1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I’m tossing jump balls on 3rd down to Kevin Johnson and Kris Boyd all day long. Chances of a PI are pretty damn good.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let's get Tyree Jackson in the fifth or sixth as our backup. I've watched him a lot this year. Great arm, tall kid, very mobile. He'd fit what we want to a tee.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

So...? You're going to bench or cut Fuller? With all the needs on this team, you cant justify using high draft picks on an insurance WR. You go get one in the 5th after you've gotten your lineman and defensive back. If there is an absolute steal that you cant resist, maybe in the 3rd.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know what you do with Fuller, but the offense is absolutely predicated on him staying healthy. It turns into a completely different offense when he's out.

Each of the last two years, I've been utterly disappointed when he's gone down and the offense has slowed to a halt. That's got to be fixed, whether through the draft, band aids, trades, or glue.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I get that he needs to stay healthy and and play a full season and post season but this year was a fluke. He was playing at a star level before he went down. Him and Hopkins where putting up similar stats.

He came in this year bigger stronger and faster.

If it wasn’t for those damn grass pallets!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. gucci888

Wonder if he’ll last that long. Super intriguing QB prospect.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

He will not last that long. I'll be surprised if he isn't a 2-3 pick. The dude is the real deal. Just not ready to start Day one.

8. gucci888

Saturday certainly helped...

4. Charles Omenihu, EDGE, Texas

As good as Omenihu was this week in practice, he was even better in the game. The only pass rusher to corner consistently all game, Omenihu racked up 1v1 wins as a pass rusher, flying around the corner for a couple of big pressures, one of which led to an interception after Tyree Jackson wriggled free of his sack. Omenihu finished with a sack, a tackle-for-loss and several pressures while easily looking like the best edge defender in the game.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If Greedy Williams somehow slips to 15 I would really look into trading up for him at that point.

tmacfor35 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lance Z mock

23. Houston - Greg Little, OT, Mississippi

The Texans are desperate for a left tackle and a starting cornerback, but it's easier to find cornerbacks outside the first round than it is to find starting left tackles.

SI mock

23. Houston Texans: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

Deshaun Watson needs better protection—the Texans offensive line gave up a league-high 62 sacks in 2018—so Houston will look to improve the offensive line here with Taylor, who is a raw prospect but has all the right tools to be successful.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of posters aren't high on Greg Little like I am. I believe he's the best OT in the draft. If we get him, he's here for the next 10-12 years.

I'd rather we shore up the OLine then get CBs with our 2 second round picks. Would be even better if we got Trent Brown in free agency. Greedy is going to be really good and right away though. I definitely see why you would want him.

tierre_brown and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. raining threes

I hope they sign Brown in FA and draft Little.

The OT position would be solved for the next decade.

If you want Williams trade the two 2's or a 2/3 and a 2020 pick and then you can draft both Little and Williams.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Would anyone be opposed to getting Deionte Thompson with our first pick? I wouldn't. Saw a mock with him falling to our range.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think the position of the first pick depends on who they sign in FA. If they don't snag a top OL then it's OL. If they sign Trent Brown then you might look BPA regardless of position, though it would probably still be OL or CB.

gucci888 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can he play corner as well?

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Everybody keeps mentioning Trent brown and I hope we can sign him I just don’t see him wanting to leave New England and New England letting him leave.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If we somehow signed Trent Brown, I'd still want the Texans to get Greg Little. Unless, Greedy Williams is there. But I'd much rather have Trent Brown & Greg Little.

Second round should be Trayvon Mullen, Kris Boyd or Julien Love. Mullen probably goes late first or early second though. But we should target two of these three.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

From Texas and we just seen them not pay a OT last year. That's MY reasoning. I don't speak for everyone.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that Alabama T Jonah Williams is "soft."
    The full quote: "He’s soft," he said. "He has good feet but he gets pushed. He has no strength or power." Williams is considered by many to be the best offensive lineman in this class, but it's not unanimous. This scout doesn't consider him a first-round pick (obviously), and others like Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline have raise their reservations as well. Another scout tells McGinn that Williams is "Technically sound. Good hand placement. Very consistent." It's going to be very interesting to see where Williams ranks after the combine.

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that he believes that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is better than Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield.
    As you likely know, Murray was the backup to Mayfield in 2017 while Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy; and a year later, Murray won the Heisman. Where he's going in the draft, however, is widely up for debate, but one scout is pretty sold. "He’s a better player than Mayfield," the scout said. "Is he a better pro prospect? Mayfield (6-0 ½, 215, 4.84) was taller. I think Murray has a stronger arm. He’s Doug Flutie with all the better skills." Obviously, that's high praise, but because of the size concerns -- and some worries potentially about his baseball contract -- it's doubtful at this point that he's a serious contender for the first pick. A lot can change in three months.

20. raining threes

If Williams falls to 23 he's the pick.

Technically sound, good hand placement, very consistent. Needs an NFL Strength and Conditioning program. He's got the work ethic. Give me that guy.

Remember the guy Williams replaced? They said he couldn't play LT in the NFL and he ended up being outstanding his rookie season. Cam Robinson.