1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 Cinema Awards] 89th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 24, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The weird part is that Emma Stone claims she still had her envelope. So did they have two?

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya but wonder if you'd still be in a little bit of a disbelief if you opened the wrong card. But can't blame either of them really.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm just surprised that nobody in the production team is privy to the results... not a single person. Once they start playing the music, and they put it on screen who the winners are, its really hard to un-do all of that without it being totally embarrassing.

Having just one person on the production team who knows every winner could be the final safety net, and he could basically abort any chance the wrong winners actually come up on stage and get handed trophies.

Then again, a digital version of the "card" would also solve everything as well... or simply put it on the screen. I know part of the "drama" is opening the envelope... but this sort of drama needs to never happen again.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure they have a backup for everything.

They've already admitted they gave over the wrong envelope. It is dumb that it happened on the last award of the night... then again, when the show is almost over, and all the "pressure" is close to being done, that's probably when mistakes are most likely.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is a lot of people gambling on this event. Now if some one in production knows then they might leak it. Moonlight was 4/1 so someone could have made a lot of money betting on it.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'd be held to the same standards (and harsh penalties) as the PWC employees who know the results ahead of time.

Hundreds of millions watch this around the world every year... that's slightly more impactful than vegas wagering.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone have a link to the best uptodate explanation.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Time for the Oscars to switch accounting firms. To PWC, tough sh*t....you blew it.

Bonnie and Clyde drove into a hail of bullets massacre. How fitting that this would happen to Faye and Warren who played the duo.

SHOTS FIRED!

#128 Surfguy, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    LAM likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Some how, they gave Warren a duplicate Best Actress envelope even though all envelopes should have been coming from the same briefcase and the other one should have been an untouched back-up...assuming Emma still had her envelope that Leonardo gave her (which that one was opened and it looked like Warren opened an unopened one). It's a colossal f-up that shouldn't have happened.

The only other explanation I could see is they had two envelopes that were Best Actress duplicates in the same briefcase...which I highly doubt is what happened. I thought all envelopes were neatly arranged and this was as easy as it gets to just hand presenters the correct envelope. It boggles the mind. It's not rocket science. The only confusing factor is that envelopes are not marked I don't think. So, if they get out of order, then yikes.

10. heypartner

thx....but where are you getting this info. Are you watching TV or is there a link? I was hoping to read the explanation from a source. Not that I don't trust you, but I'm sure others would like a link, too. You know, D&D rules.

11. heypartner

What I find very funny is after the Miss Universe f2ck up, these smug assholes of The Academy probably laughed at Steve Harvey and said, "those stupid idiots. that would never happen to us."

Then bam!

12. Surfguy

Just speculating. Will be interesting to see if we get the play-by-play.

13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

In some way or form, i feel like this was staged. When Steve Harvey fiasco happened with Miss Universe (where they incorrectly crowned Miss Colombia) it sparked so much attention.

Look what happened here: almost the same results occurred where we are immediately talking about it the next day, and ppl are searching for it on the internet. If Moonlight had won without this controversy, we wouldn't be sitting around the water cooler talking about it

Warren Beatty and Faye Duanway were the fall guys for this

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The real irony is that La La Land's ending parallels this ending pretty closely.

LAM likes this.
  15. heypartner

Once announced, it's a pretty big f33k up, no matter how fast you can stop it afterwards. The Winner will be jumping up with their emotional rush. Likewise, the losers disappointment has already hit. Rather than production crew, maybe the safety net just stands on stage just off camera...close enough for Beatty and Dunaway to call over if bamboozled.

But an alternate f33k up is the "back up" person screwing up and incorrectly trying to stop a correct announcement. That would be really funny :D

As for fixing it. I always question leaders of something like this who later demand "Answers! and Change!". Even if you switch to teleprompters or something digital, doesn't mean you can stop a once in 86 yr screw up. If Beatty had the card that the guy who corrected the mistake showed us last night, how can you not be more clear in wording than that. If he read it wrong, then well, he could read anything wrong.

And if he was given wrong card, then such a mistake can happen throughout the support apparatus of any method....digital, teleprompter or otherwise, no?

#135 heypartner, Feb 27, 2017
  16. Buck Turgidson

Try hollywoodreporter.com heyp, if you're really interested. Apparently this happened once before in the 60's with one of the music categories.

Also, a producer listed in the In Memoriam segment is in fact not dead.

heypartner likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

There's a briefcase on each side of the stage, they alternate depending on which side the presenters enter from. Somehow that got mixed up. You'd think either the person handing them out or the presenter would actually look at the envelope before heading to the stage, considering that the category is printed on the outside.

I've pretty much exhausted my give a **** about this. Good luck getting to the bottom of it!

heypartner likes this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Warren Beatty did realize he had the wrong card. I don't know why he gave the card to dunway. He should have just stopped at that point.

#138 Air Langhi, Feb 27, 2017
    LAM likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, technically he did stop... I think he didn't know what to do. She's the one who didn't think twice and announced the first thing she saw.

Obviously, anybody would be flustered in that situation (young/old).

20. Surfguy

In a simple world, that would be an okay way to do it. Unfortunately, that does include the possibility of handing out a duplicate due to human error. I would not do it that way if I wanted it to be foolproof. Sounds like they took it for granted because that's how it's been done. The other briefcase should be strictly a back-up...only accessed if needed. Otherwise, play with one set of envelopes and have them assigned to the correct sides. If they have two sets...one on each side, then that is potentially more trouble than it's worth.

I guess they are going to refine this mess now that they have experienced essentially a worst case scenario.