1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2024 NFL Draft] What do the Bears do?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by FishBulb913, Jan 4, 2024.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Thought about asking this in the Texans draft thread but it's really a whole discussion on it's own.

The Bears have ended up having a not horrible season, Justin Fields has played ok with flashes of being pretty good.

They have locked up the #1 pick in a draft with a "cant-miss" QB at the top.

What do they do? What would you want as a fan?

I think if I was a Bears fan I'd be in the "trade down from 1 to 2 or 3 and get Marvin Harrison Jr" camp, but it's a tough call and will be very interesting to see how it plays out!

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Caleb is not a “can’t-miss” QB. Trade down and draft MHJ.

vince likes this.
  3. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

trade it to the panthers for 3 more future firsts

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% they must trade. I'm not sold on Justin Fields AT ALL and he's 3 years closing to breaking the bank than Caleb Wiliams is.

There is zero chance they keep Fields. Nobody will offer enough for the #1 pick.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Keep the pick. Take the QB. It fell into your lap like a pot of gold. So treat it that way. Go for the Gold. If Fields is somehow great next year, you can still trade Caleb for just about anything. If Fields sucks, and that's highly probable, you can move on with a new slate.

MadMax and DonnyMost like this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Reset their QB, Fields is too close to an extension...if not trade with NE and pick MHjr at #3. People thinking NE is going to pick QB, but I seriously think they'll choose MHjr if he's there at #3.

They need to trade Fields before they draft Caleb or his group will make a stink and you don't want drama in your club. Will probably pull an Eli.

7. Qan

Qan Member

It's going to take at least 4 future first if Panthers want it.

8. Buck Turgidson

Whatever the Bears do...their QB will be a disaster

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Fields has started almost 40 games.

If you're not dead certain he's your guy by now then it's time to move on.

vince likes this.
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it were me, I'd take the positive vibes Fields has around the league with how he finished out the season and see what you can get for him in trade. Which probably ain't much, but it's more than you could have a year or so ago. But I have a hard time imagining the team is convinced he will be the answer to their QB issues, and if they don't take a QB in this year's draft and he turns out to be as good as everyone thinks...heads roll.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It really depends on what they can get for Fields and for the #1 pick.

All things equal, I'd trade Fields and draft a QB. Not because I don't believe in Justin Fields as a QB, but because I don't trust him to be healthy. I think if he stayed healthy, I think he could be similar to Cam Newton. If I'm Atlanta I'm more than happy to give up my 3rd rounder for him, and would consider my 2nd rounder (would definitely do a contingent pick in 2025 if on the table).

The Commanders or Patriots certainly could put forth a package to make sticking with Fields worth it. Other option probably would be if a team with a great QB decided they would rather save $$$ and risk drafting a new QB (Unthinkable unless someone wants out of town). While I wouldn't do the deal, if they were high on Will Levis, the Titans could also put forth a good offer.

If they stuck with Fields, I think they have to end up with Harrison and a standout OL and still end up with plenty of other draft capital.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don’t think Fields is that bad. When healthy with a healthy DJ Moore this season, he has been pretty good. I’m also not sold on their QB draft class. I think you keep him and draft Marvin Harrison Jr.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Try to trade him away for the best pick available or someone like Kyle Pitts/Scary Terry.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

For my entire life…except for a Mick who wasn’t great but his team was.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think the assumption is you could trade with NE if you wanted Harrison, plus gain some extra picks.

16. Buck Turgidson

There was some proper Packers smack, along the lines of "our backup is already better than any QB in the history of your franchise"

17. vince

vince Member

Bears are in an enviable position. They have a #1 pick in a year that has a very good QB class, especially at the top 3 spots.

Let’s be clear, you build a team in the trenches, but it’s an uphill challenge without a top tier QB. Every team desires a top tier QB and they will mortgage the farm for one, if they don’t have one.

The Bears can use the pick to stockpile more talent on their team. If there is a bidding war for the pick, there will be multiple 1st round picks 3 or 4 picks going the Bears way. If they can’t get a bidding war, they can at the very least get a deal like what Arizona got from the Texans.

I hear the Fields seems to have turned the corner, so if I were the Bears I’d ride with him. But if the pot is sweeter for Fields, that might get them a haul of elite players and draft picks to shore up their team.

Either way, the Bears will be vastly improved.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Is this is a strong hint of their intentions?

19. Major

Major Member

This worked out so well when Arizona did it. A true master of failing upwards.

20. Buck Turgidson

How many millions of dollars does he owe the Estate of Mike Leach?