1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 Draft/2-44] John Metchie III, WR, Alabama

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 29, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of John Metchie?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2023.
  1. YES

91.3%
  2. NO

8.7%
  1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

This is great news..................and dam, Will Anderson is a beast among boys

vince and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Champs

Champs Member

So is everyone just done with Metchie? The dude was a stud route runner in college and a prized 2nd round pick. Has the cancer taken him down a notch or can he make a full recovery after a year back/adjusting to the league? He could be huge upside in 24.

Aruba77 and javal_lon like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Next year is make or break for him. He'll be fine. He just may not be what many had hoped. All we need is for him to be a good number 3 option, and I'd be thrilled.

This is a huge off-season for him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fighting for a roster spot

Nico Collins
    Tank Dell
    [Drafted WR]
    Robert Woods
    Noah Brown
    John Metchie
    Xavier Hutchinson
    Steven Sims
    Alex Bachman
    Jared Wayne
    Johnny Johnson III

Champs and Sooty like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fixed it for you

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Diggs trade might have put the final nail in the coffin of Metchie, at least with the Texans. Maybe there are some injuries and he gets some opportunities, but he's got a huge uphill battle to even get on the field at this point.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If the Texans draft a receiver at all then Metchie has to be done.

Their starters are set obviously.
    Noah Brown is the 4th receiver.
    They like Steven Sims as a returner. (but he's no lock for a spot)

That's 5 receivers right there.

Hutchinson is someone they just drafted as a project that they allegedly liked.

Metchie looks like odd man out already, though of course Sims could get cut and Metchie could beat out Hutchinson.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm totally with you.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And there's still Woods, if they don't cut him. Though I imagine he wouldn't be happy to stay on the team as the 5th WR at that point.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah but he can barely stay healthy... better take what you can get.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is now no. 4 option. Let’s go run and shoot!

eliefor3 likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Literally, I post that and 15 minutes later the trade is announced. Crazy.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I was a big Metchie fan when he was at Alabama.. I know the cancer set him back but he's looking like a goner soon... I hope Caserio at least let's him finish out his rookie contract in a Texans uni, though I haveth no clue how long that contract is..

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Metchie was out of football for awhile, so last year was him getting his sea legs back. Personally, I'd like to keep him and see how he looks, but fan bases are already circling our b/u WRs after the Diggs trade... https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/t...toring-following-houstons-stefon-diggs-trade/

https://catcrave.com/posts/carolina-panthers-handed-opportunity-after-stefon-diggs-trade
    Would love to add Metchie to our one of our 2nds to move up to 33 (CAR pick in 2nd) and a later pick. Work it Nick!

Hahaha, KC wanting Metchie for a conditional Day 3 pick--dream on... https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city-chiefs/stefon-diggs-trade-john-metchie-texans/

#134 Shark44, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Sooty and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all shouldn't be writing this guy off. Au contraire, he's gonna get there. John's been on a journey, to be sure, but is on his way back. It's not just the incredible story of overcoming and surviving. He looked good as he began to get on the field at the end of the year. Metchie's going to live up to where he was drafted and play in this league for a long time.

Two Sandwiches, Sooty and red5rocket like this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Metchie has had a ton to overcome since being drafted. Him not panning out is totally understandable and acceptable. He's looked slow to me since coming back and just not very physical. That being said, I highly doubt they are drafting any WR now. With Nico, Tank, Diggs, Woods, Brown, Hutchinson, and Metchie, thats only 7. And at least one of these guys (if not more) is hurt at any given time. It wouldn't be surprising for him to still make the roster imo.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Caserio very specifically said "[Metchie's] a great story like no question about it, but okay now there has to be some kind of tangible football production behind it". Meaning they will move on if Metchie doesnt produce. And so far he hasn't produced, and looks a bit far away from doing it. On outside looking in

That said, I think they still give Metchie 1 more "Jon Singleton nice comeback story" chance to break through. And a GM can have some ego wanting his drafted player he traded for to work, not fail. (Metchie should be shadowing Diggs every chance he gets as an understudy, even if Diggs doesnt want it)

18. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I think they'll keep him through his deal but he's lost a lot. It's completely understandable considering the circumstances. Maybe figure out a coaching position for him.

javal_lon likes this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Should be two years remaining

javal_lon likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

I want him to succeed here.

cmoak1982 likes this.