1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

That 96 wRC+ also comes with a .239 BABIP

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t think that’s the graphic you saw the other day (at least if it was on TV). The graphic they showed on tv was the slash line of the Astros 9th hitters vs the average cleanup hitter in Major League Baseball. The Astros 9 hitter was better.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't see Luhnow trading Reddick or Yuli this season. If anything, we'll acquire someone and force Yuli and Diaz to duke out the super utility role, or perhaps even push Reddick into a 4th OF situation (unlikely IMO). But I don't see either player going anywhere.

Neither will bring in a legit major league contributor due to their contracts, and that's what we need. I just don't see us cutting either loose for minor leaguers. They're not that bad that we just need to get them off the books. With where we are, I don't see Luhnow moving either piece. We'll likely move younger pieces for someone who pushes both for playing time, if anything. Who knows what the FO has up their sleeve. The idea of Scherzer is pretty intoxicating. Regardless, we're in a great position moving forward.

If we get into a roster-crunch type situation, I could see our AAAA core (Kemp, White, Fisher, etc.) potentially moved to teams like BAL, KC, DET, etc for pennies on the dollar. Cost of doing business, I suppose.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Slightly below average. Considering Kemp usually plays in the field, Kemp's defense should be taken into account. It's been pretty good this year. I expect his defense won't continue to be good, but expect he will hit better.

5. Jeremy Williams

Well, that's easy. You only have 12 position player listed. 2 of out the 3 can be accommodated easily at full strength. DFA White, trade Kemp, and let Straw//Tucker battle it out for the 2nd spot.

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But this all dependent on if everyone comes back and is healthy. Alvarez had a great first game and I'm pretty pumped about what the future has instore for him. But the reality is there is no guarantee our core will be healthy come playoff time. I'm not suggesting we should trade all our chips but if you can grab a bat like Encarnacion for cheap, you have to take a look at it. Yuli is very solid at first base on defense but is struggling hitting the ball.

If we are to make the world series, our offense will have to be next level and players need to healthy.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you my friend.

Nook likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They want to keep 13 pitchers and think they are right since the bullpen has shown some signs of tiring already. They need to save their core relievers for later in the season and playoffs.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Bring this man home! Love the callout. I don’t even know what it’s referencing but I love it.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Jeremy Williams

I don't see any demanding reason to keep 13 pitchers unless we are not at full health.

11. HTown2017Champs

He was referring to a bench-clearing fight that happened after Musgrove (probably unintentionally) hit Donaldson with a pitch. See Former Astros Tracking Thread (bc Musgrove used to play for us) for more.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm totally fine with one of Alvarez or Tucker being on another team come July 31st if it gets us a top of the rotation starter with multiple years of control.

raining threes likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Maybe Tucker+extras to the Indians for a Bauer and Hand package? That's a thought that's been crossing my mind for a few days. As long as Bauer doesn't blow up the clubhouse. Also, I may want to move sooner rather than later to avoid being beat out by other teams. I can see the Mall Cops possibly making a move as they're surprisingly in the WC hunt. Don't want to make our division any harder than it has to be.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If I’m sending Tucker to Cleveland (and I’m not opposed) it’s for a healthy Kluber

Nook likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I was thinking more like using Tucker plus some other prospects to get Washington or Arizona to pay down the salaries of Scherzer or Greinke. I would go after Syndergaard if Scherzer or Greinke aren't possible. He's not having a great year, but I think with the Astros and Strom making some tweeks he is Gerit Cole 2.0.

I like the idea of Bauer and Hand but that doesn't happen very often. Teams tend to try and get as much as they can for each player and you don't see those kinds of package deals that often anymore. I doubt we make the kind of offer needed to get both guys.

16. Jeremy Williams

I don't see Wash moving Scherzer or the Mets moving Noah. Honestly, I think getting creative with a reliever would be more to our liking than trading mega pieces for 2-3 years of a top-paid SP.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

If it weren't for the fact that Trevor Bauer is Trevor Bauer, he would be the perfect Houston Astro.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

One more year of club control for Tyler, 3 or 4 for Kluber.

19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Oh I agree, I'd rather have a healthy Kluber. I'm just saying Bauer with his analytical approach to pitching would be great on this team. Too bad he's such a flake.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Y’all are wanting Luhnow to get ripped off if you want him to trade Tucker or Alvarez for Bauer. Here’s the list of pitchers I would be cool with trading Tucker or Alvarez for:

Scherzer (Nats cover 100% of his salary and throw in one of their best prospects)
    Giolito
    Snell
    Sale (Sox throw in $40M)
    DeGrom (Mets throw in $50M)
    Beuhler
    Taillon (Pirates throw in a good prospect)

everyday eddie and AznH-TownFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.