1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023/24 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jul 3, 2023.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Since transfer season is open, figured it was time to start a new thread. Already a lot of big moves. Preseason games start in a few weeks so I'd expect a flurry of moves between now and then to try and get guys in and integrated. Or not and nothing else happens until Aug 31.

Last season was one of the more interesting all across Europe. I predicted Chelsea would struggle and that Teuchel wouldn't make it to 2023 with them...but I didn't think it would be that bad. Didn't see Liverpool falling apart for much of the season or Arsenal leading for about the same amount of time. Just hope the EPL doesn't become the Bundesliga and we're all playing for 2nd for the next decade.

As a United fan, I'm mostly fixated on the sale...or not. The Glazers have clearly made a conscious decision to not give even the slightest of f***s about what they're doing to the club by dragging this process out. Yes, we signed Mason Mount for a reasonable price but the rest of the business is stalling because of this instability. It's infuriating. I can't imagine they're so disconnected from reality that they don't see that no one in Manchester want's them to remain anywhere near the club. I get trying to maximize the sale, but this is damaging and they've gone from just merely disliked to pariahs who should really consider whether it's safe to ever show their faces in NW England again. That said, I really hope we find a proper 9.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. leroy

mtbrays likes this.
  3. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

After locking up Kovacic as a Gundogan replacement waiting on locking up Gvardiol to replace what should be an outgoing Laporte and keep City's back line rolling when we play 4 center backs either as a back four, or part of our 3 defenders, 2 defensive mids formation that sees Stones play along side Rodri.

Once we lock up Gvardiol I don't expect City to make any other moves of note this window. What will be interesting this season is Foden getting more playing time as a attacking mid with Grealish being the 1st choice LW.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

So much for no more moves. With Mahrez looking to join the list of players moving over to the Saudi League I would expect City to bring in another option at winger to complement Grealish and Silva (so long as he stays). Not sure who that would be but City fans would like to see Sane come back which might be a possibility with the hardships he has had in Munich coupled with the reports that his family like it better in England (not sure why but I'll take it).

ramotadab likes this.
  5. leroy

Rashford locked up on 5-yr deal and becomes team's highest earner.

Onana deal agreed and he's headed to Manchester for physical. Hopefully he'll be able to make the US trip. Once the deal is finalized, Dean Henderson will move to Nottingham permanently for £20 million.

Maguire stripped of captaincy and told he can move on. £50 million is allegedly what United want but that doesn't seem realistic. West Ham proposed a loan but United rejected it.

Good weekend for United. Now they can focus on a #9.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LMAO

He isn't even worth 5 million.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would pay United 50 million to sell him to my rival.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

9. Raz

Raz Member

No sane person would prefer to live in Manchester over Munich. But bad jokes aside, Bayern will rather sell Gnabry. No chance this is happening any time soon.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Manchester and Bayern have the most distinct dialects.

Also there is also Manchester in the USA.

[​IMG]

leroy likes this.
  11. leroy

I'd take a bag of chips. He just has to go.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Took a little longer than I expected but City got their guy in Gvardiol. By all accounts he should fit right into Pep's system as he can play with pace and control the ball and push play forward. He should fit right into City's new tactic of deploying CB that have a majority of the skillset of wingbacks.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. leroy

Onana to United deal official...

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. leroy

What's your point?

Even the best do stupid s*** sometimes.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

20. Raz

Raz Member

Some other news from a former player working on his legacy (for reference, this is like a German flashing a swastika tatoo).

But, but, but the evil German racists discriminated his poor, innocent soul so hard. To me it was kind of obvious that he only played for Germany for career reasons, now we have further proof.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.