1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Just if they aren’t resigned. I expect at least 1 of Springer, Bregman, or Correa to be extended. Likely 2 of the 3.

Htown Stros likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t get too excited. He isn’t striking guys out and his era looks like the result of some good luck. Obviously it is encouraging for a non-prospect to have some success, hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t expect him to be more than org depth.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Michael Papierski has a 37% bb rate. Despite hitting below .200 he still has a very good wRC+. QC’s offense has been pretty terrible but the 3 most important prospects (Matijevic, Arauz, and Papierski) are all doing pretty well. Despite getting absolutely shelled last game, Patrick Sandoval still has an xFIP <3.5 for the season.

Abdiel Saldana has not allowed a run but his xFIP is only 9th best on BC’s pitching staff. BC’s offense has really come around; 7 hitters (Sieber, Sierra, Rojas, Toro, McCormick, Canelon, Dawson) now have wRC+ >110.

Birk raised his average to .278, but he still isn’t hitting for much power. Josh James, Ralph Garza, and Ryan Hartman are the only 3 pitchers with an xFIP <3.5.

Armenteros is arguably the only starting pitching prospect in AAA off to a good start. Stubbs, Davis, Kemp, and Ferguson all have wRC+ >110.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really want to see Rojas play. He has stats that make me think he's the type of guy I prefer:
    • low swing strike rate, 4.6 % and low K%, 12.8 %;
    • low ground ball rate, 29.4 %;
    • good BABIP, 0.340;
    • Decent ISO, 0.188; and
    • Good BB%, 17.9 %
    I'd like to see what type of swing he has to see if there might be some more power there.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Got some daytime minor league baseball today...

Marteen likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't follow Minor League baseball as closely as you and @tellitlikeitis, but looking solely at the stat line, is Armenteros off to a good start? He had what looks like a very bad start, followed by what looks like a very good start and followed by what looks like a very bad start.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 4.32.44 PM.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Home runs are something to follow. K% and BB% look very good if home runs are a statistical fluke that low innings hasn't washed away yet.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

11.3 k/9 is elite. 33% of the flyballs he’s allowed have been HR, an indicator of unsustainable bad luck.

bobrek likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thanks....

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. prospecthugger

Luis Garcia with another good game in his first start. 4.1 IP 2H 1BB 7Ks 0R. Brings his season total to 9IP 3H 0R 4BB 16Ks. At this point last year, he was an unsigned 20 year old Venezuelan. His only pro experience last year was in the DSL.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

After getting knocked around in his last appearance, Framber Valdez has thrown 5 innings of one-run ball for Corpus.

The one run came on a solo homer... Framber has allowed just one other hit and struck out 6.

Final line: 6 IP, 2 H (solo HR allowed), ER, 7 K

#532 tellitlikeitis, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Hemo_jr likes this.
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

After starting the season 2-26 at the plate, Ryne Birk is now on an 8-game hitting streak. The last four games in the streak have been multi-hit games.

Birk has raised his slash line from .077/.242/.077 to .293/.364/.345.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I heard Carson Cistulli and Eric Longenhagen talking about James on the fangraphs audio podcast yesterday. Apparently his velo has increased each of the last few years. He's currently popping 98 on the radar gun with 2-3 average to plus secondary offerings. Late bloomer worth keeping an eye on.

18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I'm becoming more excited about Yordan every day. He's got easy power, an above average hit tool, is very athletic by all accounts and is still just 20 years old.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep. I think he will be a major leaguer, but his hit tool will determine if he is a star or just a fringy bat. An increase in power is likely to offset any loss of mobility that may decrease his defensive value. Extremely high ceiling guy. He (David Ortiz) and Nova (Hanley Ramirez) both have superstar potential.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is tough to fake what he is doing for long. If he keeps it up, he's a dude and will likely be in Houston pen later in the year.

Oddly, I think his hit tool (appears to have good bat control and developing better plate discipline) will give him a better chance to stick in the majors than most prospects. Getting his power into games (i.e., homers instead of smoking hot liners) will determine if he's a star.