1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Fangraphs does a preseason list, I expect they will be high site on Tucker. MLB Pipeline had Martes Top 20.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4 of the top 54? Nice.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I wonder if industry publications now putting those guys higher up the lists increases their attractiveness to the white sox in a Quintana deal.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If it does, the White Sox have major issues.

Yaosthirdleg, awc713 and RocketFan007 like this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If the White Sox don't have their own analytics telling them what they need to know about our prospects, then that's a very shoddy organization.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Doubtful as these lists mostly reflects what the industry generally already views the prospects. There isn't a consensus in the industry which is reflected by differences in lists. I doubt CWS is less informed than BA on what other teams generally value.

7. xcrunner51

I agree it would be really shoddy of the White Sox to base their eval on the industry publications but from a PR standpoint, it might be more reasonable to the fanbase if the fanbase knows the team is getting two top 20 prospects instead of two top 40 prospects.

My point was that a crappy team still has to consider how their fanbase reacts to sell-off moves. I remember the hubbub over the Cosart trade.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I disagree. The White Sox traded for prospects loved by publications (outdated) and not so much scouts/front offices. You can look at from two different angles, either the White Sox know their return isn't as great as the media has portrayed it to be or the White Sox are a dated organization. What I can tell you is that the trade publications are dated and scouts/organizations do not give complete or honest information.

The White Sox are a very dated organization and their minor league instruction is lacking. They have a very good pitching coach that works well with getting the most out of starters, but that is it. I am sure Rick Hahn will try to update the organization but it isn't even clear how much say he has.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Highly doubt most front offices don't like Moncado and Kopech even if some have soured on Moncado. Also, highly doubt publication is too out out of date when they talk to teams up to the point they release the list when meaningful baseball hasn't been played in months.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Giolito and Kopech for sure.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Baseball Prospectus Top 101 Prospects

28. Francis Martes
    37. Kyle Tucker
    83. David Paulino
    84. Franklin Perez

No Worries likes this.
  12. xcrunner51

The more I see Martes and Perez getting the prospect respect they deserve, the less inclined I am to want to trade them.

Paulino and Perez need to build some durability, but otherwise that's some really good high-level RHP depth.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looking at the various lists, there is a lot of upside for a few of the highly thought of prospects in the lower minors:

Tucker: with a good year he will be one of the top 15 prospects in baseball.

Franklin Perez: if he has a good year he will likely be a 20 year old in AA. If he even holds his own he will be a Top 25 type of prospect.

Whitley: could end up in the Top 50 if he does well in full season ball.

Others who could be Top 100 by the end of the year:

Miguelangel Sierra
    Wrenn
    Rogers
    Elieser Hernandez
    Framber Valdez
    Cameron
    Hector Perez
    Cionel Perez
    Lupe Chavez
    Gilberto Celestino
    Freudys Nova

Depending on how many they trade away, I predict Houston will have 5-6 Top 100 prospects in October.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It hurts to see Josh Hader at #19.

That deal has really sucked and if we had him (and Phillips, Santana, & Houser), it would be that much easier to make a deal for Quintana today. If Carlos Gomez hand't failed his physical with the Mets (or not passed ours)...

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nottingham and Hader were the two guys I was really bummed about trading away at that deadline. Phillips was too fast of a riser and I felt good that they were trading him at peak value. Santana had proven to me that he was too strikeout prone to have a high ceiling, and I thought Mengden and Houser were fringe prospects. I was surprised Nottingham busted and Mengden was able to contribute so quickly, but that's the nature of prospects. Hader is really the one who could come back to bite Houston in a major way, and I'm disappointed I was right about him so far.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No Worries likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Very surprised he's not there or very close already on more lists.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Gurriel wins rookie of the year.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Just for reference here is where they were listed on other lists (BA/MLB/ESPN/Minorleagueball)

Martes (15/20/37/29)
    Tucker (19/35/57/36)
    Paulino (51/54/not there/38)
    Perez (54/not there/66/93)

Law thinks Paulino is a reliever so he did not list him. Callis/Mayo had Perez in the 101-115 area.

No Worries likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why didn't you include BP?