1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not at all, just being honest with you. What makes you think you are significant enough to accomplish that? Genuinely asking. :)

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This thread is not about me. Stop trying to make it that.

This thread is about Tari, who has the potential to become the no. 1 hustle player in the league!

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Glad you see that. Maybe you will keep it this way next time.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

That tweet's author is using total rebounds without taking into account how many minutes those players actually played or anything on a per game level. If you sort by total offensive rebounds and look at minutes played, Sengun played about the same or far more minutes than most of those players at the top. Which is also a story unto itself about this stat that one has to ask themselves - why are there so many players near the top who don't get as many minutes as others below them? In some ways, it's self-evident, I guess. Players like Steven Adams, Kevon Looney, Mitchell Robinson, Clint Capella, Jalen Duren, Andre Drummond, Isaiah Hartenstein (lol), etc. are elite at it on a per36 minute basis (though I sometimes can't stand per36 stats). Sengun can be elite at it given given more experience and playing time (I actually think he's a pretty damn good rebounder as-is, tbh).

It's kind of a useful stat, but at the same time, not so much since the majority of good offensive rebounders are probably within 1 or 2 rebounds of each other on a per game basis since good offensive rebounders usually average around 2-4 per game.

BTW, on a per36 minute basis, Garuba's OReb numbers seem to be better than Sengun's and Tari's, but he played limited minutes and against 2nd/3rd stringers, too.

chenjy9 likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Can’t we just say that Sengun is an excellent rebounder. He is good on both defensive and offensive rebounding. Around the World gets a bad rap on this site. He is clearly not a SOF, but the fact that his interjects Sengun into most every conversation has irritated people. I think his basketball takes are really good and he is a true fan of the Rockets. I reallly haven’t seen him get down on any of our players until goaded into it. It’s ok to think Sengun is great as long as you are giving other players their due. I am very happy with all our young core and think Ime will help bring out the best in all of them. I am just hoping that Tillman gives in and ruins the re-build in favor of a bunch of old guys like DD and Sam Fisher that are afraid of their mortality and wanting to rush the process.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sure we can. And I did in the very post you quoted. My post wasn't specifically about Sengun or ATW, though. It was about using totals to determine "who's better". This was also about the Twitter account and what they posted. Too much blind retweeting and reposting of generic data leads to a lot of dubious conclusions. Then, of course, we threw Sengun in there, so I checked his data out and came up with what I saw. On a per36 min basis, I think Tari and Sengun were about the same (with Sengun slightly ahead), but I forget the exact numbers since I didn't save the spreadsheet. They're both really good rebounders, though. Ime's use of them is going to dictate if we see more or less of that, however. We'll see.

7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Is Tari going to play in the summer league? Must see TV with Tari, Bari, Cam, and Amen! (Don't forget TyTy)

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We had the best rookie two years in a row.

Sengun the year before last.
    Tari last year.

These two MUST be part of the core going forward.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

there are a lot of offense rebounds to go around when you have 3 people shooting 30%

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Have you considered trading Sengun for a lob threat at C?

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Eason may be the pick of the litter. He was a steal for sure. I love players that give it up for the team. He is all about winning. Which hasn't happened much since he arrived.

Amiga, Caesar and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

As much as Denver considered trading Jokic for a lob threat.

He is the lob threat. Just usually on the passing end.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Plumlee got ups and flashy passes

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not talking about Jokic. Entirely different person sir.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just like they would never have traded Jokic for a lob threat, the Rockets should never even consider it.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m just giving you a hard time bahahah

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

As much as I like Tari, it's important to recognize that he was an older rookie. Older rookies a lot more often hit the ground running, but by the same token, usually have less room for growth.

He has some offensive skills, but I don't know if I see any one skill that could elevate him to all-star level. I think he ultimately ends up having a roleplayer career, but it could be a very good roleplayer career, the kind where he starts throughout most of his career.

Little Bit likes this.