1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

But did he win a free steak?

2. Buck Turgidson

Long loopey (sp?) swing that looks slow to me

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forrest in Fayetteville

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLB Pipeline added Joshua Rojas 19th in their Top 30, replacing Yordan Alvarez who graduated. I think Rojas’ arm is adequate to backup SS (I don’t think he’s a great option in RF). They may be underselling his run and hit tools. I’d rank him a 50 overall.

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 45 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 40

Rojas was Draft-eligible for five straight years at an Arizona high school, Paradise Valley (Ariz.) CC and Hawaii and he distinguished himself with wood bats in summer college leagues. But he didn't get picked until his senior season of college, signing for $1,000 as a 26th-rounder in 2017. He has broken out this season, posting some of the best offensive numbers in the Astros system while playing six different positions.

Rojas has made consistent contact from the left side of the plate since turning pro but is doing more damage in 2019. He's showing an ability to drive the ball for the power to the opposite field that he didn't display in the past. If this version of Rojas is for real, he could play the role and provide the production that Marwin Gonzalez did for the 2017 World Series championship club.

Though he has fringy speed, Rojas has good instincts and an aggressive nature on the bases and he can pick his spots to steal. With an average arm and reliable arm, he's best suited for second base and left field. He can play an adequate third base and first base as well, and he also has seen action at shortstop and right field.

5. prospecthugger

Miguel Palma went 2-3 with a walk, 2B, and HR in the DSL. Palma is tied for the team lead with Jesus Liranzo with 4HRs. Last year Mascai led the team with 5.

Reimy Beltre went 4 IP 1H 0R 2BB 1HBP 5K. Walks have been a problem, but he's having a nice season.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs have added Farm Rankings to their Board. I tend to like these as while there is error on individual prospects, team wide rankings tend to smooth out the ratings.

Astros come in at 6th, but basically only Ray, Padres, and Dodgers with much more value.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects...ct-list?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

Dombrowski got Boston a World Series. As expected, he burned the farm to the ground.

Rockets FTW and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Another terrible start for Forrest Whitley... Thru .2 IP 2 hits, 1 walk and a HBP.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

His one and only problem right now is that he's a terrible pitcher, if he can fix that problem then he'll be alright.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Now had you waited through the third inning, this would have been a positive. 3 IP, 1 hit, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 2Ks. Retired 7 in a row

SWTsig, BigM, King1 and 5 others like this.
  10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

3.1 ip, 3 hits, 2k and 2 er

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Who homered today

Josh Rojas (20, 2-run); 20 HR, 29 SB this season
    Jake Adams, twice (15; 2 2-run); HR in both games of Fayetteville doubleheader
    Austin Dennis (3, solo)
    Yimmi Cortabarria (2, 3-run)
    Miguel Palma (4, 2-run)

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kent Emanuel vs. Omaha: 7 IP, 3 H, BB, 5 K

Tyler Ivey @ Northwest Arkansas: 2.1 IP, H, unearned run, 2 BB, 5 K
    Carlos Sanabria: 1.2 IP, BB, 4 K
    J.B. Bukauskas: 5 IP, H, BB, 7 K

Jojanse Torres vs. Lynchburg (game 2 of doubleheader): CG (7 IP), H, BB, 8 K

#2232 tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Encouraging stuff from Bukauskas, two very good appearances in a row.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jojanse Torres threw a complete game shutout in the second game of Fayetteville's doubleheader.

7 IP, H, BB, 8 K

No Worries likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

SSS albeit ... Emanuel might be starting to put it together in AAA.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think it’s a coincidence they moved him back to the rotation. He’s had a good year and might get Rule 5’ed, although I still don’t think there’s much chance he will he added to the Astros roster.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

This is quite a run of our prospects not allowing more than a run. I'm only counting ERs, as there's some pretty awful defense in the minors that shouldn't factor in. Donato apparently has higher upside than given credit for (he was drafted 11th because TJ was likely). Emanuel had been dominant in the past when AAA starting, then for some reason they switched him to relief and he fell apart ever since, so it's nice to see at least the starting trend re-continue. These trends help support what Luhnow already said, that they're not looking for a #3, and they're not looking to trade their top prospects, and that's great to hear IMO. #2, #3 pitchers are much less costly in the offseason. They might not even need another team's #4, as they could do what they always do and transform another team's #5 into a #4. Anyway, what a huge difference a week makes.

July 24 Bukauskas 5IP 1H 0R 1BB 7K, Ivey 2.1IP 1H 0R 2BB 5K, Emanuel 7IP 3H 0R 1BB 5K
    July 23 Valdez was the only one above A pitching this day, so I'm skipping this, he's let us down enough times (of course he was terrible). Torres was supposed to pitch today anyway, so I'm counting that. Torres 7IP 1H 0R 1BB 8K
    July 22 Donato 4.2IP 6H 1R 1BB 3K
    July 21 Armenteros 5IP 2H 1R 2BB 6K, Yohan Ramirez 5IP 2H 0R 3BB 4K
    July 20 Urquidy 7IP 2H 1R 1BB 9K, Bielak 7IP 1H 0R 2BB 7K
    July 19 Abreu 4IP 2H 0R 0BB 7K
    July 18 Bukauskas 6IP 7H 1R 2BB 9K, Tyler Ivey 3IP 0H 0R 1BB 2K
    July 17 Paredes 6IP 3H 0R 2BB 9K
    July 16 Sneed 7IP 5H 0R 1BB 7K

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hopefully Bukauskas had a lot of scouts at his last 2 starts.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I'm not sure there's a player good enough to trade Bukauskas for. Luhnow said the team doesn't need more than a #4; certainly doesn't need any hitting other than a catcher (and Crawfish made a big deal out of why we shouldn't give up on Stassi as Chirinos heats up), with a probable need for a reliever, but not necessarily a dominant one. I also would prefer giving Bukauskas a chance to raise his stock much, much higher than it currently is. We'd still be selling low now.

20. prospecthugger

I think if you can get a Stroman/Minor/Ray headlined by Bukauskas, that makes sense. I don't think you can get Boyd or Syndergaard without Tucker/Whitley involved, but if you could that makes sense. I'm not sure I'd want to trade him for wheeler or Bumgarner, but Lunhow has tried to trade Bukauskas at least twice over the last 12 months, so maybe he is willing to cash him in for a rental.