1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Feb 14, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Those keeping track at home ...

Astros Farm

has the box scores for the spring training games.

3. No Worries

Is anybody going to Astros Spring training this year?

I am thinking about taking my son next week to catch a couple of games.

As luck would have it, the Astros are only home for two of the games, while we will be there. :( We might wander over to the training complex back fields on the off days, to see some minor league games. I think those games are free. We will see.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Some very solid insurance going to be down in AAA:

Martes: Top 50 prospect last year, 23
    Paulino: Top 100 prospect last year
    Armenteros: 2.16 era in AAA last year
    Guduan: upper 90s lefty
    Hoyt: 3.11 xfip in majors
    Gustave: 100 mph fb
    Boshers: 4.00 xfip in majors

Doesn’t include Thornton, Rodgers, Deetz, Ferrell, McCurry, Gose, Whitley, or C Perez

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

1st baseperson. :)

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Do we start trimming the roster this week?

7. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I can't remember a year since 1998 when Astros pitching looked so fearsome. As good as the offense is likely to be this year, I almost feel the pitching is better.

8. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Hinch uses Peacock and McHugh in high leverage situations as long as they are in the bullpen. I'm worried about our pen otherwise. Devenski, Harris, Giles and Smith may all have fine seasons, but I think they all hold potential for disappointing seasons as well.

9. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I suppose anybody could have a bad season. But the guy I worry about more than anyone among those you mentioned is Rondon.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros are going to have to win a lot of games to give Rondon enough important opportunities to be worthy of concern. Then again, should we worry if the Astros are winning a lot of games? If Astros are reasonably healthy, Rondon may have trouble making any of the postseason rosters unless he is nails during the season.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes I think so. Although I doubt it’ll make much difference since there’s so few open spots and so many guys who weren’t even officially invited to camp getting playing time.

Basically we are watching Reed/White/Davis to see who will get Gurriel’s spot for the first few weeks of the season. Outside of that the only other things to monitor are:

If Sipp, Stassi, or Fisher start to play very poorly their spots may be jeopardized but for now they’re virtual locks.

Injuries; obviously if anybody gets hurt it’ll open up a spot.

Trades; if a team comes with a big offer for McHugh or Peacock I could see them being dealt but it’s very unlikely.

12. No Worries

Has minor league spring training camp started yet?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gose DFA. He must’ve done something. They already had an open spot on the 40 man so there really wasn’t a reason to send him back.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Well, whatever he did, it wasn't throwing strikes.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have to admit there is a part of me that was just so into the chase of winning a championship that, now that it has happened, I can't say I'm going to be as "into it" going forward. Now, the questions come down to "is this a dynasty in the making?" or "will we repeat?". These questions just don't interest me as much now that we have won a championship. Last season was awesome. I must have watched every game. But, this season, I just don't feel like I need to give it as much attention. I'm still interested for sure. But, I can't pretend I'm as interested. The chase for a championship is over. We did it! So, I'm kind of left with that feeling of "now what?". More baseball...that's what? But, I can't pretend it's as epic as last season. Sure, we could outdo last season and make it more special. But, that's a tough season to beat. I almost just feel like I can relax as a fan b/c we got 'er done! And, it felt great. I don't expect to repeat that feeling as much even if we do it again. I just don't feel I'm going to be into it as much now. I'm not sure if that is a letdown in my book or not. I will still watch and follow. But, damn, we climbed Mt. Everest last season. To me, it's just not as exciting the second time around. I imagine I could get that fire back if we went on a bad run of seasons (drought). But, baseball seems less urgent to me now. Am I alone? Can anyone else identify with what I'm saying? I mean...I've been hanging my hat on the Astros since the 70s waiting on "that day" to happen. Now that it has, I'm totally relieved that I was alive to see it happen after being a fan for so long. But, now that it has happened, I'm struggling a bit going forward. Lord knows I'll always be an Astros fan. But, I'm in a better, different place now...thanks to them and last season.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I understand where you’re coming from.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I feel good that we have one in the back pocket. It’s like a nice retirement account. But I still want to get paid today and I’m probably even more excited about this season.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The greatest burden is potential. Astros had the potential to win one and they did. That burden would have been increasingly heavy if it had not been met last season. Now, they have potential to be multiple champions and that burden will get heavier every year if they don't make it this year or next. I want the Astros to meet their potential. I enjoyed last year and I'm all in on this year. Let's win two baby!

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It might just be a hangover. The only experience I have with this is the Rockets and I remember that second championship being just as sweet as the first. Basketball does have a far different tempo, there are no four hour basketball games. Of course I think as you get older you get less invested in watching every game every day, at least I have.