1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Patrick Sandoval with a great start 7ip 3h and 5k with 1bb. This kid deserves a promotion! 2.49era now

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. prospecthugger

Valdez has 11 hits on the season, 9 of them are extra base hits. He's doing well.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

Kyle Tucker with hits in both games tonight. Extends hitting streak to 13...not quite 40 but I’ll take it

texans1095 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rogelio Armenteros went six innings in the second game of Fresno's doubleheader. The one hit he allowed was a solo homer; he also walked two and struck out nine.

Hemo_jr and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think 10 years from now we will look back and be amazed at how many of their current pitching prospects ended up contributing in the majors. The depth right now is unbelievable.

Hemo_jr, awc713, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  8. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Martes, Paulino, Armenteros, and (maybe?) Josh James could probably all be every 5th day starters somewhere right now.

I have to think before the deadline at least one of the 3/4 position player AAA prospects (White, Davis, Reed) and at least one of the AAA SP prospects (Martes, Paulino, Armenteros) will be traded. If anything these guys just deserve to get their shot somewhere. Look at Teo, Enrique Hernandez, Domingo Santana, etc. Those guys are on track to make millions - you hate to take that away from a guy like Derek Fisher or Francis Martes.

9. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And to be clear I mean our Derek Fisher, because if I could take millions away from the other Derek Fisher I would.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pitching prospects listed being traded may be traded, but it isn't going to be because Astros are trying to trade them. Astros are going to need a ton of pitching in two years and possibly sooner.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Seth Beer has two doubles, three homeruns, four walks for a 1.114 OPS in his first 30 AB’s

texans1095 likes this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

How are they taking millions away from him? They’ve given him substantial playing time and thus far he’s been mediocre. I’m far more impressed with Tony Kemp.

Martes looked great in the Astros bullpen last year but has struggled as a starter this year.

With Keuchel and Morton hitting free agency after the season and Cole and JV after 2019 nows the time to hold onto Whitley, Bukauskas, C Perez, Armenteros, etc

Hank McDowell likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RHP Kevin Hill was released from Corpus. He had been injured most of the season and finally came back to make one appearance earlier this week. He was the 25th round pick in 2016, and had pretty good numbers in his career, but was always a relief prospect. Carlos Sierra was activated to take his place on the Hooks' roster.

LHP Chris Nunn was also released, from AAA. I assume this is to make room for Tyler White coming back from Houston once Joe Smith is activated.

#1454 Snake Diggit, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Beer bomb #4...so far he's answering those questions about his performance with wood bats

No Worries, crose, Joe Joe and 3 others like this.
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Randy César just doubled to extend his hitting streak to 41 games.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forrest Whitley hit his first speed bump of the year. On the bright side (I suppose), he also pitched in the 5th for the first time.

He leaves with the bases loaded for Kit Scheetz.... who allows everyone to score.

4.1 IP, 5 H, 7 ER (3 inherited runners charged to him), 3 BB, 6 K

Joe Joe likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

And a homer. I’m still not expecting him to be a successful major leaguer but at this point he’s very likely playing himself into a 40 man roster spot this fall.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Dean Deetz allowed a hit and struck out three over 1.2 scoreless innings for Corpus, so he seems to have picked up right where he left off.

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

The MLB.com Top 100 was updated, wondering when they'll update the top 30.

With Beer mashing, I think our Top 10 looks something like this:

1. Whitley
    2a. Tucker
    2b. Alvarez
    4. Cionel Perez
    5. Corbin Martin
    6. Seth Beer
    7. JB Bukauskas
    8. Freudis Nova
    9. Josh James
    10. Jairo Solis

As many of you said, after our top 3, it gets a little murky. Perez has been absolutely dominating in AA with a fastball up to 97mph. His combo of stuff, results, and reports of him having pretty good command and a feel for pitching is why I have him #4.

Martin has also had a great season so far, fastball has been up to 96mph as a starter and he's shown a mix of pitches that will probably keep him as a starter. His decrease in strikeouts in AA is why I have him behind Cionel, although you could argue that Corbin has a higher likelihood of remaining a starter which would boost his ranking above Cionel. Martin's command has been significantly better than it was in college, I'm guessing due in part to our awesome coaching staff.

Beer and Bukauskus are both somewhat boom or bust guys, but with Beer mashing in his start as a pro, I have him ahead of JB. Has anyone even heard of updates regarding JB's arm? The questions regarding his command, ability to remain a starter, injury concerns, and inability to dominate in his 15 total innings thus far are why he's dropped so far.

Nova has always been held in high regards for his tools and potential, but he's so young and so far away that I'm not really sure why he's ranked so high.

Does anyone think we discriminate against Josh James? 25 year old who was a late draftee from a no-name college, but he's up to 98mph and shown an above average slider and a usable changeup with dominant results. Based on stuff and results, he should be higher, but because of his age and lack of pedigree, he's lower than he should be.

There are a lot of guys who could battle for the 10th spot. An argument could be made each for Matijevic, Christian Javier, Jorge Alcala, Jon Arauz, Miles Straw, and Joe Perez, but I think Jairo Solis' combo of age (turns 19 in December), projectability (6'2 160lbs), stuff (FB up to 96mph, "feel for a changeup", and reports of a 55 slider), and showing that he's not overmatched at his level given his age are why he's my #10. The results in A ball aren't dominating by any means, but I think he'll end up with numbers that will surprise us by the end of the year for an 18 year old in full season ball.

I'll take a stab at 11-30:

11. Jorge Alcala - likely a reliever who throws 100mph and I've seen his slider and it's wicked. Has made baby steps with his command, but he's a bullpen guy for sure.
    12. Miles Straw - will be a major leaguer at some point, but likely a 4th outfielder unless he keeps hitting and he might force his way in as a starter given his plus speed and defense.
    13. Jonathan Arauz - still young (19), still super projectable (150lbs-ish), a really pretty swing, and defensive potential have him rated over
    14. JJ Matijevic - The bat plays, but he's positionless and is striking out too much. Has shown an ability to make adjustments given his college production in his junior year so I believe he'll eventually figure it out.
    15. Christian Javier - can't deny the production, but he's 6'1 and has relatively average stuff. I fear he'll turn into a Rogelio Armentaros type guy, a guy who puts up great numbers at every level without plus stuff and never gets his shot because of it.

16. Joe Perez - draft pedigree has him this high, glad he's finally playing
    17. Abraham Toro Hernandez - I feel like we all believe in him and are rooting for him.
    18. Gilberto Celestino - young and toolsy, we'll see how he turns out
    19. Peter Solomon - dominating A ball, likely bullpen guy with above average 2 pitch arsenal but has a chance to start given early results so far
    20. Jayson Schroeder - not super projectable, but his draft pedigree has him this high
    21. Brett Adcock - bullpen lefty with above average FB and hammer curve, has taken baby steps with his command
    22. Rogelio Armenteros - Wish he was an inch taller and had 2mph more on his FB
    23. Garrett Stubbs - ceiling of a backup catcher with good defensive skills, just wish he could hit the weight room in the offseason
    24. Hector Perez - definitely a bullpen guy, just wish he could throw more strikes
    25. Patrick Sandoval - dominating A ball in what, his 3rd try. Didn't really turn out to what we projected him to be when drafted, FB still sits at 90mph for a 6'3 lefty, but flashes a hammer curve and a good changeup
    26. Tyler Ivey - Haven't seen or read much on him, reports are he's up to 95mph and flashes a pretty good breaking ball. Have him behind Sandoval due to age and Sandoval's better results and left handedness
    27. Framber Valdez - if he wasn't getting hit around so much, he'd be much higher given his stuff and left handedness. Took a step forward with his ability to throw strikes this year, but the consequence has been he's getting hit
    28. Dean Deetz - up to 97mph with a wicked curve, spotty command, but I believe his stuff is better than Farrell's
    29. Riley Farrell - will keep getting chances because of his draft pedigree, but I'm not sure he'll ever make it
    30. Nathan Perry - my sleeper pick

No Worries likes this.