1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Well of course he was going to struggle with only a walk threw for preparation.

That's solely on the coach who should've prepared him from day one. Especially knowing his own track record of benching his quarterbacks after a terrible game.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe there should be a signature bet or just go away for some time bet around Watson's performance this week

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. Malaya

Malaya Member

Who does Bobbythegreat want for our QB anyway? What's your alternative?

I knew the team worked out both Watson and Mahomes. But Trubisky and Mahomes were off the board by the time we traded up.

Did you want Kizer who now we know suffers from migraines?

5. Malaya

Malaya Member

We all know Deshaun needs time. Then he's suddenly thrust into the starting position with the handicap of not having reps with ones. I don't know if any rookie QB in the NFL has ever gone through something like that.

We don't expect him to be error-free. We just hope he stays injury-free and learns as much as he can with the game reps. We also watch because he can surprise us in a good way with his playmaking abilities.

Nothing is too big for him. He does not throw teammates under the bus. He is learning to lead veterans in that locker room. What more can we ask for from him 3 weeks into the season?

#1865 Malaya, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ryan Mallett

sammy, red5rocket, T for 3 and 4 others like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would have preferred to not trade up to get a QB at all over using 2 first round picks on an extreme gamble with lots of red flags, but none of that matters now. At this point we can just hope for the best, but that doesn't mean ignoring the struggles along the way in order to fluff the QB that we do have. An honest and accurate assessment of where Watson is at right now apparently is controversial with some here and that's just weird.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Golly Gosh Goober

FLASH21 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I can't speak for Bobby, but I can tell you I want what is best for the Texans long term and that is the proper development of Deshaun Watson because it is best for the Texans.

I don't think throwing Watson out there, behind that line, with little preparation and not taking first team reps in the summer. Watson isn't throwing the ball well and that isn't going to magically change under the conditions he is under.

Hub Arkush said it best when he said the Texans are doing no favors for Watson's development.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ignore the struggles?

Its been a game and a half with a victory in the start.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This isnt a David Carr situation. Watson quarterbacked a national champ beating a giant favorite.

His confidence won't break. I think that's already very apparent.

The only reason for playing Savage was you can win now and if he had a good line he probably would have given you a better chance.

Sitting young quarterbacks to learn us a thing of he past

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team winning the game doesn't mean that there weren't significant struggles. You know that.

It's not that yet, but you are only fooling yourself if you don't think it's possible that it could end up like that. It's the main reason I thought throwing Watson to the wolves before he was ready was foolish. We'll see how it plays out but all we can do now is hope for the best.

That said, throwing a kid who can't reliably pass the ball more than 10 yards beyond the LOS and struggles with accuracy even inside that area into the game with basically no O line and a less than stellar group of receiving targets is one of the worst situations you could put a kid in. If given a year to work out the kinks in his passing game and time to make that O line more solid, then I'd like his chances a lot better.

whozee likes this.
  16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

You guys are pretty rough. I came away pretty impressed with some of the throws he made especially on some first down conversions. I was expecting the worst after his showing against Jax but considering we have no O-line, no receivers (except Hopkins), on the road, I think he did better than I would have expected given the circumstances. Give the kid a chance to grow. Nothing I saw from his accuracy tells me he will suck in this game which shows some progress. Of course he made some bad throws but what QB doesn't these days?

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree that running Watson out there so early in his career may damage him. But, let's face it. Savage wasn't going to stay healthy very long behind this offensive line. So, we were probably going to see Watson early in this season anyway.

I wish BOB had stuck with Savage longer than he did, but that's behind us now. I just wish we had a healthy and balanced offense around whoever the QB is.

I will admit that I'm at the point to where I would like to see the Texans give Brown what he wants. We don't know what he is asking for, but I think he could really help and I feel bad for our QB's.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, it's possible that Savage would have gotten hurt, but I'd have rather have that happen and give Watson as much time as possible before throwing him to the wolves.

Agreed that it's all behind us now, there's no turning back. Either Watson will be broken by the stupid situation we threw him in or he'll be hardened by it.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

We all know he can get better right?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone has ever suggested otherwise, you just can't expect that to happen overnight. I'm hoping by the end of the season he looks more like a respectable passer and by this time next year he'll actually be a respectable passer. Even that's a pretty quick timetable.