here in America the suicide of a famous actor is much more important than innocent people being killed.

For you to judge attention solely on clutchfans threads is absurd.

9. Nook

Nook Member

You are seeing what you want to see.

The death of "the honorary Jew" Robin Williams is getting a lot of attention, but NOTHING even remotely comparable to the media attention that Gaza has over the last few decades.

You are WRONG... find another thing to feel slighted over.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah you don't understand how internet works do you

The Israel Palestinian conflict has been going on for how many decades now? it's still a widely debated and talked about issue in all forms of media. Robin Williams can only die once, and people are sad about famous people dying, but that's only momentary.

Tune into the news a week from now, will they still be talking about him, probably not. Tune into the news a year from now, will they still be talking about him. I bet you anything a year from now they will still be talking about the Palestinians conflict though, and I know a month from now, there will still be hundreds of people outside my apartment downtown Toronto chanting free free Palestine.

If anything, This conflict is talked about too much by the media, what about other violent conflict around the world with way more casualties and deaths not receiving 1/100th the attention of the world that Palestinians have. Why aren't you b****ing about that.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

When is the last time 2k civilians died in this conflict? Sure this has been an ongoing conflict for years and we shouldn't necessarily put so much attention to it each and everyday however the fact remains that the atrocities occurring there are indescribable and should be noteworthy much more so than a famous actor committing suicide.

If you want to bring up other atrocities around the world then so be it. I cannot argue with any of those and in fact feel they should also be front and center.

The point I'm making is that some actor committing suicide is getting way too much attention. Other atrocities around the world get far less to the point where people in our country have no clue what is going on. That is highly pathetic.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You are just trying to make an argument for a problem that does not exist. The conflict has been getting constant attention via the Internet, print and televised media.

13. Nook

Nook Member

You know why he is b****ing about Israel/Palestine and not Iraq, Syria or North Korea. He is a Muslim and doesn't like the idea of an infidel nation going to war or having a conflict with Muslims.

What is STUPID is that if he really cared about human life, he would be more outraged about any number of atrocities. If he really cared about Muslims he would be more concerned about Syria and Iraq and the conflict in Africa.

What he cares about is a bunch of Jews and Christian Infidels in the middle of the desert.

Until the secular forces in Islam prevail, we will see crap like this happen.

1 person likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Israeli assault on Gaza has been the lead story for weeks now with CNN giving it nearly 24 hour coverage for nearly a full week last week.

How much more attention should it be getting?

Robin Williams passing has been a big deal today and people who don't plug into the real world much are noticing it. Tomorrow it will be barely covered on the news and they will be right back to talking about Israeli/Palestine, Ukraine, ISIS, etc.

15. justtxyank

Today the main story on all of those mediums will be Robin Williams. Why? Because he just died today and he was personally impactful to millions of people.

The Gaza situation has gotten tons of attention. It dominated Twitter, Facebook, the News, etc. for weeks.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm not gonna assume that's his intention. but if that's true, smh..

I just find it weird that he used Gaza as an example instead of some other tragedy because the Palenstine/Israel conflict has been headlines for over a month now 24/7

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well it looks like you guys are set in your ways. I find it baffling that the whole world mourns over 1 actor committing suicide and when I bring up thousands of civilians being bombed to death most of you get defensive and want to attack me.

If that is the way you feel so be it. In my eyes those innocent women and children being killed is far more gut wrenching and sad than Williams. To each his own.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Begin with a straw man, end with a straw man. Classic.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Why would he use Gaza as an example? Because he has an agenda and that agenda is the Israel/Palestinian conflict.

I have sided with Palestinians on a number of points, I have said they are often treated as animals and the people living in Gaza deserve to be treated with basic dignity.

However, with the GENOCIDE in Syria and Iraq, and the massive loss of life in that region (some are claiming over 300,000 dead in that region over the last few years)..... the narrative in Palestine is NOT on par with that..... so the question has to be asked, WHY all the concern for Palestine and not Syria, Iraq, Liberia and other Muslim strong holds?

Well, because it is Muslims killing Muslims and that is apparently not as bad as Jews/Christians killing Muslims. So this isn't entirely about human life being lost, it is an idealogical war and that I can accept... but don't wrap it in a bow and claim outrage over loss of human life.

20. justtxyank

Dude, this very section is has multiple threads with about 3-4 guys defending Israel with about 10 or so siding with the Palestinians and calling Israel a bad actor.

Most agree with you about those Palestinian civilians. Where you are being attacked is for this false argument that somehow people aren't noticing or not talking about the Palestinian deaths. That's just a lie.