1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown2017Champs

Scherzer I would love. He's one of the rare guys (along with JV) who I feel VERY confident in long-term arm health, and I've dreamt of him in Astros colors since his Tiger days. Tim Cate is a prospect I'd love from them because of his FILTHY curveball. Also, if we can try and get Doolittle too, that would kill two birds with one stone. Since we're playing Pretend GM:
    Tucker and JBB for Scherzer, Doolittle, Cate, and cash consideration. Maybe add in another expendable throw in if they demand it.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s a big ask for a guy who you’ve put Reddick comparisons on.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Meh. Whether or not Reddick’s career is his median outcome, he’s still one of the 20 best prospects in the game. That’s worth more than a #2 pitcher (who has a rep as an a-hole) with only 1 year of extra control left.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So you basically want the Nats to give him to us.

I agree they will clearly have to eat some significant salary to trade him, but he is still pitching at a legit ace level. Hell, when we traded for Verlander he was pitching nowhere near Scherzer's level and they didn't have to eat all of his salary, much less send prospects back to us.

I would get legitimately pissed if Luhnow called me with that offer.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You’re right, it’s too much. But It’s just a matter of surplus value. Tucker and Alvarez have $50-60M in surplus value each. Scherzer is owed $35M/yr thru 2021. Assuming he’s expected to maintain his dominant performance thru the end of his contract, he’s worth around $50M/yr. So for Scherzer to be worth Tucker or Alvarez, the Nats would have to eat about $30M.

As much as I would love having Scherzer to go along with Cole and Verlander, I don’t think he’s a realistic target for the Astros. Not only is it questionable if he will even be available, I don’t think Houston can afford to take on even 60% of his salary. Add to that the fact that Luhnow is loathe to give up elite prospects and the Nats will likely have plenty of suitors.

Bumgarner, Stroman, and Synergaard are probably more likely targets, and none of them will require giving up Alvarez or Tucker.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is why Top 25 position prospects are rarely traded. They are very valuable, but that $50-60M could turn in to $0 or $150M quickly.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I agree on his worth. That’s why I said Kluber not Tyler (1.5 years too short). Saying Scherzer and Washington paying all his salary is extreme the other way. I’d think Greinke with the Dbacks eating 60% or so would be a more realistic starting place. Or maybe Thor straight up?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are 18 teams with a current <25% chance of making the playoffs this season. Scanning those rosters, here are the tiers of pitchers who are likely to be available that might make sense for Houston:

Borderline ToR SP:
    Stroman
    Lynn
    Minor
    Syndergaard
    Wheeler
    Sonny Gray
    Greinke
    Ray
    Bumgarner

MoR SP with upside:
    Heaney
    Matz
    Jon Gray
    Bundy
    Duffy
    Leake
    Archer
    Samardzija

Relievers with closing experience:
    Givens
    Colome
    Greene
    Diekman
    Boxberger
    Hendriks
    Soria
    Leclerc
    Diaz
    Iglesias
    Vasquez
    Kela
    Davis
    Holland
    Smith
    Melancon
    Watson
    Dyson

Upside relievers:
    Jimenez
    Kennedy
    Peralta
    Petit
    Kelley
    Gsellman
    Lugo
    Garrett
    Liriano
    Bradley
    Bettis

One look at the reliever market tells me it’ll be a buyers’ market, and that Houston should be able to add a good reliever for a relatively low cost.

The starting pitching market won’t be as cheap, unless rebuilding teams add to the supply by making young controllable players available (like Boyd and Giolito). But I still think Luhnow will be able to make a decent deal; it just might not be a Verlander/Cole type of pitcher unless it’s Bumgarner or Greinke. I will say Heaney, Matz, and Ray are all very interesting to me. It’s a shame Taillon is hurt; he seems like he would have been the perfect target.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I also think Houston will add a catcher. Here are the likely options:

James McCann
    Narvaez
    Lucroy
    Phegley
    Avila
    Ramos
    Iannetta
    Barnhart
    Maldonado
    Wieters
    Wolters
    Diaz
    Cervelli
    Castillo

whiskeyred and Nook like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would go all in for Scherzer.

With Cole and Miley hitting free agency our rotation looks thin heading into next year with Verlander, an innings limited McCullers, Peacock, Framber/James/Whitley/Martin/Urquidy.

I would be willing to give up a ton to get Scherzer because we have to get his salary down as well which means an overpay in terms of prospect value.

Tucker, Martin, Toro, Abreu, and Joe Smith

for
    Scherzer, Doolittle, and 45 million

Verlander
    Scherzer
    Cole
    Miley
    Peacock

Osuna
    Pressly
    Doolittle
    Harris
    Rondon
    McHugh
    James
    Devenski

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That would be a massive overpay. The prospect package has $135M in surplus value ($60M for Tucker, $40M for Martin, $20M each for Toro and Abreu, -$5M for Smith). In exchange you get Scherzer, who has about $35M in surplus value, plus Doolittle, who has about $15M in surplus value, and $45M, for a total of $95M. Take out Martin and it’d be a pretty fair deal. And if Scherzer was available, I would like that deal for both sides, except the Nats have a full outfield.

My current hypothetical for Scherzer:

Nats get:
    RHP Forrest Whitley
    RHP JB Bukauskas

Astros get:
    SP Max Scherzer
    $40M

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm willing to overpay.

No way a pitcher that could barely get an out in AAA and is back in West Palm Beach "strengthening" his shoulder, and another guy with an ERA over 6 in AA gets you Scherzer.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If that’s really how you think organizations would value or describe Whitley and Bukauskas, then you don’t know how pitching prospects are evaluated or valued. That said, I agree Whitley being in EST probably makes it less likely he is traded. But Scherzer being traded is also very unlikely.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Show me the trade in the history of MLB where an injured prospect with an ERA over 12 in AAA landed one of the top 2-3 pitchers in baseball.

If Whitely comes back and dominates for a month.. then yea it would be possible.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What a ridiculous request. There are probably less than 10 trades in the last 30 years involving “one of the top 2-3 pitchers in baseball”.

So you think Tucker is a good fit? Show me in the history of mlb where a corner outfielder who posted a .599 OpS in April was traded for one of the top 2-3 pitchers in baseball.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Comparing a guy that got off to a slow start and is now raking with 21 HRs and a .956 OPS versus a pitcher that is back at the Spring Training facility with fatigue/weakness in his pitching shoulder after getting shelled over and over again.....

Do you think the GM of the Nats could really sell the idea of trading Scherzer to his owner for someone in Whitley's current situation? C'mon. Tucker makes sense for the Nats. Eaton has 2 options years left after this season. They could trade him at the deadline or let him walk in the offseason and have an outfield of Soto, Robles, and Tucker to build around.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker, Whitley, and/or Alvarez are not being traded before the trade deadline. There is no moral high ground in the this guy who's not being traded is more likely to be traded that that guy who isn't being traded.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I'd be all in for trading for Scherzer as long as the Nats pick up the Deferred Salary on his contract.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I'm not sure the Astros attempt a trade for a ToR SP. Our top prospects are likely off-limits.

As Snake put it, the market for RP seems much more appealing. If we can upgrade Devo, I'll be happy.

20. HTown2017Champs

Most likely, I see us trading for a #3 or 4 starter with control, a top-end reliever, and maybe a backup catcher (to give Chirinos rest). An extra veteran bat to fortify our bench and help us in slugfests (and in platoons) would be nice, but probably a luxury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.