1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Fair... I choose to go with the story of when the pick was in, only one person in the room was smiling. Not one other single person seemed to have a glimmer of hope or belief in the pick.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tony Pauline was there in the room and wrote the article

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ok, but if you had a choice, next year's 1st round, or we had tanked this year (before knowing how this year was going to end) which would you have taken. Honestly tho, if you say tank then I don't know that we can keep up the convo.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Was he?

Not that it matters much but I haven't seen where he said he was

7. Buck Turgidson

Maybe they all already knew what was happening and didn't feel the need to jump up and down backslapping and gladhanding? (I've never understood why they do that anyway) I don't really give a **** so I'll drop this until there's some sort of source with some sort of actual commentary other than just reading people's body language and reactions to something they already knew was going to happen.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So do you remember that last year? People saying we should tank for Watson even though it would be hard to tank enough to get the first pick? I would much rather have last season go how it did and trade next year's first than tank all last season, but that's just me.

9. justtxyank

His quote was that he and others in the room felt like something was wrong observing the faces of the Texans

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If a hot stripper / playmate picked up the phone and said "yes, I would love to come over."

Doorbell rings = (Pick is in) & none of your boys are excited but 1? Lot of gay dudes in the room.

#Texans

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Here is his quote:
    Unlike the handshakes, hugs and backslapping that went on in other war rooms, many in Houston looked as though they had just awoken on Christmas morning and found no presents under the tree after it was announced the team traded up and selected quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Watching the stone-faced expression on the face of head coach Bill O’Brien and the subdued attitude of those sitting at their desks made me and others I was with feel something was not right.

He said it made he and others he was with feel something was not right. That's like me and you watching on TV and both feeling some kind of way of what we just watched.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The Texans should have a boatload of cap space next offseason, that should aleviate some of the sting from not having a pick during the first two rounds of next year's draft.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

14. justtxyank

Fair enough. Honestly I struggle to believe that Watson wasn't someone obrien signed off on.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How on earth would this come off as shocking to everyone except Rick Smith? That makes absolutely zero sense. Going into this draft they organizationally knew exactly what each individual thought of Watson and what may be necessary to get him. I just don't buy that this was a move everyone in that room hated or was taken by surprise with. No chance.

16. Fantasma Negro

"Doesn't matter Brian, National Champion Brian"

17. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

NFL Network stayed on that shot for about 10 seconds, and I think that picture accurately reflects the scene. Rick beaming and everyone else like mannequins. Definitely struck me as strange. I do recall Cal McNair turning around and having a smile with Rick.

I have no idea how good Watson will be, but the outlook on this season went from groan to really interesting in an instant with this pick. Also, I liked it better when Cowherd and Skip Bayless were anti-Houston. It makes me uncomfortable feeling like I have something in common with those bozos.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I am not saying that Mahomes is ready to play or will be a better player than Watson.

All I am saying is that IF O'Brien wanted Mahomes more, and settled for Watson.... then that is concerning.

At this point no one other than Rick Smith and Bob O'Brien has any idea as to who wanted Watson or anyone else.... both make sure that they are fairly insulated.

I hope Watson is at least a good starting QB, he seems to be a genuinely good person and hard worker.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Agreed, that whole plot line is utterly ridiculous.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed. Plus he has said he liked him in two different press conferences. He said they interviewed him for a long time and walked away impressed. Anyone that wants to start the narrative again is just someone trying to paint a picture that wasn't true.