1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018-2019] Jeremy Lin as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trae Young has some playmaking potential. Great kid if he can assist and shoot.

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Like all negotiations, you start asking high then eventually settle down into something more reasonable.

4. omgTHEpotential

3rd All-Star returns are in.

Jerry is 8th among guards in the East, with 340,000 votes. I guess putting up 11 points on a 14-30 team is nothing to scoff at. Given that a 25/5/5 guy (Bradley Beal) is below Jerry.

tinman likes this.
  5. yoeddy

I voted for Dinwiddie and Russell...

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But Bradley Beal doesn't have a cult following like David Koresh, Jim Jones, or Jeremy Lin.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

Being an Asian NBA player, he has a lot of Asian fans. Why are you surprised?

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Bench player on a losing team who’s not 100% healthy

Steph curry has lots of Asian fans

Lin just has delusional cult followers
    They aren’t basketball fans

9. adoo

adoo Member

Lonzo Ball will be out for at least 6 wks, add LAL to the list

10. yoeddy

@tinman ...following up on your question about what scenario could Lin end up in Orlando, just saw this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howard...ion-should-be-the-orlando-magic/#7329fa764753

He writes: "My suggestion: Terrence Ross and Jerian Grant to Atlanta, a pair of expiring contracts between them, for Jeremy Lin.

Everybody wins in this scenario. The Hawks have a Trae Young backup. The Magic can see what this roster looks like with a point guard built to maximize their most vital long-term assets, and maybe even make a playoff run in the process. And Jeremy Lin can show the league he can start, and thrive in the role, ahead of his next big free agent decision, while playing for a coach, in Steve Clifford, who loves him.

There are plenty of other teams who could use Jeremy Lin — I'm looking at you, Phoenix. But the Magic make too much sense for these two teams not to get together on a Lin deal."

11. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

It'd be nice to see Jeremy play on a contender as a backup PG (like Shaun Livingston). He's bounced around the league for way too long.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Lol, Lin fans always want Lin to move from team to team all the time. There is no end to the 'perfect' situation cause there isn't one.

13. yoeddy

Brooklyn was actually the perfect situation for him. Unfortunately, his injuries put him in a position that made sense for the Nets to trade him. As far as Atlanta goes, everyone has said from the very beginning that this was far from a good situation for him...so not sure why you think the trade speculation is anything to slam Lin fans for.

And in all honesty, I wouldn't mind it at all if Atlanta decided to offer Lin a 3 year contract to be the back-up PG. I'm sure Lin is tired of moving around, and if Atlanta gave him a real role (eg. 6th man) with meaningful minutes and prioritized winning, it wouldn't be a terrible situation...the reason why it's terrible now is because Atlanta hasn't made any kind of commitment to Lin beyond this year, so it's hard to make a big emotional commitment to the team. But I actually like Coach Pierce, and the team seems to be developing decent chemistry (including Lin)...it's not like how it was when he was with the Lakers or even the Knicks after D'Antoni left...it almost feels like Charlotte in terms of having the trust of the coach and his teammates.

That said, it would be great if he got traded to a team that is competitive to make the playoffs and he had a significant role there...and that at the end of the season, they extended him for 2-3 years. Again, tired of Lin changing teams...

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Who is 'everyone'?

15. Garner

Garner Member

To say that Lin is holding something back because he doesn't feel they've invested enough in him, would be a huge insult to Lin's professionalism and reputation.

I don't think it's true, but I think you're asserting the argument because you like Lin and want there to be more. there isn't.

At this point in his career, Lin is nothing more than a serviceable journeyman and that's totally fine.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

What I would say is that he underachieved. In the Linsanity stretch I watched greatness. He was confident, dead on accurate, blowing by people like Harden, and passing fairly well against stiff competition and in the face of the media, and the leagues icons . Think he could have been what we saw. But he didn't know how to reengage it. Had literally know idea how to tap into it again. It wasn't just a hot streak to me. I think he had it, but forgot how to do it. Whereas someone like Harden obsesses with how to get there. He can literally tap into it at any moment and re-engage. Lin let himself down in my opinion.

AvgJoe likes this.
  17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Probably to do more with mentality. We saw when he was confident, there was greatness in him. I remember back when he's on the Rockets, he had the issue of doing much better at home than on the road. He seems to fuel from the crowd to inject confidence in himself. I would say he lacks the mental toughness to be a great player, especially in adapting to the quick rise to fame along with managing his ego when conflicting with his Christianity humbleness. And lastly, being coached by McHale and later on Byron Scott on Lakers did not help.

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

Playing 10 years and counting in the NBA as an undrafted is an overachievement if anything.

adoo likes this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

True, but that gap between his peak run relative to the rest of his career is pretty large. Pretty rare

20. yoeddy

I'm not saying he's purposely "holding something back". He comes and does his job professionally. But there is a difference between doing a job and playing with joy, and I am sure that Lin would play with much more joy on a team that showed they were interested in him longer term. I think anybody would be the same way.

Lin is human. And his track record shows that he wants to commit very strongly emotionally to his teams. We first saw it with the Rockets when he expressed sadness when Moray traded Patrick Patterson and Lin commented that it made him so sad that he "didn't even feel like playing". When in Houston, he set up a charity to help the local community. He did that in Brooklyn, too. He wants to do it, but if the team is not committed to him, maybe he thinks "maybe i'll just do some charitable work here and not bother setting up a longer term charity because I'm not going to be here to see it through".

At this point, I agree with you...Lin is a serviceable journeyman in this league, probably won't get a starting job anywhere because of his age, physical condition, and quite honestly his lack of development and opportunity to establish himself over these last few years. Brooklyn was his best shot, and injuries ruined that.

Once Lin buys into the notion that he is a now a journeyman who is now beyond his best opportunities, maybe he will find it easier to "play with joy" as a journeyman and mercenary...maybe playing now with Vince Carter will help him find this realization, since Vince is currently the epitome of a player who just loves to play for the joy of playing regardless of who he is playing for. But yes, as a fan of his, I'm still hoping that he can find a situation where he's playing for a competitive team and his role is a significant one (unlike his situation in Atlanta).