1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Just my opinion but if the Astros want to trade for a top end starter, they have the assets to make it happen.

The disconnect between a lot of these trade publications and actual value/performance is obvious a lot of the time.

2. GottaHaveHeart

Kemp time with Astros over? Don’t the need a roster spot once CC comes back

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I have plenty of issues with this scale BS... Was Yordan Alvarez a 6-8 on the 2-8 scale before he came up and took the league by storm? No.

Tucker is just as good, if not a better "prospect" coming into the season as Alvarez. I have plenty of reasons to believe Kyle Tucker is one of the best prospects in baseball and I'm sure other teams do as well.

The Astros can get anyone they want, but it comes down to if they want to let Tucker go and if it came down to it I would if it meant keeping Whitley due to Air Yordan.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rosenthal, though he can be an idiot sometimes, usually seems to have trustworthy sources, and his information is attributed to an executive with another MLB team. While there is a lag publication lists and value, one can usually see the value in AA and AAA. While I can see Astros having talent for a rental or a guy with another year, getting more than a year and half will likely involve Astros taking on a sizeable contract or trade a player they don't want to deal. Right now, I'd put Whitley, Tucker as near untouchable, and Beer as a player they don't want to trade based on comments here and there. Not sure where Rojas is on Astros opinion. Other guys seem hurt , playing poorly, or not as solid.

Here's to hoping someone like Bukauskas, Toro or quantity brings back the big fish. I'm thinking Astros go rental or 2-year pitcher, or someone that has potential like DeSclafini as I expect Astros try hard to keep whoever they like even if I am wrong on who those players are.

#1024 Joe Joe, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed. I'm starting to switch my opinion of what I want as a fan, in regards to who we should add. Of course, it's always going to be "if the price is right" but we just need a quality arm or two to eat innings instead of the ToR pitcher I've been wanting (would LOVE this but it just doesn't seem likely given the market and teams playing hardball). This could backfire if a team like the Rays and Yankees add a ToR arm and we just stand pat though. Seems to me teams are just waiting for someone to make a move and react.

Maybe they take a chance on Wheeler (if his shoulder or what not is okay) or a DeSclafini, but having the flexibility to move Miley to the pen come postseason will be key if we don't land a lefty reliever.

HTown2017Champs and Nook like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think any of the guys who will actually be moved (like Wheeler or Stroman) will get a Top 50 type prospect (like Tucker) in return. A 3-4 prospect package from the second tier group (Bukauskas, Abreu, Fisher, Straw, Toro, Stubbs, Rojas, Ivey, Beer, Nova, etc.) should be enough to fill the need.

Guys like Tucker are typically only available in exchange for a star player with multiple (at least 2+) years of control remaining. Thor, Boyd, Ray, etc in my opinion are not that level of player. In the past, it’s guys like Sale that warrant those elite prospects.

You can look at the trades that have been made and get a good bearing on what will happen. Cole, even though he wasn’t as highly thought of as he is now, was at least as respected as Stroman, and he had 2 full years of control; he cost 2 fringe Top 100 guys and 2 3rd tier guys.

#1026 Snake Diggit, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Amshirvani, Hustle Town, Nook and 2 others like this.
  7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm in the camp that the Astros have sufficient prospects to get an ace with multiple years of control. I still lean toward the Astros signing a MoR starter and a reliever but wouldn't be surprised if they went big.

Nook likes this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

My dream scenario:
    Framber Valdez and Rogelio Armenteros for Zach Wheeler

Derek Fisher, Drew Ferguson, Cy Sneed and Max Stassi for Will Smith and Stephen Vogt.

The latter is highly unlikely as the red-hot Giants are surprisingly back in the WC hunt, but, let's face it: They won't catch the Dodgers, Thoughts on if those trades are enough? Wheeler would be an excellent candidate to extend. Elite velocity and spin rates, screams Brent Strom all around.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think in terms of value both of those deals are fair. I do not think Vogt is a fit for the Astros, and at this point I don’t think the Giants will sell.

My ideal deadline would be one blockbuster trade:

Astros get:
    SP Zack Greinke
    SP Robbie Ray
    C Alex Avila
    $40M

Diamondbacks get:
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Jose Urquidy
    OF Derek Fisher
    IF Abraham Toro
    IF Freudis Nova

That deal allows Houston to move Peacock to the bullpen now (and keep him there next season). It eliminates the need to acquire starting pitching this offseason. It adds a catcher who is an offensive upgrade from Stassi, complements Chirinos in platoon advantage, and has experience catching 3 members of the new rotation. It also fits within the likely budget for this season and next season, and improves the team dramatically both this season and next without giving up Tucker or Whitley.

For Arizona, they get half of Greinke’s contract off the books, acquire 3 high ceiling pitchers who can contribute to their staff next season (one of whom can step in immediately), an outfielder with 3+ war potential who can contribute immediately, and 2 high ceiling infield prospects who might be long term pieces.

I’m sure Arizona fans would scoff at that prospect package, but there’s easily $70M in surplus value there. Ray has 1 year remaining where he will make $10M+, so he only has a max of $20M in surplus value. Greinke is roughly worth 80% of his contract, so eating $40M gives him about $30M of surplus value. Avila’s value is not significant. So by those numbers, Arizona is winning this deal by a wide margin. But I think Houston fans would be happy with this outcome.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Nobody is trading for Wheeler with a tired arm

11. HTown2017Champs

Astros are interested, per MLB Network. And his peripherals are elite. Perfect buy-low candidate, would be open to extending him.

How is Vogt a bad fit? Former teammate and good friend of Josh Reddick. Lefty batter too. But so is Avila, and he already knows JV.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Vogt is injury prone and a bad defensive catcher; it’s debatable whether he’s better than Stassi at this point. Avila has his warts (strikes out far too much and inconsistent defensively), but he’s pretty easily superior to Vogt and Stassi. And a significant benefit is that Avila has experience catching (with success) Ray, Greinke, and Verlander.

13. Jeremy Williams

I like this deal. It maximizes our potential for a WS push this year and gives us the depth to continue in the likely absence of Cole next year. We also keep Tucker (who I think could replace Reddick as a full-time player as soon as next month), Whitley and Beer--the three players I deem untouchable.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

Does anyone think Luhnow has been praising Urquidy publically in order to promote his sale's value? He may be one of the true sought-after SP prospects we have at this point.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

I think a lot has to do with the fact that they're both from Mexico, and Luhnow is very vocal about his Mexican pride. Maybe also to try and build a fanbase in Mexico, since we played there earlier this year and Houston isn't that far?

CheezeyBoy22 and Jeremy Williams like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros and Diamondbacks have discussed various players including catcher Alex Avila.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

A upgrade over Stassi depending on who you talk too. Not a great bat but has familiarity with Verlander from his Tiger days. Can throw runners out at a way higher clip than Stassi. I approve.

18. Jeremy Williams

That's smart reasoning. Sounds very much like GM-thinking.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't play with us @Nook !

Thanks for the info

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.