1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 Cinema Awards] 89th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its these two peoples fault.

Martha Ruiz and Brian Cullinan

Can a partner be fired?

4. Buck Turgidson

Only thing that would have made that better was if they had mistakenly announced Manchester By the Sea and Kimmel got to yank an Oscar out of Damon's hands.

heypartner, Clutch, RasaqBoi and 2 others like this.
  5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The ****-up to surpass all previous Oscar ****-ups. NOT the way you want to go down in cinematic history. Inconceivable!

7. what

what Member

That was terrible. Not only does Moonlight NOT get their surprise moment, the mix-up overshadowed the win.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, and Matt Damon is a normally gifted guy and Ben's guest Plus One.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Eh, chances are it gets remembered even more now.

I had to struggle to remember who won last year's best picture. Kept thinking Birdman, then the big short. (It was actually spotlight).

But I agree... you can't make this sort of mistake at this award show... let alone for the most important and LAST award of the night (that probably baffles me the most...they get every 2 bit costume design and best subtitle award right... but flub the best picture one).

It's almost too big of a mistake to have been done unintentionally. It would be tremendously easy to intentionally hand the presenter the wrong card.

Probably just need to go digital now. End the card madness.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. I can't remember who won best picture most years but you'll never forget this one.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Stop the elder abuse. It wasn't his fault.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Obviously we all know it was a goofed up envelope and not Warren Beatty that messed up but why was he blamed to begin with? She's the one that read it.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably because in the moment when all the confusion hit and trophies were being taken away from the La La land people, he was the one who came back on stage and tried to explain the mix-up.

I actually give him slightly more credit now... he didn't foolishly announce the wrong card like Dunaway did... and he seemed to take on more blame than he should have by trying to explain himself afterwards (although there would have been no "right" way to do that... everybody ends up looking bad no matter what).

DreamShook likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Watching the replay it seemed like he knew something was wrong but was unsure of himself and then Dunaway just said it.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It's the Oscar's, nobody gives a **** and nobody will remeber the movie that won anyways.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The card said what category the award was for at the bottom. But, I don't think Faye or Warren could read it without their glasses. Warren could have said something. He messed up by showing it to Faye who just read the title she saw not knowing any better or even thinking anything was wrong. He kind of set her up. Warren handled it best he could after with his explanation but he was just in a situation where he's on live TV and didn't know what to do knowing it was likely wrong. Would have been great if he just stopped and said "this isn't right...can we get someone out here!". Instead, it looked a bit like he was having a senior moment but can't blame him really.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly, just a gathering of a bunch of damn entitled hypocrites.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same old perverse, agenda laden, political, "balancing act" by the Academy.

In 2017, poetic justice/inevitable, that it should end like that.

As a lover of film, and it's history....I've continued to watch each year, but this.....

#118 Plowman, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    mick fry likes this.
  19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I need to see Moonlight and a lot of the other best picture nominees. Only one that doesn't sound too interesting to me is Fences, but maybe I'll see it someday.

The three movies I did see were all great (Arrival, Hell or High Water, and La La Land). All in all, I think it was a pretty good set of nominees this year.

By the way, that producer of La La Land did about as good of job as anyone could have to resolve the mistake. Kudos to that guy.

713 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's old and was probably a little tipsy. He doesn't do much in the way of public speaking anymore, so maybe he was stumped. I know he won some award a few years ago where he gave a rambling speech and appeared drunk off his butt to me.

Clearly a big screw up.