1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I've been saying this for a while now: they don't need an ace and they don't really need a frontline starter. I think they'll beat the bushes for an under-the-radar bullpen arm or two in the Ryan Pressly mold and will kick the tires on 3-5-type starters that can eat innings the rest of this year. But they are NOT going to trade Kyle Tucker* so people need to adjust their expectations accordingly.

Playoff-wise, Verlander/Cole/Miley will be the best starting trio in any playoff series, and assuming health (physical and mental), Pressly + Osuna is as good as any backend of a bullpen.

*Now, if a sock-blowing deal presents itself, sure - they'll trade Kyle Tucker. But other than maybe Syndergaard... I'm not sure there's a player that's been mentioned that would prompt them to include Tucker.

The Beard likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

This is more of what I'd expect this week - no-frills acquisitions that address a very specific need. And he'd be a pretty good one.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Astros are open to making a rotation splash and will have additional pressure to do so if NY does. However with the Giants and Indians playing well and the Rangers opening a new ballpark; we may see a really tight trade market for starting pitching. Assuming the cost is too high I could see the Astros add a solid catcher and a right handed reliever that can pitch in higher leverage situations. I say right handed because teams like the Cubs are going to push the cost of left handed relievers too high and the Astros don’t give much weight to which arm a reliever uses if they are successful.

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

With the Rays falling out of the WC I wonder whether they become sellers and Uncle Charlie becomes available.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

I would be really surprised - shocked, really - if they chased the Yankees. Verlander & Cole are significantly better than any Yankee starter, and Miley is, too (by the numbers). What I think *could* push them into the ace chase is the likely pending departure of Cole and them wanting someone to step in next year.

But that feels like something they can do in the offseason (ala Cole).

6. Hey Now!

??? The Rays are 1 game back of the wild card and a game up on Boston. They're not dealing anyone they're going to need.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I can see why they still have hope, but a betting man would put his money on Boston eventually overtaking them.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My sense is that we mostly stand pat. Maybe a lefty arm for the pen but I'll be (very pleasantly) surprised if they make a deal for a TOR starter.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

With the Cole departure looming, I think the brass is ready to make a splash move. However, it depends on the deals out there. Dont see us giving up the kitchen sink either in prospects or payroll to get it done though. Would love to move along a bunch of AAAA guys to get something done, but their value wont bring much.

If not, some pen help becomes mandatory.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yeah I know, but they are delusional to think they can compete. If they fall to 3-4 back by the deadline it will be interesting to see what they do.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

Thor might be available.

#1052 Marteen, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Will this come back to haunt us? If it does, that means we are in the WD!

14. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Luhnow needs to trade for him, that will give you a pitcher under control + the option to sign COLE in offseason

Verlander/ Cole/ THOR for the next years would be sick

15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I am sure Hinch will get right on it

Hey Now! likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

If the Astros acquire Syndergaard, it'll almost certainly be to replace Cole. If they think they can retain Cole, I doubt they're dealing any relevant assets for what would be a third starter.

17. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

lol ooops i meant luhnow..

Astrofan59 likes this.
  18. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

While I agree, that would be one heck of a starting rotation.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is what I thought was their best course and makes even more sense now that Wheeler is hurt. They can QO Wheeler and he might accept; if he doesn’t, their rotation is at a deficit anyway, so either way trading Thor for a mlb ready pitching prospect or 2 gets them closer to where they need to be.

Mets are in a tough spot because they already have a few large contracts (Cano, Cespedes, DeGrom) but still have several holes (C, SP) and don’t have a great farm. A deep return of 3 ready big league pieces (ideally a C and 2 P) would set them up nicely next season.

Syndergaard for Bukauskas, Abreu, Stubbs, and Urquidy would be a great deal for the Mets.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

This is a tough one. Syndergaard continues to show potential, and then never live up to it. He's literally average. Yet his value is high. He'll probably strike everyone immediately as a legit number 3, including me. And with the Astros lineup, he's probably just a little safer bet than Miley. Still like Urquidy so I wouldn't give him up just yet. He has staying power. Nobody else strikes me as someone to trade for ( Minor, Stroman, ect..). But Syndergaard, there's something to work with there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.