1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Patrick Sandoval has allowed 3 hits and struck out 5 over 5 shutout innings for Quad Cities.

It's been a slow burn for him since he signed for $900K out of the 11th round back in 2015, but he started to put things together last season and he could be on the cusp of busting out this year.

Hemo_jr and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

really like the depth of our system moving forward. we're bound to hit on a few more breakout prospects. I've always liked Dawson and Sandoval, but we'll see who plays well.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yesterday was an organizational sweep.

Grizzlies: 5-3
    Hooks: 5-2
    BC Astros: 6-3
    River Bandits: 5-2

AstrosFarm

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dawson and Toro have been disappointing so far, but pretty much every other positioon player prospect I expected to have success is off to a good start:

Tucker
    Alvarez
    Reed
    Straw
    Arauz
    Matijevic
    Papierski

Stubbs, Birk, and Sierra were guys I was hoping would break out but not counting on it, and they’ve struggled. Chuckie Robinson was a guy lots of people were high on who I expected to struggle, and so far that’s been the case.

On the pitching side, it’s been a mixed bag. Martes, Armenteros, Bukauskas, Alcala, and Cionel Perez all struggled, and I was expecting them all to dominate. Framber Valdez, Brett Adcock, and Patrick Sandoval have all put up good performances which helps the org outlook for lefties. Sandoval especially is one I expect to break out. Corbin Martin, Tyler Ivey, Brandon Bailey,,and Hector Perez could all be about to take the jump from 2nd tier to 1st tier, and there’s a host of guys whose stocks have improved based on the last 2 weeks: Kent Emanuel, Dykxhoorn, Josh James, LaRue, Bielak, Javier, Solomon, Yohan Ramirez, and Parker Mushinski.

Nook likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Neither.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Lorenzo Quintana, the Cuban import, just hit his first home run in American professional baseball for Corpus.

9. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

And his second. He has the experience in Cuba. Could he be in Houston later this year?

10. Buck Turgidson

I hope not. I'm guessing that would mean about 3 other guys got hurt.

crose likes this.
  11. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

From what I understand, he was a big time catcher for Serie Nacional with significant offensive upside. Assuming that Serie Nacional is AAAA equivalent, Quintana could be the best receiver in the Astros' system (or he could just be depth). But, if he is good enough, at 29 he is going to be fast-tracked. And possibly could force his way to Houston (if only as September call-up).

I may be suffering from irrational exuberance after he hit two HRs. But his age and his track record in Cuba will lend credibility to any tear he might go on. He might end up in Fresno as depth like his countryman, Alejandro Garcia. Or in Houston like his countryman, Yuli.

12. Buck Turgidson

OK, 2 other guys: McCann and Stassi. Gattis is emergency 3rd, and if he gets hurt they're not calling up a catcher.

13. Nook

Nook Member

never mind

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

What happened last night:

Kyle Tucker hit a walk-off RBI single for Fresno, giving them a 7-6 win over Reno in 12 innings.
    Francis Martes: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

Lorenzo Quintana hit two homers in Corpus Christi's 8-1 win over Northwest Arkansas.
    Ryan Hartman: 5 IP, 3 H, 4 K

Josh Rojas: 3-3, 2B, 2 R in Buies Creek's 4-2 loss to Salem; Osvaldo Duarte drove him in both times.
    Carson LaRue: 5 IP, 4 H, BB, 6 K

Quad Cities was shut out 1-0 by Burlington in a game that was delayed by rain for nearly an hour and a half. Tyler Ivey allowed a run on 3 hits and struck out 7 in 4.1 innings.

Marteen likes this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kit Scheetz struck out 3 over 1.1 perfect innings for Buies Creek last night; he now has 10 strikeouts in 4.1 IP this season.

16. htownbball

htownbball Member

Is Tyler Ivey a guy that's flying under the radar? A surprise pick in the 3rd round last year, was projected to go a round or two later. Struggled early on last year but adjusted quickly and has racked up a bunch of strikeouts. Off to a great start in Low A in two appearances, 16 strikeouts in 9 innings. I think he could be a sleeper prospect who jumps in the rankings this year

Snake Diggit and texans1095 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros appear to be focused on plate discipline for a lot of the hitting prospects. I know Tucker has mentioned it this offseason. Top 6 hitting prospects averaging about an 18 BB%.

Marteen, No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Early results definitely look promising. Never saw much coverage about what his pitch mix looks like, around draft time or even now.

Draft strategy-wise, he could have gone a few rounds earlier than expected for any number of reasons. 1) he went underslot and knowing they were going overslot on Joe Perez meant they had to go underslot somewhere else in the high-pick range. 2) the Astros being the local team probably had more looks on him and had him higher on their list than the national media 3) there's just not a ton of difference between players drafted in 3rd-6th rounds anyway, teams just go with preference not where they line-up on the BA500.

19. prospecthugger

All 3 pitchers for QC yesterday are worth following. Luis Garcia jumped from the DSL, and BA had him as the '31st' prospect for the Astros featuring a mid 90s FB and a big curve.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kyle Tucker went 2-4; both of his hits were doubles, one of them broke a 1-1 tie in the 8th.

One batter later, Tyler White smacked a 2-run homer. Fresno topped Reno 4-1.

Marteen likes this.