1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Hong Kong Protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Consideration for citizenship is not the same thing as granting citizenship. I'll believe it when it happens unconditionally. The UK didn't want HK people as their citizens before 1997, and aside from a political move against China, I don't see why the UK would want them now especially in a post-Brexit era which was based partially on anti-immigration. The UK should have done the right thing before the handover and offered everyone citizenship if they wanted it instead of offering a 2nd class citizen BNO passport.

Also BNO holders were all born before 1997 and many of the older generation is supportive of the government or at least supportive enough to not leave. If you look at the most fervent protesters and those who probably would be most willing to leave HK, they are generally under 23 and would not have a BNO so offering citizenship to BNO holders wouldn't reach those who would want it most.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@freemaniam

still thinking about Hong Kong protesters

morey was right

3. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

As a Hong Konger, I'm so disgusted by LeBron and Tilman!

What the actual ****?! Both of them shut Morey up back then and now speaking up when things doesn't hit their income.

So damn disgusting...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

All the police brutality in the US just reminded me when what happened in HK in the past year. All familiar and disgusting scenes

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Don’t fall for it man. In HK the brutality is real that was ordered by WinnieTheFlu to destroy these freedom seeking HK people. In the US, we have a coordinated effort trying to paint the police as evil and take them down using minority and brainwashed youths to do the dirty work. The main effort of this coordinated attack is to bring down Trump. They must bring him down at all cost, they have tried everything already and you can see their desperation trying to attempt this latest coup. WinnieTheFlu is behind the scenes smiling and he approves the chaos in our streets.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

LeBron James would support China over Hong Kong because
    he cares more about Money than Hong Kong

This is why Daryl Morey is a better human, he's more educated and cares about the world itself
    not just money and politically correctness so that he can stay super rich.

I've been to Hong Kong, I support you guys too.

7. sw847

sw847 Member

Hey quick question guys, before 97, how many of u were fighting for freedom in hongkong, just wondering, considering hongkong people never really had the right to vote, govern or right to express themselves (mass protests were never allowed in hk). Just wondering. I am all for freedom and all. I am just getting a feeling that it seems that the west are really “caring” for hk cause it’s vs China. Before that nobody cared, they were just like me, a yellow skinned citizen of the west, a second class citizen

8. sw847

sw847 Member

I am just wondering why it is that it’s predominately young people protesting? Majority of which never tasted the “benefits” of uk rule?

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you asking for in general or just for HK? Many posters aren't that old or were even born after 1997. For the record I supported the Pro-Democracy movement in Tiananmen.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Here is an experiment to see if productive dialogue is possible. I will attempt to transmogrify this statement by the general thade into productive and potentially sanguine points for discussion. Maybe one of you can respond to this transmogrification and we can have a fictional productive discussion. If so, maybe we can do this with Mojo, the large Texan, Dachuda, if he is still here.

Dear sir from HK. Do not fall for it. The policy brutality ordered by the Chinese government was real. In contrast, while some of the incidents of police brutality are real and understandably erode public trust in law enforcement, particularly in certain communities like the Black community, it is my view that the police largely do a good job and the discussion about the brutality, while understandable, is overblown. While it is impossible to discern intent, as I cannot read minds, I cannot help but feel that some of the people who are speaking out agAinst police brutality may be more interested in using it as a tool to unfairly attack the current President. It is just my opinion, but it seems like this is one of several attempts to attack the president. I hope my comments are helpful to explain my view and I respect that others might feel differently. Oh and I think a or the divine being has a plan for the president. Thank you for your consideration of my viewpoints.

11. sw847

sw847 Member

Hey good for you man. My parents left China during the tiananmen Years, a direct result of the events in fact. Out of curiosity, for a country of 1.4 billion people, u think democracy would of done a better job for the country?

12. sw847

sw847 Member

Growing up in nz, I was taught in school communism=evil. But after working in China u can not believe how the vast majority of people here support the government. A lot of friends from nz call it brain washing, I call realism, cause most families has come from starving to now owning cars and houses. So I am not sure if communism is evil or not, but it has provided stability to the country. I don’t think a lot of the westerners really understand the needs of the Chinese people. If u sir come to China and ask random people of their thoughts, I can guarantee the majority are supportive of the current government. I don’t think the Chinese society is ready for democracy as of yet. Most fear instability. U need to understand that the Chinese people have suffered enormously at the hands of the west, most are not really willing to change atm. Maybe in the future it’s a different story

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been to the PRC a lot and agree that the CCP has done a very good job improving the quality of life from what it was in the 80's. I also agree that most people support the government but I don't think it's quite as you are attributing. There are protests on the local scale and many online that the PRC has been trying to squash. The Winnie the Pooh meme didn't start outside of the PRC but from Chinese posters in the PRC. There has been a lot of negativity towards both the Wuhan local government and the CCP over coronavirus. The death of Li Wenliang was a very big blow to the prestige of the CCP and they had to apologize to his family. Something that is very very rare for the CCP.

As far as can democracy work for the PRC. I don't think direct democracy would work and no country in the world has a true direct democracy. My own view is a more federal system with decentralized power, local democracy, and a rule of law would greatly benefit the PRC. The PRC is too big of a country for central government. The stifling of dissent will catch up to the as most of generation that remembers what the country was like before Deng is dying. Also faith in PRC markets will be greatly enhanced. Look at the people of HK. They've grown up with relative prosperity so the argument that we've improved your standard of living doesn't apply. That is why they are more concerned about freedom and rights. The same happened with SK and Taiwan who all transitioned from authoritarian single party states to functioning multiparty democracy. I think the PRC can do they same thing.

sw847 likes this.
  14. generalthade_03

Not sure if you want a productive dialogue, I’ll be more than happy to engage with you, but if your objective is to be clever and just ridiculing then I’ll pass.
    BTW- I have been to 3 riots in my lifetime and they changed your perspective a whole lot. Wonder how many have you been to, not that it makes your opinion any less valid?

#714 generalthade_03, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

did I do a good job of articulating your position in a calm and non-argumentative way?

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

You should ask people in China
    There’s 1.4 billion of them. There’s no way everyone has the same opinion. But I seriously doubt the government will let them mass protest.

population control is important. However it’s dangerous to have one party or person control that many people’s rights.

have you been to Hong Kong ?

AleksandarN likes this.
  17. generalthade_03

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/asia/chinese-soccer-star-intl-hnk/index.html
    I
    guarantee you guys this former Chinese soccer star is a fan of Morey. What say you little pinks and 50 cent army? What should you do to traitors like this guy, who dared to speak out against WinnieTheFlu? What part of his organs must be harvested first? I would go for the lungs, they fetch around130k.

tinman likes this.
  18. WNBA

WNBA Member

China is in their own version of democracy right now. China is doing very well as result shows. Democracy is great and it is proven.

It is way different than the two-party fake democracy here in the US. If you want to know the culture revolution of China in 1960s, US is in that stage NOW. Trump is not even faking it anymore. It is a straight dictatorship. and look at the free fall of the US

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks like the antifa liberal got his fancy word book out to impress the ChiCom bastards.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

@CometsWin
    What is fake an account named after the WNBA who doesn’t participate in the WNBA thread in the Dish

I smell a fake fan

AleksandarN likes this.