1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 CFP National Championship: (1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2016.

?

(1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Poll closed Jan 8, 2017.
  1. Alabama

55.0%
  2. Clemson

45.0%
  1. Major

Major Member

What? The idea is that it didn't matter if Alabama stopped them or committed a penalty. I think the suggestion is Alabama just grab everyone and yank them down. Doesn't matter how illegal or obvious it is. The end result is that time still runs off the clock, so Clemson has to kick a FG (or risk winning or losing on one play) The point was was that there was no upside to NOT committing a penalty there.

It's happened a few times before, like that obvious crazy holding play on punt as the last play of a game in the NFL earlier this year. Sometimes, committing a penalty is the smart play.

2. Major

Major Member

I think the idea is that your defenders just run straight up and grab and pull down the receiver right in front of them. A better way to do it is to start all your defenders offsides, a foot from each receiver so on the snap, you literally just pull them all down.

The risk here is that if you're just focused on that, the QB might be able to run in, I guess.

I think they've changed the 12-men on defense rule so they can call it before the snap now, but in the past, you could also just put 25 defenders out there and do the same thing that way.

3. Buck Turgidson

Or the WR just dekes the DB, swim move and runs downfield with nobody around.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree not tackling the wide receivers is the better defensive option due that fact that if you do it is essentially giving Watson the option to run with no consequences and no outside containment. It's a free play and he has all the advantages from the 2 yard line. Saban would end up looking more like a fool.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

???? Not sure if serious. You realize pick and roll is not the same thing as a pick play in football right? Pick and roll takes skill to operate out of and isn't a loophole in how refs officiate it. Moving screens in basketball are more akin to pick plays in football. Both are illegal, just aren't called as often because it's so hard to officiate. I'd rather see players better use LEGAL screens to get open because it shows finesse and footwork. I'd rather see players and playcallers use LEGAL schemes to get their receivers open. Moving screens ****ed us over in the Rockets-Mavs series, it's how the Warriors were so successful the past couple of years with that prick Bogut, and pick plays are how the Patriots are so successful, and screwed over Bama (not that I care...I wanted Clemson to win but if it was my team I would be pissed). I'd just rather see skill win out than a glitch (albeit, smart) in the system.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

That's too much football - even though most of the players aren't there to excel academically, it would cut into the spring semester. Plus, there ARE other bowl games that teams would love to play in, because of finances. If you were the 16th seed, you'd probably have to face the Alabamas and Clemsons of the league.

Why would I want to get slaughtered by them, when I can participate in a bowl game that I have a chance to win?

You can argue for or against an expansion to 6 teams, but 16 is way too much.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

@A_3PO @tinman Got it! Clemson's new QB will have great players to throw to.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

The whole allure, well at least to me, of college football is the fact that every game matters and every loss is a significant hit to your chances of playing for a national championship. With your 16 team format, three 4 loss teams would have made the playoffs this year and it significantly devalues the results of a regular season. I could maybe deal with a 6 team playoff in the future but I personally like the 4 team playoff as of right now.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Edit - quoted the wrong person....Meant to quote @BigDog63

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To me, 6 would be perfect. I'm also fine with 4. I am NOT a fan of guaranteeing any conferences spots.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My guess is guaranteeing the big 5 champions a spot is the only way expansion is even considered.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know why you mentioned me, but Clemson has had talented WRs

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

...because you answered my question about Renfrow.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member