1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That last goal by Mexico probably wasn't Guzan's fault, but he has a habit of letting late goals in that cause colossal losses... When Howard went out I was very worried...

And Klinnsman has a bad habit of changing stuff that has no business being changed.. that first half was absolute trash because of his meddling.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mexico was way better in the first 20m, Klinny with his idiotic formation gave them that first goal - the rest of the game was a great battle - Congrats to El Tri- they got the 3pts, the USA needs at least 1 pt Tuesday or they might be in trouble qualifying in the Hex.

DD

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This was my first soccer game that i watched from beginning to end. Mexico played good the first half then fell asleep afterwards. The shlould have known Rafa does head goals.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This was on Klinsmann. You don't put in a formation change with less than a week to work on it...whether it be against Mexico or against Barbados. Second, you don't institute a formation change, putting a player (Pulisic) in a position he hasn't played for club or country. He's a winger that runs at players. Once they changed the formation, things instantly improved. This is his major downfall. He makes things way more complicated than they need to be. Don't try to fix what ain't broke. Keep Pulisic out wide and let him run at the defense and create...which he did quite well once moving.

Mexico should've been up more early but we had chances that should've been put away, too. Pulisic had a bad 1st touch in the box...Gonzalez missed a header he'd typically bury...Wood had a great turn and volley but hit it right at the keeper.

I like Altidore's game right now. He's finally using the skills he's good at and making things happen. Not doing too much with the ball and his 1st touch has improved a bit lately. Weird to think that the 2 players I couldn't stand the most on the team might be 2 of the most important right now in Jozy and Jermaine Jones. We have to have JJ on the field as he's our muscle.

Lastly...f*** rafa marquez. It's still between that p.o.s. and the fat Guatemalan fish for my most despised player in world soccer.

ferrari77 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Swoly takes the win!

SwoLy-D likes this.
  6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Mexico deserved the victory. That was probably (in terms of talent) the best Mexican XI I've seen them put out in a while.
    The US did well to come back into the game in the 2nd half but the damage was done by Klinsmann doing what he does. Making an unnecessary change in formation before a game.

His comments after the game were troubling but not surprising because he does that all the time. He threw John Brooks under the bus for the Marquez goal. He also did the same re. Bradley and Jermaine Jones in midfield.
    We get it, Bradley and Jones were sub par in the first half. Brooks definitely let Rafa slip past him (as did Jozy in not marking anyone or paying attention to Marquez drifting in front of him) but very few top managers in club or international football do that- just name the player and toss them out to the press(Mourinho def loves to do the same). Take the blame, admit fault and move on.

I see no reason why the players would even fight for him. Obviously they play for themselves, the country and the fans and by now it's obvious the manager besides his "rah rah" talk to pump them up on the touchline and locker room, is of little value with his tactical mistakes and his love for throwing them out to the press whenever a mistake is made.

But still, the Klinsmann train will chug on. Let's see how Costa Rica and the rest of WCQ goes.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

USA is 45 minutes away from joining T&T at the bottom of the Hex with 0 points. Cameron must be the leader of the defense because Brooks isn't close to the same player when Cameron isn't in there with him.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Welp... what does USA have to do now?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Brooks is trash. USA taking L's since the election...

10. DaDakota

They have to fire some players, or get some that will play with some energy and emotion.

Bradley sucks, he has turned into Captain safety, never makes runs, his service is ass.

Chandler runs like a Penguin and gets beat by speed all game long.

We don't play creative players together.

Klinnsman has held on too long to some of the old players, we need to go young with Morris, Pulisic, Wood, Yedlin, go with youth and fire.

This is not working......we are in danger of not qualifying for the WC.

DD

DreamShook likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Has anyone been fired in the middle of qualifying?

12. DaDakota

I think Mexico fired their manager, many have I believe, it may be time for Klinnsman to go, this might be the team revolting on him from last game blaming the players for his crappy formation.

DD

DreamShook likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What is the advantage of using players out of position? I'm a casual soccer fan, so I don't understand why Klinnsman thinks this would be good for the team.

14. DaDakota

Because he is an arrogant ass who thinks he knows better - he is not a good coach.

DD

15. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

This is a disaster! I think it's time to fire Klinsmann, he is overrated as a coach. The only achievement he has during his tenure was advancing the team out of the group of death stage in the last World Cup.

Mexico right now as a whole are a much better team then the US. It's unacceptable the US to regress as they have. The team is old and have no new stars on the horizon it seems.

Making it as the 4th place team and then in to a playoff match up against a tough Asian team is not a garuantee to the World Cup

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What a dumpster fire of a game. I'm fairly certain my U8 team that I just finished coaching had a better 1st touch and tactical awareness than the bunch of amateurs we saw last night. Outside of Pulisic, Altidore, and Wood....no one on the field deserves to be back for the Honduras game. I say those three because at least when they had the ball at their feet, they tried to make something positive happen. The rest were complete and utter s***.

And there's no one to blame than the coach that puts them in position to lose over and over again. How Chandler is a professional soccer player is beyond me...and in the Bundesliga!? JK is, as has been said over and over again, a terrible tactician. Maybe one of the worst at this level. But hey...they're fit!

Right now is the time. There's 4 months until the next WCQ game against Honduras. Fire him today and get the search underway. There's more than enough time to get someone in and start the evaluation process. Get us some good friendlies in the January window and just end this s***show already. We are no better off than when he took over and, in fact, he might have set us back 20 years. If they keep him, I can already predict the future. They'll do just enough to get to Russia as the 3rd place team. They'll luck out in a relatively easy group and get to the 2nd round. Then, they'll completely change tactics and the lineup while losing. JK gets to walk away from the team on his own terms after having done absolutely nothing for us.

Fire him today.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

See this I can't get with. A few weeks, months, ago you and others probably weren't calling Brooks trash. He isn't. He is a good defender of international quality playing for a Bundesliga club. He's been good more often than not for the US team.
    Players have bad games.
    Coaches put players in positions whereby they have bad games
    Players sometimes show how they feel about their coach through their bad games.

The team quit on Klinsmann(deserverdly). I thought he would lose them after he threw them under the boss post Mexico and yesterday's game sure seemed that way.

Then again, this is about the 3rd time in 4 years that I thought he had lost the team and would be fired. We'll see how this time goes.
    In any other footy loving country, Klinsmann would be fired today. In most places Sunil's time leading the USSF would be up. 3 four year terms?
    Klinsmann is his guy so him sacking Klinsmann is difficult to see happening but it is what should happen. Both of them need to leave the US Soccer program.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea Brooks had a bad game but he isn't someone who should be dropped because of a bad game. He made the mistake in the Mexico game causing Rafa to be open and JK buried him in the media for it post game while burying other players and not taking an ounce of blame.

Now after last night for the first time ever JK takes some blame for his decisions. Seems like a guy that realizes he's probably on his way out.

Are we a great team, no but in my 24 years of watching this team I haven't seen a team as disjointed and just didn't look happy together since the 98 world cup (and we all know what was behind that). Time for a new coach with new ideas and someone who actually looks at things tactically instead of just a glorified cheerleader.

19. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Right decision would seem to be fire Klinsmann. But who would you replace him with? Arena or Pareja? Seems to be no clear logical choice.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you guys fire Klinsy now is the time to do it. My question to all of you is why is Sunil Gulati safe? He hired Klinsy and has kept him on. I'd fire both which does bring up the question, who does Sunil answer too?