1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019 Draft/1-23] Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do you like the selection of Tytus Howard?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2019.
  1. YES

54.6%
  2. NO

45.4%
  1. conquistador#11

I've been b****in about this "versatility"since 2014, happy to see others have grown tired of it. It's not how you get the line to play as one. It works for Ne due to the goat. Here's hoping Watson can take that next step to make pass protection obsolete and rid the ball in .00000001 seconds. I remember Myers saying how complicated playing in this Brady "system " was as a linemen. And for Brooks, he learned to hate football. Allen played rg instead of what he excelled in KC. Davenport was put at right tackle rhat was a mess.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. HstnSprtsFan101

My face hit the table after seeing this pick. I don’t dwell on draft picks too long though, he’s a Texan now and I sure hope he was the right pick. All we can do is wait & see. It does feel like a panick pick after Dillard got stolen away from us. Prepared for the worst, wishing for the best.. A lot of talent left on the board!

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just came home frim watching Endgame and I'm not sure if that was more of a letdown than this pick.

ric_flair likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I literally said this exactly 5 min ago.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The large upside is nice and all but there is a large issue here. Howard is not ready right now - Need immediate contributors and he isn't strong enough yet to handle NFL EDGEs. Our present tackle situation is still an unmitigated disaster,

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

F'in Eagles!!!!!

8. HTM

HTM Member

Na Gruden does dumb sh*t like that too.

9. alethios

alethios Member

So we're not getting Greedy Williams?

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I was getting all stoked hearing the one guy pump up Howard until at the end he also said Davenport was a great pick last year too ...ulp!

11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think the video would have been better if the background song was "Yakey-Sax"!

12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I'm just wondering how prepared Gaine was for the possibility of getting jumped.
    Did he have a team lined up beforehand below us that may have wanted to trade up in the 1st so we could drop down if this happened?
    And did he talk to a team in FRONT of us a couple of spots about us trading up in case he felt we might get jumped?

You can't do all this when you're on the clock, it needs to be done prior.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Correct. At that point you call BAL and ask them to call you before doing anything. PHI was a clear threat.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yea that's the thing.... watching for a couple of hours and everything went oddly our way ( Carolina does not pick Dillard ?").... three picks away and two top OT's still on the board... we are one pick away from Dillard, THE guy and Philly comes in and cherry picks him... and for what? Baltimore took the 25th, 127th (fourth round) and 197th (sixth round) picks for him.... why wouldn't we do that? it's a fair and reasonable trade, cheap really. Of course, we didn't have a 4th and maybe they thought 86 was too much. But daamn, that was a rug yanked out.... and it seems it happens to the Texans every year but last year.

That's why this pick is so disappointing.

That and.... You should take an immediate starter with your first rounder. I don't think Howard is an immediate starter. How is his story any different than Julien Davenport?? You already had that guy.... giant , raw, small school competition

You have to go with your team's evaluator's I guess, so I'm not going to panic. They obviously did not like Jawaan Taylor. Howard certainly could develop into a 10 year LT, hell even Davenport still might. Most draft picks need 3 years to call bust or not.

But if the Eagles screwed me on a LT, I would have immediately switched gears and taken Greedy. You would have gotten an instant starter in a position of need and wouldn't look quite so screwed. There are going to be quality linemen available in the 50's (granted there will be quality CB's too... banking on Love)

#114 Dubious, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  15. 1234567

1234567 Member

They were not trading up under any circumstances. Need the picks.
    This is a draft, people get picked then It is your turn with what's left.

They likely felt TH will not be there at 54 and there was no takers for a trade down. Take's 2 sides to trade.

Now why rate TH this high? All teams rate differently.

Mocks is a good guessing job only.

Why did that Alabama OT still available?

Will this help the team? You would hope so.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The #86 pick has about a 10% chance of becoming a starter in the NFL. You could have traded #23 and #86 and had Dillard.

PHIL
    25 - 720
    127 - 45
    197 - 12

TEXANS
    23 - 760
    86 - 160

#116 Dubious, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Philly always gets what they want. Never scared to spend or trade. They don’t care about late picks. They are the complete opposite of how the Texans run an organization.

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He was on 610 a couple days and said that he had already spoken to teams in front of the them and what it would require to move up if a guy they really liked started to slide. I’m sure he did his due diligence...

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

No one knows how good Howard will be. No one knows if Howard will be better or worse than Dillard.

We do know that the Texans did a lot of scouting on and talking to Howard and made the decision to not trade up. So according to their draft board the difference between Dillard and Howard was not enough to justify trading up.

Hopefully if works out.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

We def needed OL picks, so great pick from a need perspective.

If Rankin can sew up a G spot they are actually putting together a line.