1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: What Are You Watching - Corona Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 15, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

tinman, boomboom and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thirteen on Amazon, early Jodie Comer short series only 5 episodes and the mystery actually holds up.

Requiem on Netflix not good and the ending was terrible.

Started watching Absentia, 2 eps in and it's ok for a american procedural still a bit of mystery and the acting is ok.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Barkskins on NatGeo. Based on a novel on French colonization vs Native Indians in Canada. Little slow to start but things starting to come together.

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I finished the first season of Homecoming with Julia Roberts (from the guy that created Mr. Robot). The show finished strong, and all the actors were great in it, but it took it's time getting going. I'm hoping they amp up the story for the second season.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just watched Da 5 Bloods. Great premise. Good dialogue throughout. Great acting and casting. Powerful message with impeccable timing.

However as a film, I was constantly baffled by a lot of the directing decisions. Some of it was just straight up weird and distracting. The climax seems rushed in spots and one of the central characters changes in a way that doesn’t feel completely earned yet even though when we get to that point in the film it’s an incredibly holy sh$t Tarantino type of climactic scene that is so good it overlooks some of the weirdness.

Spike Lee for me is a hit or miss director, but in this one it’s a mixed bag. One of my fav movies that is highly underrated is the 25th hour. Inside Man, Do the Right Thing, Blakklansman are all great. Then there’s some forgettable stuff like the Oldboy remake. I think in the end this will be a film most people will admire and remember more than some of his better ones but man I just wish he would have made some better directing and editing decisions. 7/10 but could have been 9/10 easily.

Sanctity likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I'm glad someone else is watching it.

It's not bad at all.

gucci888 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks... after seeing the promos I have been very interested in watching this.

gucci888 likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Highly recommend the hulu originals that are very well written:

PEN15 - about middle school drama and tweenager angst. You can re-live all the cringiness of middle school all over again. Its hilarious.

Catch-22 - wartime comedy and all the Abbot and Costello jokes you could ever ask for.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have been thinking of watching this can't really pin down the premise.

Is it a government mystery thing or more of a straight drama?

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

If I said it's got a little Momento-like unreliable narrator thing going on, and that it's also a mystery/conspiracy, I wouldn't be lying. But I might be making it sound bigger and better than it is. To keep your expectations in check, just know that: each episode is about a half hour (and some are a chore to get through even at that length), it's from the guy behind Mr. Robot, and it casts Julia Roberts in a very unglamorous and very different sort of role for her.

You might not love it or feel completely satisfied when the season is finished, but I think you'll agree once you watch it that it's a really good show for our times. I'm happy to add that what I've seen of season 2 has been great.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I liked MR Robot that's why I asked more questions.

With it being 30 minute episodes I will check it out I can get through that easily.

I like unreliable narratives if done right.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Been burning through The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.

Not great but very good it's very engaging and has good momentum.

Great acting, looking forward to finishing tonight.

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I think you'll like it. I got through it fast myself. It wasn't so much because I loved each episode and couldn't wait to get to the next one; more that I was just curious to see when or if something was going to happen.

Sorry I can't give you a better description of the show. I don't know how to without spoiling things. There's not a lot to spoil really, but what happens needs to be experienced/revealed along the way to really be appreciated.

Oh, and this was probably done on a small budget. ;)

#374 FrontRunner, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you actually gave me everything I need.

I just hate to get into something and not like it because I think we both have completion disease, hoping the end will be worth it.

I have swung the other way and get out about 30 minutes in if I can see the flaws.

Have you watched Hill House or Ascension?

Really like Hill House and Ascension can go either way I am about 3 episodes in and it's still worth watching.

16. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Lol. That sounds like me. I don't have many shows that I watch but then ones I do I expect to be really good. This was good in a eerie drama sort of way, if you know what I mean. It was a good story, well acted, and it's got great potential, which I why I returned for season 2.

I don't have Netflix unfortunately. I would be all over Hill House if I could. I love a good quality horror movie of show. I hadn't heard of Ascension, but someday I'll check it out hopefully.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For those caught up with Legion...Is it worth watching after first 2 seasons?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ascension, is on Amazon, Stana Katich stars its just above network procedural mystery show so far, a lot of middling actors but the premise is interesting and it could go somewhere, I am 3 episodes in and I have to complete now.:D

Stana is doing good work and most of the story lines are interesting.

Have you watched The Fall?

Interested to see your take if you have.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I watched it, IMO the 1st season is the best if you are having doubts after the 2nd I don't think it's worth it.

I watched the 1st episode of season 3 and then watched the last 2 and did not feel I missed anything and the ending was not satisfying at all IMO.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That was interesting. Too bad the movie had unsympathetic characters, and the sequel burned all of these ideas to the ground.

I had to read the sequel's wiki to remember if I watched that mess or not.

Leave it up to Lost Lindleoff to storm up grandiose ideas that end up abstracted into non-movie easter eggs.