1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, I mean come on, pressure on 31 of 34 dropbacks in the game on Sunday. NOBODY could succeed in that situation. It's untenable. Savage can probably be average at least. I don't think he has a high ceiling because he seems paranoid of mistakes.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, no. Trying to blame the O line struggles on Martin and Savage is ridiculous....unless of course there is a protection scheme that could be called that would make the O linemen actually block their guys instead of getting rolled on every play.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nope. I said Savage gets excuses he doesn't deserve, Watson doesn't while deserving them. Neither of those make any damn sense. In a tldr; that's what I said.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you Skip Bayless? Honest question.

5. justtxyank

[​IMG]

Defend Savage? I've criticized his slow brain, his fear of mistakes, etc. I even said it might make us go 0-16 to start him every game (even though I was exaggerating there) and you think I'm defending him? Watson is a much better prospect than Savage. Much better. The only reason I would roll with Savage is to do what's best for Watson, I don't think we can win anything with Savage.

FLASH21 likes this.
  6. ipaman

most of the issues were individual battles lost sure but plenty of video evidence and analysis exists that proves protection calls are also an issue. but keep ignoring it and making excuses for a guy who doesn't deserve any.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I don't think he has a high ceiling either, but he's a guy that can complete passes without turning the ball over. If given even 3 seconds from the time the ball is snapped to the time he's hit, he can move the offense down the field. If he managed to occasionally get 3.5 seconds from the time the ball is snapped to the time he's hit, IMO he might even make the occasional flashy throw for plus yardage.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, so now you care about video evidence and analysis? I could have sworn you were ignoring it up until this point when you think it might work to your favor.

9. ipaman

why save watson? you could argue that for every rodgers (who sat for years) there are 3 or 4 times as many bradys, mannings, and recently wilson, luck, carrs, prescott, etc... who played right away with success. and guess what just as many flops from those who sat and those who didn't. so if sitting vs starting doesn't matter as evidence proves, i chose the quick option. better to find out now while you ahve a D then wait. 4 years of savage, way more than enough for me. need to find out what watson has now so you can decide in 2 years what you're going to do. today's nfl, don't need to wait and try to hit the lottery. instead play the qb lottery each year, much better chance of hitting.

10. ipaman

i always care about it but you can't ignore context when using video and the video & post was ignoring doing just that

11. justtxyank

They were pressured on 31 of 34 dropbacks. So only THREE TIMES did the offensive line keep pressure off the QB. That includes the times Watson was in the game. He didn't call protections any better.

You may be right that Savage sucks at that, I have no clue, but better protection calls won't change the fact that Kendall Lamm doesn't finish plays, the XSF can't pass protect still, that Jeff Allen seems like he doesn't even try anymore that Giocamni was barely even a speed bump for the edge rush.

They were awful. Now, maybe (God PLEASE) they won't be THAT bad all year. We can only hope. But if they are going to be that bad I'd rather be Tom Savage that has to take the punishment than Watson.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you cared about video evidence and analysis, you'd be of the opinion that Savage actually performed better than Watson....but that goes against the narrative you want advanced, so you ignore the parts you don't want to see and hype up any small thing you can find that works with your narrative.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I just can't get passionate about defending either guy. They just don't have the ability to succeed.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

You are delusional man, lol. It would hurt Watson's development to play behind this line. Savage wasnt making mistakes on protections. Lamm wasn't finishing plays, Allen was getting blown up 1v1 nonstop with bull rushes, XSF just isn't that good of a guard. Deshaun was inaccurate on anything that wasn't short as could be. Savage hit every single receiver in the hands, just didnt have any of them actually catch the ball. Watson didnt slow down the rush by moving, he got blasted just as much as Savage did, and held the ball longer than Savage on plays where he didn't face the intense rush.

Folks have mentioned that Savage sucks at protections. How many of those folks have counted the times where Savage was the quarterback in a game? This is only his 3rd game as a pro, so, those "folks" must be some Nostradamus type sob's. Watson just avoids more of the rush than Savage ever can, and that is his only plus comparative to the two, at this point in time.

Stop harping hard on other posters, you are not adding anything intelligent to the conversation.

TheFreak and justtxyank like this.
  15. ipaman

all true but those same guys were all decent last year. you're trying to convince me that in one offseason ALL OF THEM became terrible football players?!?! or perhaps the new QB sucks majorly making all of these nfl level OL look like scrubs in less than a year. occams razor friend.

16. justtxyank

I'm actually in agreement that normally I would just let them go out there. The reasons I think this is different:
    1) Watson has issues with the blitz already that he needs to work on. I think he can better at that, but forcing him to get pressured on nearly every single snap is going to make him keep repeating that same mistake over and over. It might become unfixable if you do that.
    2) Injury. If the OLINE play is this bad going forward, the QB is going to get hurt. I'd rather it be Savage or Weeden.

17. ipaman

agreed on savage but watson has 1 offseason and 1 start under his belt. way too early still.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think specifically for Watson and for this offense (if you want to call it that), he needs time. It would have helped if he was taking all the 1st team reps in camp. The only way it would work is if O'Brien threw out his playbook and just game planned to Deshaun's strengths.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, IMO Watson is a guy that has a decently high ceiling, but a REALLY low floor. If mishandled, the Texans just wasted 2 first round picks on Jake Locker. That's why I worry about throwing him to the wolves before he's ready.....and he's CLEARLY not ready right now.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. ipaman

better LOL!!! how many TDs for Watson after 1 game and Savage after 4 years? oh and need i remind you that watson didn't prepare or get reps with the #1s. he also doesnt' had 4 years to "master" the offense like Savior Savage. better hahahahaah seriously bro....