1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awc713

awc713 Member

Make the Nats an offer they can’t refuse. Bring me the 3-headed JV, MadMax, Cole trio this year and let Cole walk.

Mr.Pringles and Htown Legend like this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Would love to get him but it seems incredibly unlikely given the payroll already on this team. That deal would start with Tucker and may even require Whitley which Lunhow probably wouldn't do anyways.

I doubt he gets moved but it would suck hard if he went to another AL team. I'd take Verlander over anybody but having to face Max would be brutal.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I think the Nats want Max Scherzer to start the Wild Card game for themselves. I was really hoping the Nats would fall out of wild card race.

BigM likes this.
  4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The Nats have fooled their fans and even themselves into believing they are contending each of the past 6-7 years for a championship. They need to go ahead and get what they can for Rendon and Scherzer and build around Soto, Robles, and their other young core. I do agree that the payroll situation/ prospect demand would be a little too steep unless they are a large amount of salary. Not to mention last years Harper-to-the- astros deal that fell thru that likely left a bad taste in Luhnows mouth.

everyday eddie and texans1095 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros need to rebuild as well as they fooled our fans last year. No team a game and half back is going to sell nor should they.

6. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Go all in for Stroman, he makes too much sense, and he is not just a rental.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Depends what "all-in" means. I'm not giving up the farm for Stroman. He's a solid pitcher. More of a slightly above average SP3 than a SP1 or SP2. He's also had some consistency and injury issues throughout his career...but his last name is "Stro man", so I see where you're coming from.

I think what's most likely is that Max stays put, MadBum goes to NYY, and Stroman comes to HOU (maybe for JB, Framber, Fisher + throw-in). We get some random additional arm who randomly matches up well against NYY. I think we'll hold tight on the offense. White has been passable and we really just need to hold down the fort until Correa comes back.

BigM, Snake Diggit and Houstunna like this.
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Lol what?.... the astros are a little over a year and a half removed from a World Series championship. Not many holes on the astros. The nationals have ignored their bullpen woes for years and that is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs each and every year. They are going to lose rendon for nothing the same way they lost Harper for nothing. They aren’t beating the dodgers or the cubs for that matter. I don’t care how many games back they are... you are probably right about them not selling though.

9. HTown2017Champs

LOL I hope you know how to detect sarcasm. Also, Matt Adams or Howie Kendrick are sneaky good rental bat options from Washington if they are willing to sell, in the event we do need to add depth (I'd do it, but I doubt it happens).

Watching Stroman pitch at home vs KC right now. Good trade candidate, but I still like Wheeler more (especially if we can extend him).

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Being down 8-0 and 20-0 are basically the same thing...a lose. Being a game and half back in playoffs and 4.5 games up are the same thing regarding selling....both teams are not going to sell unless something dramatically happens in next month. Teams with a realistic shot at playoffs do not sell.

They won't lose Rendon for nothing. They will have him for half a season to try to win World Series. The rental cost will likely not equal a chance at the playoffs like this year does for the Nats.

P.S. Yes, I know Astros won't sell, but once you reach a certain level of bad take...there really isn't much difference.

#530 Joe Joe, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Nats owner Lerner is super old. I don't think he has the appetite for any rebuild...hold on until there's no hope left. Makes sense to me.

12. HTown2017Champs

That would (probably) explain his veto of the Harper trade. Not sure what difference it would have made for us that postseason, but I think it would have been way more beneficial for the Nats had they not vetoes it.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stroman left today's game with a shoulder cramp.

14. HTown2017Champs

And the Blue Jays' trade chip curse continues. Always getting hurt, or slumping, or something happens during their contract year to diminish their trade value (Giles and Smoak were also hurt this year, Donaldson last year, Sanchez in a BIG TIME slump this year, Osuna's suspension, etc).

everyday eddie and Houstunna like this.
  15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Give me Mad Bum at a much lower asking price over Scherzer. This guy is nails in the postseason and I’m sure the Astros analytics team can help him regain some of his lost form ala Verlander.

16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scherzer will not be traded

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He last pitched in the WS (and LCS) in 2014.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

He pitched a complete, 4-hit shutout in the 2016 Wild Card. And he also in the NLDS.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Syndergaard (4.55 ERA) and Archer are both having down years. I don't see either NYM or PIT selling all that low on them, but I wonder what it would take to get either. Both teams are going nowhere.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

BFD. He pitched in the 2016 playoffs like someone else said. The dude is only 29 and has a lot left in the tank IMO. Give me one of the most clutch postseason pitchers of all time please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.