1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 25, 2019.

?

Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

8.9%
  2. Warriors in 5

28.3%
  3. Warriors in 6

25.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

3.3%
  5. Raptors in 7

24.4%
  6. Raptors in 6

8.3%
  7. Raptors in 5

0.6%
  8. Raptors in 4

0.6%
  1. juanm34

juanm34 Member

It’s looking like stephanie Curry’s going to need more all-star teammates next season.

Jontro and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

J.R. likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1903 J.R., Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  4. biina

biina Member

Pray tell which major injuries that Kawhi and/or Lowry are playing through?

It quite funny that you would even suggest that Kawhi was playing thorugh any significant injury. After all, even if everyone else has forgotten, I doubt the guys in San Antonio have forgotten that Kawhi's refusal to play even after being cleared by team doctors is a big part of why he forced his way out of San Antonio. To try and paint Kawhi as some tough guy that plays through serious injuries is just hilarious.

On the other hand, we saw first hand the injuries to Klay and Looney. We saw Klay willing to pay with the injury but was held out by the team, and Looney who was initially ruled out of Finals coming back to play with the fracture and pain. But injuries are a part of the game, of which GS have also benefited from in the past (Kyrie, Love, Kawhi, CP3 etc) and Raptors have every right to take advantage of the situation. That was never in contention.

My objection is to your claim that Raptors have somehow figured out something about the warriors - there is simply no evidence to support that assertion. The last two games that Raptors won, the injuries to GS have played a more significant role than any scheme you may want to credit. In the first two games, when there were no inuuries to either side, and Raptors playing at home, the series was 1-1. Those are the facts.

By all elements, almost any quality team (e.g. Lebron Cavs, Rockets, and Bucks) would most likely have won the last two games against GS, no one else has just ever been opportune to do so. There is no special scheme needed when your opposition has lost key players in the middle of a series.

BTW kudos for digging up so many of my post. Even I couldnt dedicate so juch time to digging up my own past.

5. biina

biina Member

Games have to be taken in context.

Raptors won game 3 against a depleted warriors, and Game 4 was a quick turn around which more often than not favors the healthier team. Remaining schedule is better spaced and unless GS have more injuries or relapses, Raptor are unlikely to face a depleted or fatigued GS again.

If there is a Game 6 at the Oracle, it would mean that GS has won Game 5 and have momentum back (win Game 6 at home and force Game 7) while the Raptors now have to deal with the pressure of closing out GS on the road after failing to do so at home. So far Raptors have not faced such a task and there is nothing to suggest they can do it.

As the Rockets found out earlier this season, it is one thing to be the underdog playing with nothing to lose and another to deal with the pressure of expectation when everyone expects you to win.

Deckard likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said, as was your earlier post. We keep "learning" the same lessons over and over, and those "lessons" don't seem to take. The Raptors, every one of them, need to play like their lives depend on it. The series certainly might.

saleem likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chill. Someone mentioned about whether the Warriors would go to the White House this time. I thought the Raptors situation would be more ironically interesting. And someone else argued that rooting for a Canadian team was wrong. I was making fun at those who want to politicize basketball.

Little Bit likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The United States are about to lose NBA title for the first time ever. Thanks, Trump!

Tariff on Canada!

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Warriors haven’t shown that they can beat Kawhi with help in the postseason. Last time they were getting dusted until they injured him, and he’s looked like the leagues best player this postseason. I have no idea who would be up if everyone were healthy, including Kawhi who has been playing on one leg most of the series. But we took GS to 7 and didn’t have the amount of talent they had, and Harden wasn’t playing at Kawhi’s level. Can’t just assume Toronto would lose.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, you’re a dumbass who ‘thinks’ they are rooting for American interests. Big difference.

You can’t even comprehend that geography drastically changes over time. I’m trying to make it easy, but even the easiest explanation is too complex for you.

You’re the kind of person that didn’t want Texas to join the union. You’re the exact person that 99ers need to oppose.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He said core.

Durant left out once again.

14. Carl Herrera

Are the Warriors watching the Raptors? They better be!

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

damn, u ain’t gotta expose his ass like that :D

JR came through with that ether

J.R. likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

One sec, let me check something real quick...brb.....
    .....Nope. Toronto is still not In the USA.

Just like it wasnt in USA yesterday or the day before or the week before that.

As a proud American I am under no obligation to root for a foreign team like the Toronto Raptors.

They [Canadians] may take our American values, but they will never take our FREEDOM!

Yet another FAIL for you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Carl Herrera

The Rockets Legend is now a Canada Icon!

18. biina

biina Member

But we have seen other teams (i.e. Clippers and OKC) kick a healthy Kawhi out of the playoffs in the past, and neither of those teams were championship caliber (that year, Clippers lost to Rockets in the semis, and OKC lost to pre-durant GS).

Also, I dont buy the playing on one-leg bit (the most I have heard is that he has tendinitis). He might not be 100% but doubt he has an injury that would keep an average player out at this stage of the season. Kawhi left Spurs cos he wouldnt play even after being cleared by team doctors and I just dont believe he has suddenly become the type of player willing to play through a significant injury.

While Kawhi and Toronto are having a great run this season, I think many are exaggerating his achievements.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Run it back - what could go wrong?

20. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

The problem with their roster is lack of good role players, not lack of all stars. Toronto's got depth with athleticism and shooting all over the lineup, and that's something GS just can't match.

And that Igoudala and Draymond lost their three point shots over the last couple of seasons. Without any real threat from them, GS can’t make Toronto pay for the extra defensive attention given to the stars.

#1920 PlayBall, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019