1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ah, crap... fixed it.

At least I didn't accidentally post something worse like a fellow Rockets fan did on twitter.

[​IMG]

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet Trump still is garnering 40% support. It's hard to say that these 40% of the entire population will ever go back to the middle - at least not any time soon. How do Republicans take that back? They are losing to people who advocate QAnon lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I like this.

But I don't like the constant calls for a third party that's imagined as being in-between D's and R's. You know the one. It's filled with 'moderates' and 'centrists.'

The problem with that is that the center is constantly moving. So there is no such party.

The Democrats are the moderate party. They're the fiscally conservative party too. And, lately, they are also far-and-away the pro-life party.

Rashmon, subtomic, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Is that a square headed Trump in your avatar?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

PeR MiLlIOn DoESNt MaTtER WhEN U hAz mORE MiLlIoNs!!!!1

RayRay10, Deckard and R0ckets03 like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not all never / Anti Trumpers are the same. Mitt Romney's positions aren't the same as Justin Amash's. Mitt Romney is enough of a pragmatist that he could probably find a home with moderate Democrats. Democrats like Melissa Slotkin and Conor Lamb are probably pretty close to Romney ideologically. For that matter as an institutionalist Romney is probably very willing to work with an incoming Biden Presidency.

Justin Amash is a true ideological Conservative. It's doubtful he would ever feel comfortable in a moderate party with moderate Democrats.

Both parties have always been large unwieldy coalitions and the party that can best control their coalitions is the one that can win. For that matter both parties are willing to switch views. 100 years from now there likely will still be two parties and they likely could still be called "Democrat" and "Republican" but their issues might be totally different.

RayRay10, Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno. When Amash released his presidential bid platform it look a whole heck of a lot like the Democratic platform. No free college and M4A, but his ideals of liberty/liberalism are pretty stinkin close to someone like myself.

The libertarian Tea party that is funded by the Koch’s is not idealogical at all though so it’s important to distinguish that Amash probably was never truly aligned with the heads of that caucus and their financial backers which were more concerned about the fossil fuel industry than they were about getting rid of government overreach.

I think you’ll see Amash continue to work with the Democrats more if he stays in office sort of like how Rand Paul caucuses with the Republicans. See his most recent bill he co-signed with Ayanna Presley (squad member) on qualified immunity. On many issues like this pertaining to individual rights, he’s much closer to Democrats in Congress than he is Republicans, and unlike Rand Paul who sees his goal in Congress to be the guy who stops every piece of legislation (until he’s bribed by a lobbyist at the right price in the very end) Amash actually WANTS to legislate.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The GOP was a marriage of pro-business types with a nationalistic party what favored tribalism. That worked for a long while. The Democrat coalition is different because it is a spectrum of ideals that at times are in conflict. Moderate Democrats are not in sync with the far left and conflict on issues.

You already see this with conservative Democrats who are pro guns / anti-abortion and the left. It's a strained coalition with fracture lines forming.

The fact is that moderate Dems have more in common with Mitt Romney / Justin Amash than they do with Sanders / AOC. That doesn't mean Mitt & Justin would fit well in the party, it means that they may break the party.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

lil' mario's message... COVID-19 (and mask wearing) is such a losing issue for trump and republicans that he is spinning it as a non-story, unimportant...

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

For me this picture sums up what Trump and the Republican Party is all about this election. Notice the clever use of a person of color to deliver Trump's hidden message to his supporters:

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Make America Sieg Heil Again

just for reference for trump defenders who didn't vote for him, this is the american eagle on the dollar @dachuda86 @bigtexxx
    [​IMG]

#1674 vlaurelio, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  15. Buck Turgidson

What would help even more is if the bullsh!t gerrymandering would get under control.

Representatives should represent the people who are together, not some jacked-up monstrosity like this, created simply for the end result of getting a Republican elected (John Culbertson says "HI")

[​IMG]

16. Buck Turgidson

Yes! Thank you.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Here's one of my 2: no wonder Chip Roy could get elected

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Here's the other, Roger Williams (I think I've said a few things about this chisler) I wish I could vote against both of them:

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

New trump ad...

20. Buck Turgidson

That is...is...is pretty strong. Wow.

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.