1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, a #3 starter with control is IMO the best move. A true ace may cost way too much $$$ and hurt our payroll, plus we already have a great #1 starter for a few more years in JV. For #2, start with LMJ, then hope Whitley and/or Martin can step up to the occasion and climb up in the rotation. Peacock has been an EXCELLENT #5 for us this year and 2017, and should repeat that next year.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2020 rotation:
    1. Verlander
    2. 1 trade acquisition or free agent signing
    3. Peacock
    4. 1 young guy (Martin, Whitley, Bukauskas, Urquidy, Bielak)
    5. 1 spot for guys who can go to pen if they don’t make it (McCullers, James, Valdez, Armenteros, Perez)

The bullpen will likely need an addition as well. 3 of those guys from #5 above, plus Pressly and Osuna still leaves 2-3 open spots.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. I just hope Luhnow lands a pitcher before the deadline. I think that's a real need and especially when you look at possible teams that they will compete against in the post season.

4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

The Mets are the team to watch... they might end up being sellers at the deadline.

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Yankees got encarnacion

6. astros123

astros123 Member

For fairly cheap as well

7. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Shoot... was really hoping we could snag him.

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Same....Maybe they go after Jose Abreu again? If the Sox were smart, trade him for assets and bring him back as a free agent.

9. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Who is he replacing in their lineup? Is one of their injuries worse than they thought?

10. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, I loved him as a Yuli replacement. Even though we have Alvarez now, he really needs a "sidekick" (as in, Vogelbach had Edwin, Bellinger has Muncy) at the cold corner. I love Yuli, but his low (for a 1B) OPS won't cut it. We'll definitely run into slugfests in the playoffs, and we failed to come up with key clutch hits at times in last year's ALCS.

Seattle to eat half the contract, per report. Not all details are out but it looks like the Yankees didn't give up much. I know next to nothing about Juan Then (the prospect given up).

11. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I'm not a huge follower of the Yankees but I'm guessing they are going to do two things:

1. Frazier is most likely going to be a chip they will use for a pitcher.
    2. From what i gathered, they really wanted an upgrade from Gardner. With Judge and Stanton manning LF and RF, their biggest hole will be DH.

I also think this is an insurance for either of their two bats not being healthy enough come playoff time.

12. HTown2017Champs

Logic says he replaces Morales (who's been bad, too). He recently got hurt too, I think.

13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I really like Yuli but I am very concern with his output at 1st. Dont get me wrong, Alvarez here is so needed but having to play White at first is a problem. Having another bat is just insurance if one of our guys doesnt come back healthy enough come playoff time.

Yankees got a steal on this one.

14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Like him a lot but I get the feel the White Sox will want a lot. They are also really starting to put it together. They might compete for a wild card spot.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I expect we are going to see more action early this year. I hope Luhnow gets started earlier. The guy deserves the benefit of the doubt for sure. Dodgers are going to be looking relief pitching, Yankees will be looking for SP, Padres will also be looking for SP, and idk what to think of Boston.

17. HTown2017Champs

As a true Astros fan I dislike the Rangers, but TBH I root for them to do well because it will force Luhnow's hand to move faster.
    EDIT: And of course I know we're not in any real danger of losing the division lead. Just saying, the Rangers (or really, anyone) keeping pace with us means we have to be alert and get active in the trade market.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

My body is so ready for an Astros/Yanks alcs matchup. We still have pitching in our side and they probably they have a better bullpen. Going to be epic.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This Encarnacion for **** to the Yankees pisses me off. Heb would have been perfect for us. The last time I was this mad at Luhnow was 2017 when I wanted him to get JD Martinez and the Dbacks stole him for nothing while we were stuck with a washed up Beltran.
    Hope this works out as well as 2017 did.
    I mean, I’m not really mad at JL and I suppose chemistry matters and Yuli is well liked and blah blah blah, but Yuli plus a prospect with no money coming back would have been a better deal for Seattle and would have killed two birds with one stone for us (upgrading from Yuli and freeing up a roster spot and cash for next year).

20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Nah, i get it. I mean tbh, it's better to have more teams that are competing for a playoff spot than not. Means the trading deadline will be active.

I'll be in Dallas next month to see the series against Houston for work. My bday is that Monday after their series. I'm going to try and see each game.

raining threes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.