1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It is what it is. Savage is injury prone. He missed the whole season 2 years ago. Last year he played in 2 games before getting hurt, and then didn't even make it through a half in his comeback game vs. Tennessee.

Who is really betting that Savage makes it through 16 games this season?

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It's obvious that Savage will only start a few games this year (If that). People want to see Watson and there is nothing wrong with that. Savage does have injury history, but the most important thing is, aside from one decent half as a replacement against Jacksonville, he has done nothing to merit the amount of backing he has been getting from a good portion of the fan base.

Further, the backing he gets doesn't stem from him being talented, or legitimately having a chance to carry this team through a season. It comes from pessimistic fans who don't wan't to believe in a guy who is really young and unproven, even though he has an extremely decorated collegiate career, and has been touted by some national pundits as possibly being the most talented quarterback in this year's draft. Not to mention the direct praise he has been given by O'Brien. A guy who rarely says his quarterbacks are anything other than "hardworking".

Sure, Watson may flame out, but that is no reason to inflate the value of Savage, and pretend like he has earned credibility as a guy who should be given an extended shot at the starting job for this team.

#1123 T for 3, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Bäumer and Htownballer38 like this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Let me be clear, I want Watson to start. I think he gives the Texans the best chance to win. I like Savage, seems like a nice guy with a strong arm, but I don't think he will. This is crazy, but I believe Watson beats Savage out of the starting role before the season begins. Wednesday night might change my mind or it might confirm what I am projecting. All is based on Watson having an incredible "it" factor sort of like Joe Montana. Montana didn't have great skills, didn't even look like a football player, but he just got it done. Watson is much more athletic. Both have something in common.....magical demeanor...impeccable timing. We will see.

Htownballer38 and MadMax like this.
  5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think it's 50/50 that savage stays healthy through the preseason

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's fun to see the lone poster here, who was happy Brian Hoyer's got hurt and cheered it, criticize and chide posters for simply saying Savage, who has been very injury prone throughout his career, won't make it through the whole season.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He also cheered Andre getting a concussion

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Completely different scenario, Brian Hoyer getting hurt is the sole reason the Texans made the playoffs. Savage getting hurt on the other hand could easily lead to another David Carr situation where a QB is ruined by being thrown to the wolves prematurely. There's a LOT Watson has to fix in his game before he has any business being on an NFL field and he hasn't had a chance yet to make those changes. Pretty obvious why I would be happy about one of those and not the other.

Then again, I know that we have "fans" who don't actually care about what is best for the team. It is what it is I guess.

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

So many Texans fans assume David Carr would have had this productive career if it weren't for the fact that he was thrown in early.

He wasn't good. He was never going to be good, or care enough about football to be good.

Don't immediately doom the next high draft pick qb just because he reminds you of the first one. Watson is not David Carr. He shouldn't be labeled as such before he throws a pass.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nobody in their right mind thinks Savage will last the season. Injury will likely sideline him early. Even if healthy, I doubt he'll perform well enough in 16 games to keep Watson on the bench. We have to hope Watson is ready when (not if) the Texans need him.
    Savage is nothing more than a temp placeholder. He has a huge lead over Watson just by being on the roster 3 years under BOB. I doubt Watson will push Savage aside during the preseason, but hopefully it happens during the year (if he's worth a dime). I suggest you don't read too much in the first couple of preseason games, good or bad. Unlike most, I haven't wavered in confidence in BOB. At the same time, it's clear a rookie QB will have a very tough time learning how to run his offense.

TheFreak likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The franchise was a joke back in those days and they played a big part in David Carr flopping. If he landed in a better spot, he might have been something.....just look at his brother.

As to Watson, my problem with him is that he's not ready. He needs to put in work to become a product that can succeed on the field. That's not the case for every QB, but it's absolutely the case for Watson. I mean, there's a reason why he's significantly behind Savage in camp....and not just because he doesn't know the playbook.

Anyway, I'm hoping when we get to see him in pre-season people start to see these things and stop rooting for outcomes that hurt the team.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you were a real texans fan you'd be hoping the precise opposite, that he does stuff that makes the fans who want to see him in the regular season vindicated. This just proves that you'd rather be right than see the Texans be successful.

T for 3 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So...if I was a "real Texans fan" I'd be hoping that the starting QB gets hurt and then hoping for a miracle from the rookie who isn't ready to play as of now.....as opposed to just hoping that the starter plays well? The starter that has the guys on the team behind him including the star WR?

That's just an adorable way of thinking.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Savage has been injury prone thus far, but it's too early to tell if it was just a fluke or if he's fragile

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Why would you not instead hope that Watson wins the job. He has a lot more upside.

I don't put to much stock into "training camp reports" anyway.

As for David Carr, I don't think you can say: "look at his brother". So, would Seth Curry be a multiple MVP winner if he started with the warriors? And would Steph be a backup caliber player if he didn't? I don't think so.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not sure who you are debating but NO ONE has mentioned "hoping" Savage gets hurt. You're essentially arguing against yourself.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's similar to saying "why not just play the lottery?" when talking about your financial future. Watson may have more upside, but he's nowhere near ready right now so throwing him out there just to throw him out there would very likely end poorly and could even ruin his potential.

Would Aaron Rodgers have been what he became if he was thrown to the wolves day one?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When people are excited to see Watson get on the field and saying that they hope he'll be out there week 1 or by week 4 citing that Savage will get hurt, they are hoping that he'll get hurt so that they can get the hype machine on the field sooner.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's not true and you're making many assumptions. There are many reasons that don't include injury that could see Watson start by Week 1 or Week 4. Also, you're connecting two ideas that are not connected, i.e., liking Watson does not mean hating Savage. You can like both but perhaps not equally. There is tons of context that you are removing to artificially create a black or white, absolute, tribalism viewpoints.

Personally, I like Savage for many reasons but have my doubts about his potential for long term success. With that context plus other recent rookie starting success stories, I also do hope to see Watson sooner rather than later. That doesn't mean I hate Savage or wish him harm. On the contrary, I hope he leads us to a Superbowl so we can flip Watson for some picks. I just don't see it happening (injury prone, average resume) so I want to see what the new guy can do.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The problem is that he is injury prone AND our offensive line is extremely questionable.

I'm pretty sure the young kid with athleticism will have more ability to elude a relentless pass rush rather than a statue in the mold of Joe Flacco 2.0 (minus the arm and rings).

Pretty sure all those will factor into tomorrow's preseason game too. The great thing, for Savage, is that he has already been named the starter and most likely won't get many snaps due to that.

I'll just be glad when we can have an extended look at our new QB of the future Deshaun.