1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No major surprises, although I didn’t expect Adcock to get cut this soon. Ferrell, Castro, Dawson, Dennis, Figueroa, Billingsly, Pavlica, Reese, and Martinez were all late round picks; I personally liked what I saw from Dennis (versatile, rarely struck out). Juan Ramirez was part of the return for Verlander.

Still 252 players in the Org by my count. Will probably add 10-20 more between now and then. Lots more cuts before next opening day if they only intend to field 5 farm teams.

#261 Snake Diggit, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is there a rule a player has to be assigned to a team?

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good question. I think so, with teams able to have players listed as “reassigned” for some limited period of time. But I am far from certain on that. Regardless, it’s very possible that under the new reduced model, orgs will have a glut of players in their complexes (I.e. AZL and GCL) that are waiting on assignments; it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they did away with roster limits for those leagues.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Astros are one of the teams that has announced they will be paying their minor leaguers through the season.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. The fact that there is so much inconsistency in what each team is doing right now (as opposed to the NBA or NFL teams) is a huge reason why baseball finances are preventing a resolution.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/mlb-rumors-expanded-arizona-fall-league-florida.html

This would be awesome (although of course not as good as a normal minor league season). Makes for fun conversation: who would be on your 26 man Astros AFL (or more likely FFL) roster? Here’s mine (assumes the big league 40 man roster is off limits):

C: Korey Lee, Nathan Perry
    IF: JJ Matijevic, Jeremy Pena, Freudis Nova, Grae Kessinger, Colton Shaver, Luis Santana
    OF: Jordan Brewer, Ronnie Dawson, Ross Adolph, Bryan De La Cruz, Chas McCormick
    SP: Forrest Whitley, Brandon Bielak, Tyler Ivey, Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, Jairo Solis, Peter Solomon, Brett Conine
    RP: Shawn Dubin, Cody Deason, JA Rivera, Blair Henley, Brandon Bailey

Taxi squad: Colin Barber, Joe Perez, Ryan Gusto, Angel Macuare

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Proposal to accommodate teams’ desire to lower farm costs while continuing to promote the game thru more players having big league affiliation:

-A single 50 round draft for all amateurs (including international players). All players under age 26 as of opening day must enter the league via the draft. Players over 26 are free agents.
    -Each Org has 4 minor league rosters: AAA, AA, A, and a complex (e.g. GCL) league team. A, AA, and AAA have 35 man roster limits; the complex league roster has a 50 man limit. Roster Limits include injured, suspended, and inactive players.
    - Players drafted in the top 10 rounds are given slot bonuses (no bonus manipulation).
    -Players drafted in rounds 11-50 who choose to sign are given a maximum bonus of $125k. Teams are allowed to have those players come to their complex for a 2 week tryout after the draft prior to making offers.
    -Disbanded minor league teams could form an independent league that could have a loose affiliation with MiLb that gives them first crack at released players and players that aren’t signed after being drafted. This league would be responsible for fully covering their own costs.

The expectation would be that teams would still be drafting 50 guys, so the pipeline of guys who got a shot would still be there, but teams would really only expect to sign 20-25 each year (keep in mind, this would now include all the international guys, so the total number of players would be significantly lower).

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Simple proposal:
    Teams get a pool of money to sign amateur players. Teams sign whichever player they want that is willing to sign with them. MLB organization can have as many players/teams as they want provided every player is paid a living wage.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So basically applying the current international signing structure to all amateurs, then adding a minimum salary to active minor leaguers? Works for me but I do think there’s valid arguments that it would be really bad for competitive balance, as the very best players could demand a crummy teams entire pool with leverage of being able to sign elsewhere for a still significant sum. And since the best players usually come from the top of the pool, you’d quickly see things get very out of balance.

10. prospecthugger

You could balance it by altering pool money so that the worst teams and the smallest markets get more. I think it would make it easier to keep the league balanced because you would just need to quantify the difference. I like this idea, because it gives teams a ton of room to be creative.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pools would be based on standings like the draft. If player wants to go to a specific team based on something besides highest offer, he's going to have to take less money than the highest offer. Considering the rate of busts in the majors, most amateurs would take the most money...though it would allow a player to pick an organization he wants in issues of money being close or a strong preference for something besides money. For instance, if there was an organization that was known to treat young players poorly, a player could decide to sign elsewhere even if for less money.

It allows :
    1) more player choice
    2) helps teams that are better at identifying talent
    3) Punishes teams that are a#$holes
    4) Punishes teams that don't develop talent well.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

History shows that brand value would override #2-4. You’d see a lot of guys taking less to sign with the Dodgers and Yankees while demanding more to sign with teams like the Rays. Very likely it would damage competitive balance. An ordered draft is the only way to ensure the teams with less talent/resources are able to acquire the best amateur talent.

I could see maybe a 5 round ordered draft with set bonus amounts, then each team gets a pool they can use to sign any players not taken in the 5 rounds. That gives the vast majority of players the benefits you described, while still ensuring the top level of talent is distributed in a way the helps competition.

#272 Snake Diggit, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

History has shown that #1 overrides brand value leading to #2 through #4 occurring. Dodgers and Yankees biggest advantage in free agency is money. Plus like the draft has extra slot money for low budget teams through extra picks, the low budget teams would have more money. The teams like the Rays would be the ones that could throw money around like the Yankees and Dodgers do in free agency. All the draft does is create shenanigans and gives teams more control than they should have.

prospecthugger likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quick reaction updated post-draft prospect list:

Grade 60:
    1. RHP Forrest Whitley
    Grade 50:
    2. 3B Abraham Toro
    3. RHP Jose Urquidy
    Grade 45+:
    4. OF Colin Barber
    5. RHP Bryan Abreu
    6. C Korey Lee
    7. SS Freudis Nova
    8. SS Jeremy Pena
    9. RHP Alex Santos
    10. RHP Hunter Brown
    11. RHP Cristian Javier
    12. RHP Jairo Solis
    Grade 45:
    13. SS Grae Kessinger
    14. RHP Tyler Ivey
    15. OF Jordan Brewer
    16. RHP Ty Brown
    17. RHP Enoli Paredes
    18. RHP Jojanse Torres
    19. SS Dauri Lorenzo
    20. RHP Luis Garcia
    21. RHP Jose Alberto Rivera
    22. RHP Brandon Bielak
    23. C Garrett Stubbs
    Grade 40+:
    24. OF Ronnie Dawson
    25. 2B Luis Santana
    26. LHP Blake Taylor
    27. RHP Shawn Dubin
    28. RHP Jairo Lopez
    29. 1B Taylor Jones
    30. 1B JJ Matijevic

Other grade 40+ (no order):
    C Nathan Perry
    3B Joe Perez
    LHP Kent Emanuel
    RHP Riley Ferrell
    RHP Nivaldo Rodriguez
    RHP Brett Conine
    RHP Blair Henley
    OF Chas McCormick
    RHP Angel Macuare
    RHP Peter Solomon
    OF Bryan De La Cruz
    OF Zach Daniels
    C Juan Santander

#274 Snake Diggit, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    raining threes and Nook like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

OF James Nix was released last week. He was a late round pick last year but an overslot signee who I felt had some potential. I’ve been unable to find a complete list of transactions since the beginning of the month so not sure if Nix was the only one released since the big group was released a couple of weeks ago or if there were others.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reviewed milb.com today, and it looks like in addition to Nix, 2 others have been released that I hadn’t heard of yet. 2018 28th rounder RHP Joey Gonzalez was released along with intl signee RHP Luis De Paula.

#276 Snake Diggit, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

TINSTAPP goggles applied.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

8-13 of that list is very slim pickings. Ugh.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do not like how pitching-heavy the Astros "prospects" are at the moment with Toro the only hitting "prospect" MLB-ready. Here's to hoping for a couple guys going crazy next year.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... like Toro did last year?

Hopefully there will be at least some minor league games this year, even if it is only complex leagues.