1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 25, 2019.

?

Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

8.9%
  2. Warriors in 5

28.3%
  3. Warriors in 6

25.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

3.3%
  5. Raptors in 7

24.4%
  6. Raptors in 6

8.3%
  7. Raptors in 5

0.6%
  8. Raptors in 4

0.6%
  1. MD_in_Training

Badge necessarily means free ticket? If that were true then I stand corrected. However I highly doubt that if you own $1000 of Warriors stock, you would get handed free tickets. If he got free tickets then I would have to think that his stake in the team is rather substantial.

2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Players do...but fans do not, and owners certainly should not. If Lowry was not so level-headed, this absolutely could have escalated into something truly ugly and endangered all the other fans sitting in the area, all instigated by an owner sitting two seats over from where Lowry was. Owner deserves to be forced to sell his share in the team, step down from any official position he has with the organization, and be banned from attending NBA games for the foreseeable future.

Patience and YOLO like this.
  3. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

without durant, the GSW are toast, so glad kama finally hit these dubs, can't be the more satisfying than this these GSW lose because of injures, hope they never recover from this and klay leaves them, let that p***y kd stay

4. biina

biina Member

You know what they say about 'counting chickens before they hatch'?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If we want to put in place some sort of long lasting punishment for him, I think a fairer and more proportionate punishment would be that he's not allowed to sit near the court any more.

6. yoeddy

Glad you are not in a position of decision-making on this...

Patience and Reeko like this.
  7. MD_in_Training

If the nba wants to enact a strict no touch rule for fans enforced by lifetime ban then that’s their prerogative.

But interpretation of the “severity” of this incident is entirely subjective. On the spectrum of offenses one human can commit onto another, this is on the far low end for me.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You're advocating a life time ban from the NBA for a single incident of a fan lightly shoving a player who hurled himself into fans seated right next to him without (frankly) much regard for their safety. Let's be clear about this.

The physical force of Lowry jumping into those seated fans exceeds that little push he received in the shoulder from that guy. I'm a big Kyle Lowry fan, and what that guy who shoved him did was stupid and deserves punishment. BUT ... let's not act like its the crime of the century as far as fan behavior at sporting events go.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

So not specifically the scoring. Got it.

10. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Agree that the shove itself wasn't really violent at all. But you keep calling Stevens a fan - he's a part owner. The expectation of conduct from an owner is MUCH higher than for a typical fan.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It is lighter than a "bro" type shove. If he was smiling and joking with a friend, that shove would have looked like a mark of friendship.

I mean, I'm sure the guy is a jerk, and apparently he mouthed off a good bit too. I'm happy with however the Warriors want to punish themselves, believe me. But a lifetime ban for that would strike me as a little weird, absent some clearly stated rule like you suggest.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

foolish owner deserves whatever he gets

Who does he think he is? When will people learn to keep their hands to themselves and stfu? If Lowry pushed him back then there would’ve been real problems. U don’t know how someone will react. Keep your hands to yourself. U decided to be a fool, and now look, you’ve got all this unwanted negative attention and won’t even be able to attend games the 1st year at their new arena.

Patience and YOLO like this.
  13. yoeddy

Let's be very clear about this: I'm advocating a ban for the foreseeable future for an owner shoving an opposing player during a globally-televised NBA Finals game for no good reason, risking escalation and endangering the safety of fans, players and others in the immediate vicinity and potentially impacting the outcome of the game (eg. if Lowry retaliates, he likely sees a suspension). This is not just some fan...this is a team owner.

Yes, Kyle Lowry hurled himself into the fans...he did this as a very natural part of his job, which is to play basketball. There was no intention to harm the fans, but rather simply, he was trying to keep the ball in-bounds and maintain his team's possession of the basketball. THIS IS HIS JOB. For the owner, shoving an opposing player is like THE OPPOSITE OF HIS JOB. He shoved Lowry unprovoked (unless you consider playing a great game against the owner's team some form of provocation), where physical interaction with a player (or anyone else, for that matter) is against league rules, arena rules, and general human decency rules.

Agree that this is not "the crime of the century"...but being banned from attending NBA games for the foreseeable future is not "the punishment of the century" either. He is not being sent to jail or being deported from the country. He is being banned from attending games in a league that he was supposed to be a positive representative for and failed.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

stop calling that dude a fan, he’s a minority owner...he’s not some random

he’s representing their organization, and not only can he not keep his hands to himself, he’s also hurling obscenities at Lowry like some clown...and it’s only because he feels entitled and protected since players can’t retaliate

15. biina

biina Member

That he is a minority owner should have no bearing on this, given that court side seating is not limited to owners or any other predefined category.

Following your logic to the extreme, Drake should also get a lifetime ban for all his antics since he has made unwarranted physical contact with players and he is an official ambassador of a team

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

please show everyone where drake pushes a player :rolleyes:

Lovemachine2000 and Reeko like this.
  17. MD_in_Training

Lol at CF arguing over a non issue at a game that doesn’t even involve us. Don’t we have more important things to worry about, like how we are going to blow it up and rebuild this failure of a team?

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Im watching first take and yes, that girl is super fine. However, who are the idiots crowding that room? Why was snoop dog talking? Who is the other rapper talking? Why is Max Kellerman wearing sunglasses inside?

This show is trash

19. yoeddy

That he is a minority owner should have a huge bearing on this. As an owner, minority or not, he is a representative of the organization and the league. He should be held to a much higher standard.

As far as I know, Drake has not made physical contact with players other than high fives or fist-bumps. He has given Coach Nurse a shoulder massage, but I don't see that as anything near the same.

And I have thought more about the length of the ban. I have never said "lifetime"...I have said "foreseeable future". After thinking more about this, I think the earliest time Stevens should be allowed back would be the next time the Warriors miss the playoffs.

Reeko likes this.
  20. yoeddy

You can talk about that in GARM. This is NBA Dish, where it's conversation about other stuff going on in the league.

Reeko likes this.