1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 7, 2023.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What do the metrics say to do in that situation? I really don’t know but I would be surprised if it said to bypass the field goal and to go for it. I do agree with you that Reynolds should have caught that one pass but oh well. Everybody could tell that SF was having all the momentum- a field goal by Detroit could have stopped that but maybe it wouldn’t have. I just hate it for their fans - they along with the Browns fans have suffered for a long time.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m still trying to make sense of what happened in the 4th.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Seems everyone likes to dump on Purdy, but without him, they don't win that game. In fact, they are not even there. He may look like a teenager, but he is a major contributor to their success.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think the metrics are very low there. 4th and 3 is not a gimme and even picking up the first down they still have 25 plus yards to go to the end zone to pick up a TD to take the lead. On top of that the play they called has very little chance of succeeding. They didn’t even try a play action to make the Niners think they would run. Instead they show pass all the way.

Just bizarre play call all around.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Purdy played very good. He looked like Steve Young out there a lot.

Purdy though wasn’t the reason the Niners won. Detroit blew this game.

Rocket River and solid like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I've never seen a metric make a play

Rocket River likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s because we use yards and feet

8. Buck Turgidson

Kurt Warner

Others

9. Buck Turgidson

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dan Campbell, Josh Reynolds and Jared Goff were part of a mammoth 2nd half choke job.
    Campbell killed them going for it on 4th down but it's what he does. What surprised me was how many throws Jared Goff missed. For 49ers fans, it was like Jimmy G was on the field for the other team. It was a dream come true. I don't have words to describe Josh Reynolds.

Brock Purdy redeemed himself in the 2nd half. He was the anti-Jimmy G by playing his best when it mattered most (and by using his legs).

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Jared Goff wasn’t perfect but there were key passes that were right on the money that Williams and other receivers dropped. No QB could’ve thrown that flea flicker better it was right through the hands of the receiver.

On that 4th and 3 play that had no chance. The formation telegraphed play and the Niners blew it up from the beginning. That’s on Campbell not Goff.

Goff didn’t cost Detroit to game.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sure, Goff isn't responsible for dropped balls, but he missed several throws that did not hit his receivers in the hands.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That happens. You’re asking for perfection from Goff as one of the reasons for not winning the game. football is a team sport and rarely is any player perfect.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Goff wasn’t perfect but his play was good enough to win if his receivers had caught some of those key passes and he wasn’t put into an almost position on some plays.

I don’t think the loss can be pinned on Goff.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  15. TFP

TFP Member

People who just repeat "the metrics say to do X" clearly don't understand metrics/statistics. To understand a metric (or any rule for that matter), you have to understand how that metric was arrived at and know what situations the metric applies or doesn't apply to. As the saying goes, there's an exception to every rule. A metric is based on aggregating data from everyone and all situations. Campbell was just following a rule blindly.

16. Buck Turgidson

LOL. Every QB misses some throws, but you do expect people to catch the ones that hit them in the hands(both?)/chest/helmet

Rocket River likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not asking for perfection from Goff, but his accuracy was shaky in the 2nd half. He played below his own standards. The loss was a team effort, including him.

As far as pinning the tail on a particular donkey (Lion), Josh Reynolds would be that guy. Those two drops were unreal.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you. He's still pretty young, but he has really good instincts. Yes, he has some "great weapons," but his reads and check-downs are much better than so many other QBs in the league, and then his pocket awareness seems like one of those things you can't teach.

But arm strength, overall? Meh. And he'll definitely get his share of batted-down passes, like in the first half today.

I think people who think he's average or below just haven't watched many of his games this year.

It looks like McCaffrey is ok, by the way, which is good news for an entertaining stuporbowl. I think CMC was the actual MVP of the league this year. Just an amazing player who squeezes so much more out of his every touch than most any other human being could.

solid and ROCKSS like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

McCaffrey and Mahomes. The two best. That's as good as it gets.

20. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Should have kicked the FG in the 4th….. When I saw them leave the offense out there, I said that Dan was stupid for not kicking the FG……