1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 2, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

RANKING THE DEFENSIVE BACKS

CORNERBACKS
    1. JEFF OKUDAH, Ohio State (6-1, 205, 4.47, 1)
    2. C.J. HENDERSON, Florida (6-0 ½, 204, 4.37, 1)
    3. JAYLON JOHNSON, Utah (6-0, 193, 4.51, 1-2)

Johnson is a third-year junior, two-year starter at LC. “Good man press corner,” said one scout. “Little bit less effective in off. Has size and length. Needs to get a little bit stronger. He’s a little bit lean. He had a shoulder earlier in the year so his tackling was off. I think he’s faster than he ran. I could see him at the end of the first.” Johnson underwent surgery in March for a torn labrum after being injured in September. It was his third shoulder operation. “Other than the shoulder, he’s clean,” a second scout said. “His game’s not strength. It’s his coverage. I think the dude can really cover. He doesn’t show lack of willingness or any inconsistency as a tackler.” He finished with 102 tackles, seven picks and 28 passes defensed. “He’s a stiff player that tends to play high,” a third scout said. “He’s out of balance at the top of routes. When he’s playing off he has dirty eyes. Average to below tackler. He does not hunt the ball. He lacks change of direction when playing off. Good ball production. Does a nice job when matched up with large receivers. He’ll go in the first or second. Would I take him there? No.” Johnson posted a Wonderlic of 21 and is from Fresno, Calif.

4. TREVON DIGGS, Alabama (6-1 ½, 205, no 40, 1-2)
    5. A.J. TERRELL, Clemson (6-1, 194, 4.40, 1-2)

A third-year junior, Terrell “looks the part,” said one scout. “You’re OK with him until the LSU game. I thought that game, in and of itself, would have kept him in school. He got twisted and turned and lost. For a good player, it was an embarrassing performance. But he’s young and he’s big and he’s fast, so somebody will take a chance on him.” His 40 time ranked second behind Henderson among the top 15 corners. “I don’t mind him,” said another scout. “He lacks body control. He’s always on the ground, always struggling. He falls down a lot.” He appeared to be the guilty party on TD passes to LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase covering 52, 56 and 14 yards. “It’s not the LSU game that killed it for me,” said a third scout. “That No. 1 from LSU (Chase) kicked everybody’s ass. He’s probably the second most talented guy behind Henderson but doesn’t play hard and misses tackles. At the same time, you see a guy that’s big and fast and can cover. As good of an athlete as he is, he does have some stiffness and he plays a little too high at times.” Terrell posted a Wonderlic of 10 and is from Atlanta.

6. JEFF GLADNEY, TCU (5-10, 191, 4.48, 1-2)

Gladney is the shortest of the top 12 players at the position, “but he does have length (31 7/8 arms),” one scout said. “He’s really good. Feisty. He’ll come up in run support. What holds me back is you do see the lack of height show up against bigger targets. Second round.” Gladney blew out his knee in the playoffs of his senior high school season in New Boston, Texas. He underwent meniscus surgery in March not long after the combine. “I do like him,” said a second scout. “He’s 5102 (5-10 ¼). That’s big enough in today’s football. He’s better than (Damon) Arnette. He’s got explosion, quickness, ball skills. You’d like to see more interceptions. His movement skills are pretty good.” Gladney posted a Wonderlic of 16 and started 42 of 50 games, finishing with 146 tackles, five picks and 43 passes defensed. “He’s little, but he’s a starting nickel,” a third scout said. Added a fourth scout: “There’s a lot of stuff that he’s not but he’s a good football player. His ceiling is not as high as Henderson or Okudah, but his floor is higher than Henderson’s. Not great speed.”

7. KRISTIAN FULTON, LSU (5-11 ½, 197, 4.47, 1-2)
    8. NOAH IGBINOGHENE, Auburn (5-10 ½, 197, 4.51, 1-2)
    9. DAMON ARNETTE, Ohio State (5-11 ½, 195, 4.51, 2)
    10. BRYCE HALL, Virginia (6-1, 202, no 40, 2-3)

Hall arrived in Charlottesville as a WR but was quickly switched to CB. He started 39 of 44 games over four years. “I think he’ll be a super value pick,” said one scout. “You get him in the third or fourth and he’s a potential starter outside. He’s not a shutdown No. 1 but I trusted his game more than Gladney, Terrell and Diggs. He’s coming off a broken ankle.” Hall underwent surgery after suffering the major injury in Game 6. “Kind of a wild card,” a second scout said. “You liked his junior tape. He got his hands on a ton of balls. Might have to be a safety.” He finished with 154 tackles (9 ½ for loss), five picks and 44 passes defensed and posted a Wonderlic of 27. “I don’t know how he’s going to come back from that injury, but he does have starter traits,” a third scout said. “I thought his speed was average. You like how big he is. If the smarts check out I could see him being a safety. Against little quick, fast dudes, I thought he struggled. He can match up against big, physical receivers, but I don’t think he’s very loose.” Hall is from Harrisburg, Pa.

11. REGGIE ROBINSON, Tulsa (6-1, 202, 4.49, 3)
    12. CAMERON DANTZLER, Mississippi State (6-2, 188, 4.60, 3)

OTHERS, in order: Amik Robertson, Louisiana Tech; Troy Pride, Notre Dame; Javaris Davis, Auburn; Michael Ojemudia, Iowa; John Reid, Penn State; L’Jarius Sneed, Louisiana Tech; Kindle Vildor, Georgia Southern; Darnay Holmes, UCLA; Josiah Scott, Michigan State; Bopete Keyes, Tulane; Dane Jackson, Pitt; Madre Harper, Southern Illinois; Nevelle Clark, Central Florida; Harrison Hand, Temple; Lavert Hill, Michigan; Essang Bassey, Wake Forest; Zane Lewis, Air Force; A.J. Green, Oklahoma State; Lamar Jackson, Nebraska.

FLASH21 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

SAFETIES
    1. XAVIER McKINNEY, Alabama (6-0 ½, 201, 4.65, 1-2)

McKinney is possibly the most polarizing player in the secondary. “He didn’t run a great 40, but he’s a good football player, man,” said one scout. “If he can play safety and run the show for (Nick) Saban, you’re a damn good football player. He was asked to do a lot.” McKinney is a third-year junior and two-year starter. “Everybody says how smart he is,” said another scout. “He didn’t do a great job on the interview. Everybody says he calls it, he runs the show for them on the back end. To me, it looks like he’s looking at No. 21 (Jared Mayden) asking him what he’s supposed to do. He’s looking to other people … I do think he plays faster than he timed. Great players make plays. This kid doesn’t.” In addition to the poor 40, he posted average testing numbers. “There’s no bust there,” a third scout said. “He’s a really good player. He’s a winner. He’s a leader. He can be versatile. I don’t think he has an elite trait except probably his instincts.” He scored 11 on the Wonderlic and finished with 176 tackles (13 for loss), six sacks, five forced fumbles, five picks and 20 passes defenses. “That’s all he is is a starter,” said a fourth scout. “He’ll be exposed. He won’t be able to run. Nice kid. Looks like he’s got pretty good hands. He’ll be in a good position, but speed will be his Achilles.” He’s from Roswell, Ga. “Late in the year he missed a hell of a lot more tackles than he made,” a fifth scout said. “This guy is not a first-round player. I don’t see a ballhawk. I don’t see a hammer. I don’t see a guy who can cover the field. He’s a good cover guy against tight ends and backs, not great. But I don’t think he can cover wide receivers.” Added a sixth scout: “They’ve had some other guys come out of there but he’s probably the most complete package compared to Ha Ha (Clinton-Dix), Ronnie Harrison, Landon Collins. He’s better than all those guys. He’s more well-rounded. I’ll take that one to court.”

2. KYLE DUGGER, Lenoir-Rhyne (6-1, 217, 4.48, 2)

Dugger didn’t start until his senior year in high school. His only offer was from NCAA Division II Lenoir-Rhyne, which is located in Hickory, N.C. “That’s in-between App State and Charlotte,” said one scout. “I like him. He’s tough and he can tackle. Technique-wise, he’s got a long ways to go because of where he played.” Started 42 games over six years, redshirting in 2014 and receiving a medical redshirt (meniscus) in ’16. “He has everything athletically that you want,” another scout said. “At the Senior Bowl, against very good competition, he showed up. For a small-school kid he knew exactly what they were doing. He’s just a great kid. I’d take him in the first round. He does miss tackles but it’s not because of a lack of want-to.” Dugger finished with 237 tackles (6 ½ for loss), 10 picks and 36 passes defensed. “He’s like (Isaiah) Simmons and (Jeremy) Chinn,” a third scout said. “Can play a lot of different spots. He can really run. It’s going to be a little bit of a transition coming from Division II, but he’s got all the tools.” He led the safeties in vertical jump (42), wingspan (78 ½), arm length (32 7/8), hand size (10 3/8) and body fat (4.0%) and scored 23 on the Wonderlic. “He’s real,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a fearless tackler. He’s got range. Makes plays all over the field. Man-to-man coverage skills. He may go in the second.” Dugger is from Decatur, Ga.

3. ANTOINE WINFIELD, Minnesota (5-9, 203, 4.44. 2-3)
    4. GRANT DELPIT , LSU (6-2 ½, 213, no 40, 2-3)

Delpit declared a year early after starting all three seasons. “He’s probably the best (safety),” said one scout. “This guy is too big and fast, and has too good cover skills. He can be a tight-end eraser, which everybody’s looking for. He’s first-round worthy.” His best season was 2018, and he finished his career with 199 total tackles (17 ½ for loss), seven sacks, eight interceptions and 32 passes defensed. “I do like him,” a second scout said. “I wish Delpit played more effectively tackling the ball carrier this year. I’ve seen him do it better in past years. I think he’s a gifted guy athletically. I think he’s going to be a starter early.” He posted 27 on the Wonderlic. “I think he can cover tight ends,” a third scout said. “He’s a big guy. He can do a lot of good things, but I’m not a big fan. He played free safety most of the time, but I wouldn’t play him at free because he can’t tackle. He made all the tackles where the guy is coming to him. Anyone can make those. But when he had to tackle people in space he had a hard time. I think he has good coaches. They have good (defensive backs) come out every year. I don’t think it’s coaching. The kid has to do it. Does he have a skill set to do it? Yes, but I don’t know if he will.” Delpit is from Houston.

5. ASHTYN DAVIS, California (6-1, 202, no 40, 3)
    6. JEREMY CHINN, Southern Illinois (6-3, 222, 4.41, 3)

Chinn is a four-year starter at SS. “This guy is like (Isaiah) Simmons,” said one scout. “If I was a defensive coordinator I would want this guy because he could help me a lot. I watched him last year against Ole Miss as he covered A.J. Brown and DK Metcalf. He covered Metcalf with no problem, and he had a great breakup on an over route to Brown. I don’t like small-school guys, but when I can see them play against a Southeastern Conference school that’s what sold me.” Had the highest Wonderlic (30) and best broad jump (11-6) of the safeties. “He’s very similar to Isaiah Simmons,” said another scout. “Do you want Simmons at No. 4 or Jeremy Chinn at the top of the second? He’s a beautiful-looking kid. Has all the test measurables. Good player on tape. Can play man coverage. He played against A.J. Brown and did a really good job. He’s a great kid, too.” Finished with 243 tackles (five for loss), 13 picks and 31 passes defensed. “Don’t believe the hype,” an NFL special-teams coordinator said. “He is a pretty looking guy but you don’t see any of that on tape. He’s not really a contact player. He’s one of the guys who looks good getting off the bus. Usually special teams are a pretty good indicator (of play on defense). Sometimes not because they don’t care. Usually guys that ball, ball. They don’t care if it’s fourth down or first down.” Also had a 41-inch vertical jump and 30 reps on the bench. “He’s OK,” a third scout said. “Not a strong tackler. One thing he can do is run. Needs better control in space. Late reactor. Can he be a corner? I’m not sure.” Chinn is from Fishers, Ind., and has suffered three major injuries (two shoulders, one foot) since 2016.

7. JULIAN BLACKMON, Utah (5-11 ½, 187, no 40, 3-5)
    8. TERRELL BURGESS, Utah (5-11 ½, 202, 4.42, 3-4)

OTHERS, in order: K’Von Wallace, Clemson; Brandon Jones, Texas; J.R. Reed, Georgia; Daniel Thomas, Auburn; Kenny Robinson, ex-West Virginia (XFL); Alohi Gilman, Notre Dame; Chris Miller, Baylor; Antoine Brooks, Maryland; Josh Metellus, Michigan; Jordan Fuller, Ohio State; Geno Stone, Iowa; Brian Cole, Mississippi State; Jared Mayden, Alabama; Myles Dorn, North Carolina; Jalen Elliott, Notre Dame; Marc-Antoine Dequoy, Universite De Montreal.0

THE SKINNY

UNSUNG HERO
    John Reid, CB, Penn State: A three-year starter with ball production (seven picks, 37 passes defensed) and modest return ability, Reid lacks size (5-10 ½, 187) but ran 4.46 and had the fastest short shuttle (3.96) at the position. He played outside in base, inside in nickel. “He has great quickness – you can hang your hat on that,” one scout said.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
    Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech: A three-year starter with exceptional production (14 picks, 48 passes defensed), Robertson declared a year early. But he’s just 5-8 ½, 187 and didn’t run at the combine. “One of my favorite players in the whole draft,” said one scout. “He went up against Collin Johnson (of Texas, who is 6-5 ½, 222) and fought him the whole game. Like Terrell Buckley, if he’s coming through town he’s gonna get shot but he’s gonna do some damage himself.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
    NFL executive in personnel: “First of all, you have to think, can this guy play in multiple schemes? If we have a turnover in this staff, is this guy going to be able to play for us in three years? Scouts have to think long term and coaches think immediately: ‘How quickly can I get this guy up to speed and on the field?’”

FLASH21 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

What will Bill O’Brien do? Here are five Texans draft predictions

Bill O’Brien has asked for years of patience before anyone makes a final judgment of the roster overhaul he’s conducted since seizing control of the Texans. But at least the wait to see his process’ next steps is nearly over.

The NFL Draft begins Thursday, and though O’Brien currently doesn’t possess a first-round pick, he’s proven by now he’s bound to make a move that’ll get fans and pundits talking. The only question is how?

Will O’Brien trade up? Trade down? Deal a player currently on his roster? Snag a prospect who unexpectedly falls and addresses an apparent weakness?

A day before the draft, with many moves around the league yet to occur, not even O’Brien can say for certain. But because I spend most of my time these days thinking about either the coronavirus or the ripple effects of the DeAndre Hopkins trade, I figured I’d take a guess.

Here, then, are five Texans-related predictions for the 2020 draft, which will all absolutely, most definitely be completely correct.

The Texans will trade down from the 40th pick

In my final mock draft, the Texans traded with the Jaguars to move down from pick No. 40 to 42. Houston also gave up the 240th selection. In return, the Texans netted the 137th pick and a 2021 sixth-rounder from Jacksonville. Based on Pro Football Reference’s pick value chart, this deal is a bit lopsided toward Houston, and Pro Football Focus data shows the Texans “win” that deal 57 percent of the time.

Even if O’Brien can’t find quite that favorable of a trade — I was surprised I did — moving down could still make a lot of sense for the Texans. They lack premium draft capital following the Laremy Tunsil trade and must now restock. Teams’ hit rate on picks hasn’t meaningfully improved with time, so they should prioritize acquiring a high volume of chances at landing an impact player.

What could Houston get in return for the 40th pick? Here’s a sampling of past deals:

2014: Seattle traded pick Nos. 40 and 108 for pick Nos. 45, 111 and 227
    2009: Oakland traded the 40th pick for pick Nos. 47, 124 and 199
    1999: Chicago traded pick Nos. 40 and 102 for pick Nos. 48, 78 and 111
    None of those trades involved future picks, but perhaps O’Brien would prefer 2021 or 2022 selections over ones in this draft. In his pre-draft conference with reporters, O’Brien expressed doubt regarding whether many rookies would make impacts this year because of how the coronavirus pandemic has altered the offseason.

“This year, with the unique position that we’re in, I truly believe that this is a veteran-type of year,” O’Brien said. “I think it’s going to be really difficult for rookies without offseason practicing on the field and being able to do all the things that you do during that five-week stretch after the draft and then training camp. Who knows when all that will start? I’m not trying to predict that, but I think this year being different than any other year — that’s part of our building of the team.”

A free agent who signs with Houston after the draft will play more defensive snaps than any Texans rookie

Staying on O’Brien’s point about rookies’ potentially limited impacts, I’m not sure the most notable addition the Texans will make to their 2020 defense during the remainder of the offseason will come via this draft. Having mostly tweaked their offense to this point, the Texans are likely to focus on defense not only this weekend, but in the weeks to come, too.

Following the draft, free agent signings won’t count toward the compensatory pick formula, so there should be another wave of deals. There are useful, veteran pass rushers still on the market, including Clay Matthews and Markus Golden, as well as corners who could supply depth to a group that’s mostly unchanged from a season ago. Even Jadeveon Clowney is still available! (No way the Texans sign him.)

According to Over The Cap’s projection, the Texans currently have $19.5 million in cap space. Much of that will evaporate once the team signs its draft class and agrees to expensive extensions for Tunsil and quarterback Deshaun Watson. But the Texans can always create more with cuts or trades.

Guard Zach Fulton and receiver Kenny Stills each count for $7 million against the cap, but their contracts carry no dead money. Releasing reserve offensive lineman Senio Kelemete would net Houston nearly $2.8 million in space. If the Texans cut safety Tashaun Gipson — who O’Brien didn’t mention in his pre-draft presser, after highlighting the position as one the team could add to via the draft — that would free about $3.7 million.

The Texans rookie who starts the most games this season will be an offensive lineman

If there’s any position at which O’Brien might put a lot of trust into a rookie this year, it could be along the offensive line, where players are mostly exempt from rotations and there’s one spot the Texans could use a long-term upgrade: right guard. That’s where Fulton has started 28 games during the past two seasons, and because of both his salary and his play, the team could use the draft to find an eventual replacement for him.

According to PFF, rookie Max Scharping and Fulton tied for the team lead in pressures allowed (28) last season, but the latter is a veteran playing on a contract carrying $7 million cap hits and no guaranteed money in each of the next two seasons. Unless the Texans draft an instant-impact guard, cutting Fulton before the season might not make much sense. But the money Houston could free up by moving on from him in 2021 — when Watson and Tunsil will presumably be playing for a lot more money — would be valuable. If Fulton struggles during his third year in Houston, perhaps O’Brien gives a rookie offensive lineman a chance in the second half of the season, so the team can decide whether it has a viable replacement.

Houston will add yet another vertical threat

By swapping DeAndre Hopkins for Brandin Cooks, the Texans have rebuilt their receiving corps around speed. They could use this deep class at the position to find a big-bodied possession receiver who complements the existing pieces, or they could double down. Here’s to guessing the Texans do the latter, even if that defies team-building norms.

Why am I predicting this? I’m not convinced O’Brien views a short and intermediate target as a pressing need. During a free agency period in which receivers encountered a mostly dry market, O’Brien gave slot receiver Randall Cobb a three-year, $27 million deal that includes $18 million guaranteed. He obviously expects a lot of production out of Cobb. And if O’Brien’s bet on a David Johnson resurgence comes to fruition, it’ll be because the running back once again becomes arguably the best receiver at his position, like he was in his All-Pro 2016 campaign.

That’s to say nothing of Houston’s tight ends, including Darren Fells, who is coming off a career year; Jordan Akins, whose targets more than doubled in his second pro season; and Kahale Warring, who spent his rookie year on IR but still garners expectations from the coaching staff.

“I’m excited about Kahale’s future,” O’Brien said. “I really like Kahale. I think he’s a hardworking guy, and I think he’s got a lot of talent, and I think he’s going to be a really good player for us.”

If all of these men play at the top end of their potential, maybe the Texans really won’t need a wide receiver whom Watson can turn to for a quick throw in tight coverage. But that’s a big parlay.

O’Brien will draft a RB in the fourth or fifth round

The Texans are already tying up $15.2 million in cap space to running backs David and Duke Johnson. Would they really draft a running back this early?

Since O’Brien has taken over for the front office, the Texans have made three trades for running backs. He clearly places more value on the position than football’s analytics crowd, or really much of the league. And though the perceived success or failure of the Texans’ biggest offseason move hinges on David Johnson having a bounce-back year, O’Brien must consider the possibility that doesn’t happen. Johnson might have passed his physical with “flying colors,” as the coach said, but the running back has played in 30 games during the past three seasons. And when he’s been on the field, he hasn’t been productive, averaging 3.7 yards per carry during the past two years.

So O’Brien will hedge by drafting a running back with either the 111th pick, the 171st pick or another middle-round selection that he picks up via trade.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

My prediction. Texans move up 5-6 slots in the draft, they will also give up a future 1st or 2nd rounder to do so.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dam!! These mock drafts get worse and worse.

Rudyc281, conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What 1st or 2nd rounder?

eliefor3 likes this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Especially this year...it’s all just a guess.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

MMQB/SI: OVERRATED/UNDERRATED PROSPECTS

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5 Quick Notes from last 24 hours of working the phones…

Wills/Wirfs/Thomas all expected to go Top 10 in no particular order. Sounds like Becton—the Combine superstar— is expected to be the 4th OT off the board.

— Peter Schrager (@PSchrags) April 22, 2020

2. Tua's a wildcard. If Miami and Los Angeles pass in Top 10, which they very well might, it could be a longer evening than anyone expected.

3. The CB class is fascinating. It's Okudah, Henderson, a gap—and then a long list of guys who all could go in the first round.

Jaylon Johnson, A.J. Terrell, Kristian Fulton, Noah Igbinoghene, Trevon Diggs all getting first round consideration.

4. Both DeAndre Swift and Clyde Edwards-Helaire could go in the first round. I'd say, more likely, the rest of the running back crop at the top will go in second and third round, based on conversations around the league.

5. Talking to teams around the league, Isaiah Simmons is expected to go in the 7 – 12 range of this Draft. I'd be surprised if he fell out of the Top 10.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

As I listen to Billy talk about layers (meaning depth), as a fan I would love to add an OLB/Edge, 2 DL (5T and a NT), Safety, RG (flex to play tackle) CB, RB with our 7 picks. Here are my favs in a suggested round they might be available,

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darrell-taylor?id=32195441-5914-6193-6988-dd442dbf7f65
    PICK 40 - OLB/Edge: Let's pay attention to Darrell Taylor in the draft, I like his size, speed and flexibility as a 3/4 Edge guy for us a lot. With his former coach Mike Rumph the new OLB Coach for our Texans, that certainly gives us a scouting edge on him. I watched some other tape when TEN played GA and he gave massive RT Isaiah Wilson (2-3rd Rd Prospect) real trouble. I think if we want him we'll have to select him at 40 because its doubtful he'll make it to our 3rd rd slot, but if he did that would be perfect. The way he can bend reminds me of a young Robert Quinn and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes before our 2nd.

https://watchstadium.com/videos/baylor-dt-james-lynch-highlight-reel-2019-season-college-football/
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-lynch?id=32194c59-4e20-3895-d596-bf65d3020e46
    PICK 90 - DL/5T: I love me some James Lynch. Dude reminds me of Hamish in Braveheart (Mel Gibson's right hand), he's the proverbial bull in a china shop wreaking havoc on QBs and RBs. Seems like a perfect understudy to Watt. He may not last to pick 90, but I'm putting him there for the purpose of this mock.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnay-holmes?id=3219484f-4c51-9082-f3ad-ff2c44591d4c
    PICK 111 - CB: By a miracle Darnay Holmes slips to our first pick on Day 3 and we scoop him up quickly. Play-making Junior who still has room to improve. Love his toughness and ball skills.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darrynton-evans?id=32194556-4111-6537-4adc-98552053123e
    PICK 171 - RB/ST: Was looking for a S or RG here, but the ghost of Al Davis whispered "play-making speed destroys opponents" in my ear. This kid (Darrynton Evans) is like a blur, when he gets his hands on the ball and is so decisive. His all around skills and KR ability gives us some real speed out of the backfield and someone to challenge Carter at KR. Slips because of small school and RB value down

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tanner-muse?id=32194d55-5309-5608-cf11-ed8e106f171c
    PICK 248 - S: Tanner Muse has intrigued me the way hybrid guys like Isaiah Simmons, Kyle Dugger and Jeremy Chinn do, After watching Kelce kill us in the play-offs this year and RBs do it prior years, I'm thinking we need a hybrid Safety. Someone big enough to cover TEs, but fast enough to stay with RBs as well. While Tanner is a little stiff and not nearly as athletic as the trio I mentioned, he's got a nose for the ball and hits like a LB. Worse case he makes a name for himself on special teams. I'd love to snag him with one of our 7th rd picks, just not sure he's there.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/solomon-kindley?id=32194b49-4e19-0649-1d38-6abe795d5e75
    PICK 240 - G: Solomon Kindley is a big nasty mauler, who has started at RG and LG for GA Bulldogs. Left school early, but has some of the natural size and tough guy attitude that can be molded into a pro with some focus on technique.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bravvion-roy?id=3219524f-5906-2465-1403-d384e5bf09a4
    PICK 248 - NT: I'm not a Baylor fanboy and this pick came down to Roy or Penisini (Utah). Roy got the edge because he can push the pocket and we need all of that we can get.

Alrighty, that's my wish list, but there are a ton of players I like in this draft and if we go a different route (highly likely) then I won't be too disappointed (I hope), Let me know where I screwed up or what you like.

Why not?, FLASH21 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. raining threes

I really like this mock, very realistic.

The only pick I didn't like was the Muse pick. Give me a Developmental WR like Kirk Merritt.

Love the Evans pick. This guys a stud.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

McGinn’s NFL Draft Series: Scouts on top specialists

With or without the virus, the prospects aren’t appealing. “Overall, it’s a pretty weak year for special teams,” said one coordinator.

Kickers
    1. Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern (5-foot-10 1/2, 185, no 40, round 6-7): He redshirted in 2015 before starting four years. “He was the best guy at the combine,” one NFL special teams coordinator said. “He’s got an NFL leg. He seems like one of those kids that will be able to handle the pressure.” He made 54 of 68 field goals (79.4 percent) and 114 of 116 extra points. He excelled at the Senior Bowl, connecting from 50 and 41 yards. “He’s talented enough to get drafted, for sure,” said another coordinator. “Got a big, strong leg. He’s just a little inaccurate.” He kicked off effectively. “He’s not a good directional guy, but he doesn’t need to be because he can hit ‘em down the middle long if they want ‘em out,” said one coach. Bass is from Irmo, S.C.

2. Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia (6-foot-1, 190, no 40, round 7-FA): Blankenship is a four-year starter who arrived as a walk-on. “He’s kind of become a cult hero at Georgia, but I don’t think he has quite the leg that the Bass kid has,” said one coach. “He’s one of those guys, once it gets to be November and December and you’re playing in Green Bay, and you say, ‘Let’s kick it out,’ I don’t know if he can do that. He didn’t have a great day kicking off at the combine. … He’s missed a couple big kicks in his career, which is always a concern.” He made 80 of 97 field goals (82.5 percent) and all 200 extra points. “He fits the mold of the quirky kicker,” said another coach. “Kind of a nutty professor. Just a different guy.” From Marietta, Ga.

3. J.J. Molson, UCLA (5-foot-11, 182, no 40, FA): He’s a four-year starter. “I don’t think he’s good enough,” said one coach. “His great grandfather started Molson brewing. He’s got a lot of money. Maybe that’s a good thing, I don’t know. ‘What the heck, I’m still a multimillionaire whether I miss this kick or not.’” He made 51 of 74 field goals (68.9 percent) and 151 of 152 extra points. From Montreal.

Others: Matt Ammendola, Oklahoma State; Cooper Rothe, Wyoming; Dominik Eberle, Utah State; Samuel Sloman, Miami (Ohio).

Punters
    1. Tommy Townsend, Florida (6-foot-1 1/2, 191, 4.73, rounds 6-7): His brother, Johnny, was the Raiders’ fifth-round draft choice in 2018 out of Florida. He ranked 29th with a 38.3-yard net punt average as a rookie and has been out of work since late August. “It’s unfair, but it’s got to be in the back of (Tommy’s) mind,” said one coach. “It’s like, ‘He got drafted and didn’t do well. What’s this guy going to do different?’ This one is not quite as good of a directional punter, but he’s got a better leg. Had a nice combine. Seemed like a pretty good kid in the interview.” He redshirted at Tennessee in 2015. He spent four seasons with the Gators, starting in 2018 and 2019 and averaging 44.8 yards in 93 punts. “He can really hang it up in the air,” another coach said. “That’s the one thing that sticks out. He gets great hang time.” Townsend is from Orlando.

2. Braden Mann, Texas A&M (5-foot-11 1/2, 198, 4.8, rounds 6-7): He broke some records in 2018 with a 51-yard average before averaging 47.1 yards in ’19. “He got a lot of accolades in college, but I was just disappointed (with) his consistency,” said one coach. “He had some big punts and then he’d have a couple really poor punts.” He’s a hard worker and team leader. “When he came to the combine somebody had coached him up,” said the coach. “He was a jab step and two-step punter. He got rid of his jab step and tried to kick with two steps. His timing was off, and he didn’t do great at the combine. That was a little disconcerting. But he’s got a big leg, he’s kicked in big games and done pretty well. He’s just inconsistent.” Mann is from Cypress, Texas and scored a 34 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

3. Michael Turk, Arizona State (6 feet 1/2, 226, 4.77, FA): One of Turk’s uncles, Matt, made the Pro Bowl three times in a 17-year punting career with six teams. Another uncle, Dan, was a long snapper for 15 seasons. “Matt actually coaches him,” one coach said. “He declared (two years) early. He did well (at Louisiana Lafayette) and then immediately transferred to ASU because he wanted to get noticed. I’m sure some of that was Matt’s idea. You see some of his punts, you say he should go in the fourth round. Then you see some others and say, ‘I don’t want that guy in camp.’ He bench-pressed 25 times. He is a rocked-up kid. His ceiling is so high, but his floor is really low.” He spent 2017 at Lafayette, averaging a school-record 42.7 yards per punt. After redshirting in 2018 at ASU, he averaged 46 yards per punt in ’19. “He has a strong leg, but he’s terrible directionally,” another coach said. “He’s terrible technically. But when he hits it he hits it a ton.” From Dallas.

Others: Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse; Arryn Siposs, Auburn; Joseph Charlton, South Carolina; Dom Maggio, Wake Forest; Alex Pechin, Bucknell; Cody Grace, Arkansas State.

Long snappers
    1. Steven Wirtel, Iowa State (6-foot-3 1/2, 235, 4.79, round 7-FA): He snapped at the Senior Bowl and the combine. “He’s the pick of the litter,” said one coach. “My only issue is he’s left-handed. Not that that’s a big deal, but I can’t think of any in the NFL. Only difference is the ball’s just rotating the other way. It takes some getting used to. It (looked) like it was a bit of an issue for some guys holding at the combine. He’s the top guy, but I don’t think you need to draft him.” A four-year regular who was described by one scout as a “true football player.” Said another coach: “Looks like a pro snapper. Much better athlete than (Blake) Ferguson. Needs a little work on his short snap. We can get that fixed.” From Mount Carmel, Ill.

2. Blake Ferguson, LSU (6-foot-2 1/2, 229, 5.07, FA): His brother, Reid, also played at LSU and has been the Bills’ long snapper since 2017. “He’s really a good short snapper,” one coach said. “Really accurate long snapper. But his body’s a little weak for holding the point and being stout enough. He needs work protection-wise. He’s going to be a lot like his brother. He bounced around before he got a job.” He performed at the Senior Bowl and the combine. “He’s barely 230 and runs over 5.0,” said another coach. “He is definitely not draftable.” He underwent lumbar disc surgery in 2015 and ’17 but didn’t miss any games. From Buford, Ga.

3. Ross Matiscik, Baylor (5-foot-11 1/2, 237, no 40, FA): He assumed the Bears’ long-snapping duties after Jimmy Landes was drafted in the sixth round by the Lions in 2016. He played some as a backup linebacker in 2019 when injuries struck. “Looks very athletic on tape,” said one coach. “He snaps it really well but he’s never had to block. I’m just guessing he can get that done. He can run. He should be in a camp.” Matiscik is from McKinney, Texas.

Others: Keegan Firth, Oregon State; Mitch Harris, Brigham Young; Dayton Diemel, Wake Forest.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kickoff returners
    1. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (5-foot-10 1/2, 206, 4.46): He broke the Horned Frogs’ school record for punt-return average in 2019 that had held for 50 years. Averaged 20.8 yards per return as a senior and 17.8 yards on 23 career returns. “Runs through some arm tackles,” one special teams coordinator said. “Big, strong. He’s a pro returner.” A third-year junior, he took back 13 kickoffs for 24.2 yards per return. Reagor is from Waxahachie, Texas.

2. Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State (5-foot-11 1/2, 205, 4.53): He’s a junior college transfer. “Probably the best of the combo returners,” one special teams coordinator said. “He’s pretty special. He’s big. He’s physical. Runs really physical and strong.” In two seasons, he returned 28 kickoffs for a 27.1-yard average and 25 punts for an 11.7-yard average. His statistics dramatically improved in each return area as a senior. “He’s got game-changing ability,” said one scout. “It really gives him a lot of value at wideout. He’s dynamic.” From Reno, Nev.

3. Isaiah Wright, WR, Temple (6-foot-1, 214, no 40): He’s a four-year kickoff returner and three-year punt returner. “He reminds you some of Cordarrelle Patterson,” one coordinator said. “Not quite as fast, but he’s got good size. He runs strong.” He averaged 24.2 yards in 84 kickoff returns with two touchdowns and 10.3 yards in 43 punt returns with three touchdowns. Wright is from West Hartford, Conn.

4. Lynn Bowden, WR, Kentucky (5-foot-10 1/2, 204, no 40): He joined Randall Cobb as the only Wildcats players with 1,000 career receiving, rushing and kickoff return yards. “This guy’s the best pound-for-pound football player I scouted this year,” one scout said. “Now, he’s not the biggest, he’s not the fastest, etc. Really, really good vision with the ball in his hands. I see him as a 4.52 guy. He’s got edge, man. You’re coming to the fight with him, and he’s going to be in the fight. He’s not going to be in the back.” A backup wide receiver in 2017 who started in ’18 and ’19. He moved to quarterback after five games this season and, mainly as a runner who refused to take no for an answer, delivered a 6-2 record. “I’ve never seen a quarterback return punts and kickoffs before,” said another scout. “They weren’t doing anything early and they put (Bowden) back there. It’s not like he was playing in the NAIA or something like that. He’s playing in the top conference in the nation and averaging 8 yards a carry with two punt returns for touchdowns.” He returned 71 kickoffs for a 22.9-yard average and nine punts for 22.1 yards. He’s a third-year junior from Youngstown, Ohio.

5. Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn (5-foot-10 1/2, 197, 4.51): He returned just 20 kickoffs in the last two seasons but had a long touchdown return each year. “He’s got a burst,” said one coach. “He’s got long speed. I see the toughness. If they want to use him, he’s a starting kickoff returner.” He didn’t return punts. Igbinoghene is from Trussville, Ala.

6. K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State (5-foot-8 1/2, 178, no 40): He handled all the return duties for two seasons. “He’s one of those kids you go, ‘OK, pro punt returner,’” said one coach. “He’s small but he’s got a burst and change of direction.” He averaged 23.5 yards in 44 kickoff returns and merely 6 yards in 37 punt returns. “This is a little, little dude,” said one scout. “But he can do one thing: He can accelerate. Is he D’Anthony Thomas? Better kick returner than punt returner. Lot of dropped passes.” He’s from Pontiac, Mich.

7. Joe Reed, WR, Virginia (6 feet 1/2, 224, 4.51): A four-year returner who took back 106 for kickoffs, averaging 28.7 yards with five touchdowns. “Super productive,” said one coach. “He’s got ideal size. He runs more like a running back than a receiver. He’s a little bit straight line. He has good speed, not elite. He’s a lot like Aiyuk. This guy runs extremely hard and breaks a ton of tackles. Very courageous. Just slams it up in there.” He never returned a punt and is from Charlotte Court House, Va.

8. Tyler Huntley, RB, New Mexico State (5-foot-8, 190, 4.40): He only returned kickoffs, averaging 29.6 yards per return in 2017 and 27.2 yards in ’18, scoring five touchdowns. His average dipped to 20.1 yards in ’19. “Teams kicked away from him in 2019,” one scout said. “Explosive runner, receiver and kickoff returner. Excellent speed, quickness, elusiveness. Runs with good pad level. Strong for his size. Reminds me of Napoleon Kaufman.” He made great use of pro day with a swift 40-yard dash to go with 21 reps on the bench press, a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 feet, 11 inches. He’s an old-fashioned sleeper and is from Arlington, Texas.

9. Darrynton Evans, RB, Appalachian State (5-foot-10, 203, 4.47): He never returned a punt but returned 56 kickoffs for a 25.7-yard average and three touchdowns. “Not the biggest guy but very good,” said one coach. “In 2018, he averaged 32.6, which is pretty fantastic. He’s not the most physical guy.” He’s from Oak Hill, Fla.

10. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan (6-foot-1 1/2, 212, 4.49): A highly touted recruit from Detroit Cass Tech never lived up to his billing. “Vastly overrated,” one scout said. “Part of that is unfair because there was so much hype about the guy coming out. He’s athletic but he is not fast. He has no burst or explosion. He’s tougher than I thought he was going to be. He’s been a punt returner, but he’s average at it.” He never returned a kickoff but handled punts all three seasons, returning 89 for an 8.3-yard average and two touchdowns. “I kind of liked him right below the top guys,” said one coach. “His best year was 2018. He had a couple longer returns this year that he fumbled on. He let too many balls hit the ground on plays where he should be more aggressive and come up and make the catch, even if it’s just a fair catch. Probably lets over half the punts hit the ground. The guy has unbelievable testing numbers, but he only ran 4.50. He may be physically suited better to be a kickoff returner.” He scored a 28 on the Wonderlic.

Others: Ashtyn Davis, California; Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina; Antonio Gibson, RB, Memphis; Raymond Calais, RB, Louisiana; Chris Claybrooks, CB, Memphis; Kyler Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne; Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado; Grayland Arnold, CB, Baylor; Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas; Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech; Aaron Fuller, WR, Washington; KJ Osborn, WR, Miami.

The skinny

Unsung hero
    Sterling Hofrichter, P, Syracuse: He redshirted in 2015 behind Riley Dixon, who was drafted in the seventh round in 2016. A four-year starter with a 43.2-yard average, he also kicked off in 2018 and 2019, posting a touchback mark of 60.5 percent. “There aren’t many 5-9 1/2 punters, but he’s solid,” said one coach. “He’s really good directionally. That’s what he does best.”

Scouts’ nightmare
    Joseph Charlton, P. South Carolina: A three-year regular. At 6-foot-4 1/2 and 195 pounds, he has the desired size and a big leg, averaging 45.5 yards in 171 punts. His hands are the problem. He didn’t catch it well at the Senior Bowl or combine and holding is half the job description for the vast majority of punters. “He has terrible hands,” said one coach.

Scout to remember
    Frank Smouse: He spent almost five decades as a trusted adviser to the Brown family in Cincinnati. He started part time with the Bengals during his years as a coach at Kent State. He coached linebackers during the Bengals’ first season in 1968. He was urbane, witty and approachable. “Evaluate the evaluator” was one of his many pet expressions. He died in 2019 at 95.

Quote to note
    NFC personnel man: “Years and years ago, if a guy was a real good kickoff or punt returner, we moved him up a round. In this day and age, with directional kicking and rugby kicking and Aussie kicking, they’re taking the returners out of the game. I don’t think the value is there like it once was.”

15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Regardless of who the GM is, there's a 90+% that the Texans get worse relative to the league over the next 3 days. When you factor in who the GM is...that number goes up.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sounds like there could be a run on premium positions like OT and CB which would bold well for us.

Espenesa, Baun, or Davidson at 40 is my best case scenario.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at Merritt. Here's a developmental WR I'm intrigued by... https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/lawrence-cager/CNfLnc5yU5

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

FLASH21 likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member